What CAT tool to use for Corel Draw v11/12?
Thread poster: Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:32
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Oct 13, 2005

Dear folks,

Has anyone used a CAT tool to process and translate Corel Draw v11/12 files? If yes, which one? Deja vu or Trados doesn't seem to be suitable...I many be wrong.

Thanks in advance,
Marcus

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
There is no CAT AFAIK to process graphics applications Oct 13, 2005

Nevertheless, I managed to translate CDR using Trados.
This is a bit harder than usuall, as you need to mark a sentence, press CTRL+C, then translate it and paste it again.
T-Window for Clipboard ist the key to this method.
You can set it up to auto activate and open-get on CTRL+C and auto copy text to clipboard after the translation. When pasting in Corel you can select, that you will paste only text, without format atributes - this has worked quite fine for me. And I'm translating into Polish, which has bigger requirements as English for example due to special characters.

Regards
Jerzy

Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CDR in PC? Oct 13, 2005

Jerzy,

Thanks a lot for the quick answer. Dumb question: to use T-Window for Clipboard, do you need to have Corel Draw installed in your PC as well?

Marcus

Alan Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
You need CorelDraw Oct 13, 2005

Marcus,

if you want to work with the CorelDraw file you will need the application. AFAIK there is no other way to do it except to get the client to export the file as text (ANSI) or to a Word file. That would be easiest if you don't have CorelDraw.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Not a dumb question Oct 13, 2005

Sorry, this was a stupid answer myself.
I should have stated that - of course you MUST have Corel Draw installed, othewise you won't be able to open the file.
And I was indeed reffering to PC only...
But I do not know, if there is Corel Draw for Mac?

Regards
Jerzy

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Experiment with SVG Oct 14, 2005

Marcus Malabad wrote:
Has anyone used a CAT tool to process and translate Corel Draw v11/12 files? If yes, which one? Deja vu or Trados doesn't seem to be suitable...I many be wrong.

CorelDraw can export to SVG. To date my experiments with exporting to SVG hasn't been very successful because (a) I don't have CorelDraw and have to borrow a computer from someone at the office and (b) I haven't been able to figure out what is the best setting for exporting graphics. But anything that can translate HTML, can translate SVG as well (you'll just have to configure the tagging yourself). CorelDraw can also import SVG, obviously.

The problem with CorelDraw files is that text is often converted to curves by the client, because the DTP operator has the habit of doing so before sending it off to the press. Another bugger is when CorelDraw retains the text as text (so that is is editable in CorelDraw), but automatically converts it to curves when exporting to any other format (this is one of those annoying CorelDraw-knows-better-what-you-would-want features).

If your CorelDraw file contains lots of bitmapped pictures, SVG may not be for you, but if it contains mostly text and vector based graphics, then SVG may be a solution. Just don't expect lossless roundtripping. The advantage of using SVG even if the conversion is less than perfect, is that the DTP operator needn't be a speaker of the language because the text already sits in their right places.

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Extract/insert text Oct 14, 2005

Corel Draw has two obscure features: Extract Text and Merge Text. In fact, they are so obscure that they are not available by default from the menu, you have to put them there with the Customize option.

What they do, essentially, is extract all text strings from Corel drawings to a text file. There you can change it and merge it back to the drawing. It is of course possible to use Word and your favorite TM, you just need to watch the structure closely (i.e. paragraph marks/end of lines).

Of course, the results vary - for paragraph texts it works quite well, for artistic texts less so. The amount of post-editing may be significant, especially if the target language tends to be longer or shorter. However, this should not be really your problem...

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Extract and Merge works wonders! Oct 18, 2005

Jabberwock wrote:
Corel Draw has two obscure features: Extract Text and Merge Text. In fact, they are so obscure that they are not available by default from the menu, you have to put them there with the Customize option.

I've experimented with this and it works mostly. Why, just today one of the ad reps failed to tell us that an advert must be made up in Afrikaans, so the DTP operator made it up in English (in CorelDraw 11), and when we discovered that it had to be in Afrikaans, we did the experiment: extract the text, let me translate it using Wordfast (marking the untranslatable text as tw4winExternal), and importing ("merging") it back into CorelDraw. What would have taken two hours, took less than 20 minutes (this includes the time to translate).

Basically, the extracted file starts with a line like this:

a#0#4#0#5#5#

and the entries look like this:

@PTXT
<P:0001>2003 BMW 318I HR
<P:0002>Sportpak, silwer, 58 800 km, motorplan tot
<P:0003>100 000 km
<P:0004>R184 990
<P:---->
<CDR>

@PTXT
<P:0001>2003 COLT CLUBCAB 3.0 V6
<P:0002>Leer, 106 000 km, DR
<P:0003>R129 990
<P:---->
<CDR>

Paste the contents of the extracted file in an empty MS Word document, change ^p to ^l, then mark (\@)(*)(^l) as tw4winExternal, then mark (\< )(*)(\> ) as tw4winExternal, and then change ^l back to ^p. Translate using Wordfast, do a quick-clean, and save as plaintext.

Caveat: you can't change the sequence of the text, so if the source text spans several code segments, you'll have to cripple your target text somewhat.

[Edited: Grrr, Proz's forum system automatically removes XML from the post and it changes certain things to smileys which shouldn't be smileys, hence the extra spaces above.]

[Edited at 2005-10-18 17:56]

Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:32
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Wrong file format or could not open Jan 31, 2007

I get this error when I try to merge a txt export file to which I added Greek text. I use Coreldraw X3.

Svg export creates a list of numbers.

[Edited at 2007-01-31 05:46]

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Sorry to resurrect an old thread... Dec 10, 2007

Spiros Doikas wrote:
I get this error when I try to merge a txt export file to which I added Greek text. I use Coreldraw X3.

Svg export creates a list of numbers.

Hi all,

Did anyone else than Spiros try Extract/Merge in the X3 version yet?
I'm trying to repeat his bug, and I get similar results.

When using Corel's preinstalled templates (like business letter busLet_001), the Extract Text tool creates a text file, but the content displays garbled chars instead of my text.
And when using Merge Text, I get an error message saying "Wrong file format or could not open", just like Spiros. And I even made sure just to use plain English chars, so it can't be a font issue.

If I don't use the templates, but start from a new file, I can extract, and the text file looks OK, but upon merging the process stalls after one textbox.

Export as SVG works better (although there's a huge bloating of coordinates in the text, maybe that's the list of numbers Spiros saw?).
Initially, I had problems with SVG garbling my Swedish chars, but I realized it was not Corel's fault, but TextPad not having support for Unicode. After opening the SVG in a UTF8-capable editor (such as EmEditor) everything looks fine, and will also reimport without glitches!
All well that ends well!

/Jan

[Edited at 2007-12-10 12:32]

TSDM
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:32
Russian to English
Mysterious extract/merge command Nov 11, 2009

Could someone please post a description of where to find this mysterious extract/merge command?

I'm using version X4 and I see nothing about this in the help documentation anywhere.

Thanks very much in advance!

Rafał Kwiatkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
German to Polish
+ ...
Here You are Nov 24, 2009

Tools => Customization => Commands then select "All (show All Items) find these two commands and drag them somewhere into your existing toolbars.

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:32
English to Dutch
+ ...
Adding the extract and merge text commands in CorelDraw! Feb 2, 2011

It is described a little more in detail here: coreldraw.com/forums/p/18327/78122.aspx
but as usual I can't get it to work. I get a message like this: "Warning. Latest changes must be saved before extracting" and then CorelDraw does nothing. But anyone reading this might be lucky.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What CAT tool to use for Corel Draw v11/12?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search