MS Office: will I get German spellcheck & thesaurus in if I buy in the UK?
Thread poster: OlafK
OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:01
English to German
+ ...
Jul 23, 2002

Can anybody tell me if I will get spellcheck and Thesaurus in German if I buy MS Office in the UK? I have got MS Office for Mac which I bought in Germany and it includes spellcheck and Thesaurus for I don\'t know how many languages. Now I am buying a PC and am afraid that the UK Version of MS Office for Windows might not come with these and I will have to buy them seperately.

Should I better order it in Germany?

Yuri Dubrov
Yuri Dubrov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 05:01
English to Russian
+ ...
You will need some .dll-files Jul 23, 2002

You can find them on the web. It depends, what version\'s been installed.

regards,

Yuri

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:01
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Not necessary to order in Germany Jul 23, 2002

As far as I know the US-version of Office includes a spelling checker for Germany too.

If you buy Office in UK and then do not have the spelling checker for German, you can still buy a package called Proofing Tool Kit (I payed about DM 199,00). It includes language support for MS Office even in languages like Polish or Hungarian.

It works really fine.

HTH

Best

Jerzy

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 04:01
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Microsoft Office 2000 Proofing Tools Jul 23, 2002

can be bought.

It includes:

Arabic to Ukranian

and with German you get spellchecker, grammar checke, thesaurus, hyphenation tool, autocorrect and auto summarize

I use it since 2 years

Mats

Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)
Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Finnish
+ ...
Office XP Jul 23, 2002

I bought MS Office XP (2002) in the UK and as far as I know, in addition to English, the spell check includes languages such as French and German. I can\'t verify this now because since then I have bought and installed the MS Proofing Tools 2002 (I needed the Finnish spell check). This tool includes more than 40 languages and at Amacon.co.uk you can get it at around £60.

Minna

pbp28
pbp28  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 23:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
where on the net? Jul 23, 2002

I\'m using 200x (can\'t remember exactly) and purchased the French, English and Spanish packages. The other languages do not work (the files are simply not included in the software package).

Thanks,

Pili

OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:01
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, everybody Jul 23, 2002

I just found a Microsoft page about proofing tools in Office XP. It says that every localised version comes with a different set of proofing tools. The English Version contains: English, French, Spanish. The German Version: German, English, French, Italian.

So the German version covers my main languages and I don\'t have to buy additional proofing tools for 48 languages. For proofing other languages, which is rare enough, I just use my Mac Version. Isn\'t it strange that Microsoft does
... See more
I just found a Microsoft page about proofing tools in Office XP. It says that every localised version comes with a different set of proofing tools. The English Version contains: English, French, Spanish. The German Version: German, English, French, Italian.

So the German version covers my main languages and I don\'t have to buy additional proofing tools for 48 languages. For proofing other languages, which is rare enough, I just use my Mac Version. Isn\'t it strange that Microsoft doesn\'t include support for more languages in their Windows MS Office package while most translators use Windows rather than Mac? I wonder why.

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS Office: will I get German spellcheck & thesaurus in if I buy in the UK?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »