Sabina Moscatelli
Italy
Local time: 00:17
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
Jun 27, 2006

Hi all

I have an urgent matter. I have been working on a file for several hours, translating it with a brand new SDLX Translation Memory. Some ten minutes ago we had a blackout and as a result the whole file is completely lost

I mean the translation memory appears to be empty...

Is there any chance to retrieve what I have done? With Trados all the segments are automatically saved into the TM.
... See more
Hi all

I have an urgent matter. I have been working on a file for several hours, translating it with a brand new SDLX Translation Memory. Some ten minutes ago we had a blackout and as a result the whole file is completely lost

I mean the translation memory appears to be empty...

Is there any chance to retrieve what I have done? With Trados all the segments are automatically saved into the TM. What about SDLX?

Thanks a lot for your help. I am starting to panic...
Collapse

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:17
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Couple of questions Jun 27, 2006

I can't imagine that the whole work of several hours will be lost.

When working in an SDLX Edit file (ITD) the work is usually saved automatically every now and again (can be set under Tools > Options > Automation tab). I set mine to "Save every ten minutes", but I don't know what the default setting is.

What do you mean by "the translation memory appears to be empty..."? I presume you have been translating in an ITD? And is that the file which seems to be empty? (If so
... See more
I can't imagine that the whole work of several hours will be lost.

When working in an SDLX Edit file (ITD) the work is usually saved automatically every now and again (can be set under Tools > Options > Automation tab). I set mine to "Save every ten minutes", but I don't know what the default setting is.

What do you mean by "the translation memory appears to be empty..."? I presume you have been translating in an ITD? And is that the file which seems to be empty? (If so, what exactly do you see?)

Sometimes SDLX saves backup files in the same location (with the word 'backup' at the end of the file name). However, I don't really know when these backup files are created - I just noticed that when my computer crashes while translating in SDLX, I often find a backup file, so that not much work is lost. If your ITD file is indeed empty or corrupted, then you might be lucky and find such a file in your folder.

So, is it really the TM which seems to be empty or the ITD file?
Collapse

Sabina Moscatelli
Sabina Moscatelli
Italy
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Thomas Jun 27, 2006

thanks for your prompt reply first of all.

There is no backup file, unfortunately. Who knows why.

The Automatic Save time is 10 minutes in my case as well.

If I open the file I see both the source and the target text still in German, while the TM, which I opened through Maintain is completely empty. There is no single segment inside it, although I had translated some 600 segments.

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:17
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Strange Jun 27, 2006

Ok, in SDLX TMs don't get updated automatically at all. They are only updated when you do it manually at the end of a translation. So as you had never updated the TM before then this is perfectly normal and fine.

But I don't understand why the translations you had already done disappeared from the ITD file. As you set the automatic save time to 10 minutes you shouldn't have lost more than 10 minutes' worth of translation. You are saying your file looks exatly the same as before you
... See more
Ok, in SDLX TMs don't get updated automatically at all. They are only updated when you do it manually at the end of a translation. So as you had never updated the TM before then this is perfectly normal and fine.

But I don't understand why the translations you had already done disappeared from the ITD file. As you set the automatic save time to 10 minutes you shouldn't have lost more than 10 minutes' worth of translation. You are saying your file looks exatly the same as before you started translating?

What does it say in Explorer when the file was 'last saved' - before you started work or later or maybe even after the blackout? If it's after the blackout, then have you maybe applied the empty TM to the file in an attempt to retrieve your translation (without first checking the content of the ITD)? If that's the case you might have overwritten the translated segments; but that's quite unlikely (I don't know how experienced you are with SDLX), because there would have been a couple of messages to ask if you want to overwrite translated segments and whether you really want to do that.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help. If something else comes to my mind I'll let you know, but I almost fear that there is not much which can be done.
Collapse

Sabina Moscatelli
Sabina Moscatelli
Italy
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
After the blackout Jun 27, 2006

I opened the file and it was untranslated (I scrolled through it). I decided to apply the TM and had no results at all.

If I go in My Computer I can see that the TM is about 300 KB, which is too much to be empty, in my opinion. As a matter of fact, whenever I open it, it contains nothing.

Thanks a lot for your much appreciated help. I am afraid I will have to start anew...

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:17
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The translation memory is not empty Jun 28, 2006

Long time ago the same happened to me. Trados support center gave me a couple of instructions that now I've forgotten and I fail to find them in their website.
I only remember that I had to recreate the five files that are created when a new TM memory is generated. But I don't remember the exact process.
Why dont you export the TM, create an empty one and import the text file?

I will see if I can find the needed information. Regards

Clarisa

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:17
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Found it! Jun 28, 2006

A system crash can corrupt a translation memory that was open at the time of the crash, particularly if the translation memory was opened in exclusive access mode.

STEPS

If your translation memory has been corrupted by a system crash, try the following to rescue the memory:

If you are prompted to perform an emergency export when re-opening the translation memory, do the emergency export, and set up a new translation memory. Import the t
... See more
A system crash can corrupt a translation memory that was open at the time of the crash, particularly if the translation memory was opened in exclusive access mode.

STEPS

If your translation memory has been corrupted by a system crash, try the following to rescue the memory:

If you are prompted to perform an emergency export when re-opening the translation memory, do the emergency export, and set up a new translation memory. Import the text file into this new memory. It will contain all the translation units that Translator's Workbench could rescue.
If the memory cannot be opened, and no emergency export is possible:

Create a new translation memory with the same setup as the corrupted one and with the same name, in a different folder.
Exit Translator's Workbench.
Use Windows Explorer to copy the *.mdf, *.mtf, *.mwf and *.iix from the new translation memory into the directory where the old translation memory is stored. This overwrites the corresponding files of the old translation memory.
Start Translator's Workbench. You should now be able to open the old translation memory.
Reorganise the translation memory. You should now be able to use it again.
If none of this helps to restore the translation memory, contact your nearest Trados office for assistance.

Taken from: http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=861
Collapse

Sabina Moscatelli
Sabina Moscatelli
Italy
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Clarisa Jun 28, 2006

but actually I was working with SDLX, not with Trados.

Claudia Digel
Claudia Digel  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
you can automatically update the TM Jun 28, 2006

Hi Sabina,

I'm afraid, in your special case I don't have much to add to what Thomas already has said.

However, for the future it might be helpful to know that you can update TMs automatically in SDLX, just the way you do in Trados. In order to activate this function, in SDL Edit select Tools > Options, click on the Automation tab and check Automatic TM Update. If this check box is selected, your translations will be written into the TM the moment you confirm them by pr
... See more
Hi Sabina,

I'm afraid, in your special case I don't have much to add to what Thomas already has said.

However, for the future it might be helpful to know that you can update TMs automatically in SDLX, just the way you do in Trados. In order to activate this function, in SDL Edit select Tools > Options, click on the Automation tab and check Automatic TM Update. If this check box is selected, your translations will be written into the TM the moment you confirm them by pressing Enter.

Regards,
Claudia
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX and blackout: did I lose my work?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »