Any way of knowing which TM was used for a previous translation? .
Thread poster: xxxLia Fail
xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 2, 2006

I have to translate a text for a client for whom my last job was years ago.

How can I find out which TM I used for a particular text?

TIA:-)

Direct link Reply with quote

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:05
French to English
Some ideas Sep 2, 2006

Some CAT tools may have a specific way of determing this, I wouldn't know - I don't know that Wordfast does (which is what i use).

Also depends on your approach to TM management, do you have 1 TM per client, or per project, do you lump similar clients/projects into the same TM, or what?

Anyway:

a) if there is a 1:1 relationship for projects:TMs, you could try searching for TM files with a date/time stamp close to the date/time stamp of the last document you did for this client.

b) if all your TM's are in one folder structure, you could search the files within that structure for a short, unique phrase that occurs in the last translation you did (assuming you have a Windows search function or a similar option on your OS)

c) you could merge all your TMs into one big TM and use that - if there are repetitions, they will surely be found?

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:05
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Try google desktop search Sep 2, 2006

If the tm is still on your system it will be found. In Wf you can put all tms in one folder and start context search on a specific fragment.

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Well...? Sep 4, 2006

I can't speak for Heinrich, but personally I can't help thinking that some indication of whether our suggestions provided the desired result might have been welcome....

juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
She has gone... Sep 9, 2006

AVOL

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any way of knowing which TM was used for a previous translation? .

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search