Evi Wollinger
Evi Wollinger  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:08
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Aug 16, 2006

I am trying to start a new translation with Wordfast. Unfortunately I am getting a message, that the document is protected or in revision mode and cannot be processed. It is a large job, what can I do?

Pernille Chapman
Pernille Chapman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:08
Member (2004)
English to Danish
+ ...
If you mean 'Read Only' mode... Aug 16, 2006

...you should be able to save the document under another name, open the new file and work on it without any problems. Otherwise, I would inform the client and ask for a new source file!

Eva Blanar
Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Change settings in Word Aug 16, 2006

Open the document, in the Tools menu, you'll see "Follow changes" (or something like that, I already forgot what it was in the English version in MS). By clicking on it, you put it off and you can start working. (The standard shortcut is Ctrl+Shift+E.)

Don't worry, nothing is wrong there: most of my clients send their documents so, and CATs usually refuse to work in this case.

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I had the same problem some time ago Aug 16, 2006

and solved it finally as follows:

In Word, go to Tools, then Revisions (in German: Änderungen verfolgen, I don't know how it is called in English) and uncheck the box "mark revisions" or something like that (Änderungen während der Bearbeitung hervorheben).

The customer sent me two or three times the same document saying each time it was ok now, but it wasn't...

Evi Wollinger
Evi Wollinger  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 16, 2006

Thank you all for your tips.
It works fine now. I had already opened the document on my laptop, which "speaks English" and unchecked those boxes. It worked after that, now I know that this was no coincidence!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Document is in revision mode/Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »