Thread poster: Gillian Searl

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:31
Member (2004)
German to English
Sep 15, 2006

Hi!
Having a slight crisis! I have an urgent file for translating and I am supposed to do it in SDLX but my SDLX is working in demo mode so I sent a support request to get help on that. In the meantime I want to translate the file in Trados TagEditor - no problem. But I am going to get an SDLX TM and I need to convert that to a Trados TM pdq. Can anyone point me in the right direction.
Thanks
Gillian

Direct link Reply with quote

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 14:31
English to Czech
+ ...
URGENT Convert SDLX TM to TRADOS TM Sep 15, 2006

You need SDLX Maintain to convert the TM. Try if you can use it. If not, you'll probably have to ask the client to export the SDLX TM into Trados format for you.

Luca Ruella  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
SDL Maintain Sep 15, 2006

Gillian Noameshie wrote:

Hi!
Having a slight crisis! I have an urgent file for translating and I am supposed to do it in SDLX but my SDLX is working in demo mode so I sent a support request to get help on that. In the meantime I want to translate the file in Trados TagEditor - no problem. But I am going to get an SDLX TM and I need to convert that to a Trados TM pdq. Can anyone point me in the right direction.
Thanks
Gillian

If your SDLX is in Demo mode it means that your 30 day evaluation period has elapsed and you should purchase a valid license.

If you do have a valid license, you should register your software and everything will work. Registration procedure varies upon the version you're using. Are you using SDL Trados 2006 or SDLX 2005?

To export the memory in Trados format, open SDL Maintain and select TM\Export\Trados.

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your help Sep 15, 2006

This project has just been a technical nightmare from start to finish. I manage to sort out the licensing problem before converting the TM
Gillian

Marta Fernandez-Suarez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
please, any feedback? Jan 18, 2007

Hi Gilliam,

Could you tell me what happened after your last post here?

I have just found this post after finding myself in the same situation. I just though you could give me a clue of what has happened in my case.

I bought the full version of SDL Trados 2006 about 10 months ago and have been using both Trados and SDLX without anyproblems whatsoever. Suddenly, yesterday, SDLX has gone into demo mode. I can think of several things that I have done differently in the last month that could have triggered it, but I have no idea exactly of what has happened. One of the new things is that I downloaded Multiterm (that had been included in the bundle but had not come down to downloading before).

What solved your problem?

Thank you very much in advance!

Kind regards,

Marta

-----------------------------------

In my case I have
Windows XP
Office 2003

SDL Trados 2006
SDLX 2006
Multiterm

[Edited at 2007-01-18 10:50]

[Edited at 2007-01-18 11:38]

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I can't remember exactly Jan 18, 2007

But maybe you moved the licence file.

Open the SDLX program with the planet icon. It brings up a set of 14 icons. Press the Tools menu, then registration.
After that I am not sure what to do but it should point you in the right direction.
Gillian

Marta Fernandez-Suarez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
solved Jan 18, 2007

Thanks Gillian!

I found the solution in the SDL support webpage
http://sdl.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/sdl.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php

The tittle of the magic solution (the quickest/easiest solution ever!) is "Application running in demo mode due to previous machine crash"; and, as you say, all you had to do is to tell Trados where your licence file is (somehow it forgot, even if I never moved it); after, both Trados and SDLX will work fine.

To do this you have to
-check where you had saved the file
-Start>All Programs>SDL International>SDL Trados 2006 Freelance>Licence Manager

this will trigger a wizzard which will enable you to tell Trados where the file is by browsing to it

------------------------------------------------------------------------
For those who may have this problem in the future:

Before I solved it, I was getting the following message when trying to open SDLX:

"No valid Flexible Software Licence registration found. Please contact productsales@sdl.com for ordering information This program will run in demonstration mode"

When I went to the Switchboard/globe and then Help, I got

Help>Test Internet Registration>"Registration check successful. You will be able to register and de-register your flexible software licence from this computer"

Help>About SDLX>"Softlock: This software is not currently registered (www.sdlx.com or http://support.sdl.com )"

But it was registered.... a bit confusing, isn't it?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, after the solution it says:
Help>About SDLX>"SDL Licence: TWB : SDLX 2006 Standard)"

Cheeriooo

Marta

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

URGENT Convert SDLX TM to TRADOS TM

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search