Similis version 1.4.5. from Lingua et Machina
Thread poster: alvanice
alvanice
alvanice
Local time: 08:38
English to French
+ ...
Nov 11, 2005

Does anybody know (or work with) this translation tool for Word, PDF and TXT files? I've just had a demonstration by one of their representatives and it seems to work pretty well. I'd be glad to hear from you about that. Thank you!

Barnaby Capel-Dunn
Barnaby Capel-Dunn  Identity Verified
French to English
Pretty good Nov 11, 2005

Hi Alvanice

I just recently bought Similis too and am feeling my way with it, but I must say I'm rather impressed with what I see. I can't say that I'm a great expert with CAT tools (my only other experience is with Logiterm) but my initial judgement is that Similis scores in its ability to recognise what it calls "chunks" (parts of segments) and not just segments in previously created bitexts. This is potentially a great advantage.
I've written to the editor suggesting that t
... See more
Hi Alvanice

I just recently bought Similis too and am feeling my way with it, but I must say I'm rather impressed with what I see. I can't say that I'm a great expert with CAT tools (my only other experience is with Logiterm) but my initial judgement is that Similis scores in its ability to recognise what it calls "chunks" (parts of segments) and not just segments in previously created bitexts. This is potentially a great advantage.
I've written to the editor suggesting that they create a user's forum. Or perhaps someone could do this at proz?

Best

Barnaby
Collapse

EdithM
EdithM
English to French
Similis - Good Nov 14, 2005

Hi,
I agree with Barnaby. It’s very helpful to have the translations not only of sentences but also of parts of sentences. Similis uses a linguistic analyser and identifies "nominal groups" and their translations.
I also think that the terminological extraction is very efficient. You can create big glossaries automatically when aligning. And you can use several glossaries or memories simultaneously in one project.
If you're using Trados, you can import your tmx memories int
... See more
Hi,
I agree with Barnaby. It’s very helpful to have the translations not only of sentences but also of parts of sentences. Similis uses a linguistic analyser and identifies "nominal groups" and their translations.
I also think that the terminological extraction is very efficient. You can create big glossaries automatically when aligning. And you can use several glossaries or memories simultaneously in one project.
If you're using Trados, you can import your tmx memories into Similis.
The negative point of similis is the slowness of treatment (because of the linguistic analyse). But if you’re well organised, you can overcome this obstacle. Some functionalities are missing but we must be patient.

Best regards
Edith
Collapse

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
testing of Similis Nov 19, 2005

I started testing and a software review of Similis 1.4.x (either .3 or .5) to make a review of it available at the http://www.geocities.com/langtecheval , but then my son was hospitalized and the Similis license expired on me.
I haven't had time in the past 2 weeks to follow-up on it to get a renewed license to continue the review.

... See more
I started testing and a software review of Similis 1.4.x (either .3 or .5) to make a review of it available at the http://www.geocities.com/langtecheval , but then my son was hospitalized and the Similis license expired on me.
I haven't had time in the past 2 weeks to follow-up on it to get a renewed license to continue the review.

Jeff
http://www.geocities.com/jeffallenpubs/
Collapse

Igor Kazmierski
Igor Kazmierski  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
English to French
+ ...
Hype or the Next Big Thing ? May 23, 2006

I think it's time for some Thread Necromancy...

I've just heard about Similis on the radio, and checked the internet site of L&M. I must say that I'm very interested in this new CAT tool, but fail to find any extensive review on the subject. Has the Similis-using community grown ? What are the qualities/drawback of this software , as compared to the more traditional Trados or Wordfast ?

Thanks in advance !

Igor

Marcelina Haftka
Marcelina Haftka  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Any news on Similis Nov 2, 2010

Has anyone tried the tool since the last posts above?

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Similis for free Nov 3, 2010

Marcelina Haftka wrote:

Has anyone tried the tool since the last posts above?

No time...
But the tool is distributed for free now (one year license), so I'll probably find some time...

Cheers
GG

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
What worries me with this tool... Nov 4, 2010

is that it was apparently used to create the non-French contents of the publisher's website.

As per myself, I couldn't resist checking out the German pages of said website. They contain basic errors, so I assume that the contents were translated with the software in question and left unedited!

I would therefore venture to say that they are a powerful advertisement against this tool.

How's that for seriousness?

[Edited at 2010-11-04 06:26 GMT]

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Multiterm case etc. Nov 4, 2010

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

is that it was apparently used to create the non-French contents of the publisher's website.

As per myself, I couldn't resist checking out the German pages of said website. They contain basic errors, so I assume that the contents were translated with the software in question and left unedited!

I would therefore venture to say that they are a powerful advertisement against this tool.

How's that for seriousness?

Generally, I agree the software quality often matches the quality of its translated versions (e.g. see SDL Multiterm in French).

No special advocacy against Similis, but when one creates software for translators, these "details" really matter...
In the same way, no help, tutorials avalable only in French, I don't understand how they want to promote their software worldwide...
I would say, a quintessence of French approach to programming

Nonetheless, Similis is based on very interesting concepts related to natural language processing, it may refresh our opinions on other technologies

Cheers
GG

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Great concepts, indeed... Nov 4, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
Nonetheless, Similis is based on very interesting concepts related to natural language processing, it may refresh our opinions on other technologies

Cheers
GG

so I am not opposed to testing a "free version" such as the one you mentioned in a previous reply.

However, I wonder whether L & M's approach is intentional or only linked to cultural blindfolds - in any case, they would need a bit of consultancy as per international markets (or have a look at the way Yves Champollion deals with Wordfast marketing)...

ETA: my concerns as per the supposedly German contents range from "Near enough, mate, it looks German so leave it at that" to "Wow, even a professional translator couldn't have done it better". Between these two, there is sadly enough room for not so flattering interpretations and a suspicion of sloppiness.

[Edited at 2010-11-04 08:40 GMT]

Cristina Grassi
Cristina Grassi  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:38
English to Italian
+ ...
Just downloaded Lingua et Machina Jan 9, 2014

Hi all,

I start my post saying that I am new to the translation industry, so my experience is still limited.

Anyway, I have just downloaded this translation tool.
I have seen that it has some interesting features, such as the translation of PDF documents and the possibility to choose how to pre-translate your document. I haven't had the time to try it out properly, but I will keep you up to date with my experiment.

Have a good translation day,
<
... See more
Hi all,

I start my post saying that I am new to the translation industry, so my experience is still limited.

Anyway, I have just downloaded this translation tool.
I have seen that it has some interesting features, such as the translation of PDF documents and the possibility to choose how to pre-translate your document. I haven't had the time to try it out properly, but I will keep you up to date with my experiment.

Have a good translation day,

Cristina
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Similis version 1.4.5. from Lingua et Machina

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »