Thread poster: Dr. Andrew Frankland

Dr. Andrew Frankland  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:14
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Sep 15, 2006

First of all my apologies if this post is in the wrong forum -- I'm sure one of the moderators will move it if it is. Secondly, this topic may have been covered before. If so, I would appreciate it if someone could direct me to the appropriate link.

Now on to my question: is there any advantage of working with Trados rather than Wordfast? As far as I can tell, although I'm no expert, both seem to do pretty much the same thing even though the price difference is considerable. Can anyone with experience of the two explain the pros and cons of each? Most jobs advertised seem to require Trados, although in light of the excellent article by Andrei Gerasimov (www.proz.com/doc/222), the end-client doesn't seem capable of distinguishing between work done in Trados and that done in Wordfast.

Thanks in advance for your contributions.

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:14
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
As long as you can work in Word Sep 15, 2006

Wordfast will do the job, but if you get ttx-files, you need TagEditor with Trados Workbench. And if someone sends you a Trados TM you need Trados to convert it for Wordfast.
I use both.
Regards
Heinrich

Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:14
English to Russian
If you want to have more jobs choose Trados Sep 15, 2006

From my experience: about 60-70 % of my jobs are ttx files which you cannot do in Wordfast. Besides, if you buy SDL Trados 2006 you will also get SDLX - a fine tool in which you can use Trados Multiterm Termbases and which in many respects is more handy and user-friendly than Trados for files other than ttx. So Trados will pay off. I have been using Trados and SDLX for more than 4 years now and the extra jobs I get for Trados have long ago paid off the expense.

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I have both.... Sep 15, 2006

andyfrankland wrote:

is there any advantage of working with Trados rather than Wordfast? As far as I can tell, although I'm no expert, both seem to do pretty much the same thing even though the price difference is considerable. Can anyone with experience of the two explain the pros and cons of each? Most jobs advertised seem to require Trados, although in light of the excellent article by Andrei Gerasimov (www.proz.com/doc/222), the end-client doesn't seem capable of distinguishing between work done in Trados and that done in Wordfast.

Thanks in advance for your contributions.

I have both, but just today I was thinking I don't really need Trados. And when it gives up the ghost I will go back to Wordfast probably. I use it now, rather than Wordfast, because I paid around 600E for it.

Reasons:
- I don't do highly repetitive work
- I work mostly in Word
- I find a TM is more useful for terminology and consistency than anything else. Even with one's own TM, sentences that are high matches frequently have to be substantially adapted to a different context/text.
- I avoid doing jobs that require using other TMs (usually agencys') becuase the quality - in my experience - is invariably less than optimal. I'm doing a job now, and having been granted permission, I'm rewriting 100% matches. I won't get paid for it, I won't even ask, it just matters to me in regard to sending in a job with my name to it.

I have used Wordfast for everything except HTML (just 1 job in 10+ years), and believe Wordfast can do those formats too. As it happens, I found Trados quite good with the HTML. In Word/Excel I think Wordfast is very similar to Trados.

So...as someone pointed out, it depends on the areas you work in, the kind of work you do, your reliance on agencies, etc.

Ailish

[Edited at 2006-09-15 18:09]

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I use WordFast Sep 15, 2006

I understand WordFast to be simpler to learn than TRADOS. It is also much cheaper and usually compatible with TRADOS.

WordFast works especially well for Excel files and highly repetitive Word files. I understand TRADOS is equally as good.

I only use a CAT program about 10% of the time, and it is always WordFast. It does the job well.

One big shortcoming of both programs is the ability to work with PowerPoint files. I will happily pay for the first CAT tool that will translate PowerPoint files without changing any formatting.

Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
PowerPoint files Sep 16, 2006

Hi Edward,
Edward Potter wrote:

One big shortcoming of both programs is the ability to work with PowerPoint files. I will happily pay for the first CAT tool that will translate PowerPoint files without changing any formatting.

I use Wordfast all the time with PP and have never had any problems. I have set up different colors for 100% matches, fuzzies and no matches, so that would get carried into the PP file. However, ypu can use Pandora's box to override that so it maintains the same color as the original file.
The other real advantage is that you can overwrite the text if you use WF, unlike when you write directly in PP. Also, so you are actually working in Word with your PP file open, WF automatically detects that I'm working in English. (PP doesn't do that automatically so you have to highlight your text in the slide and change language.)
Why have you had problems using WF with PP? Let me know if you have any questions about that.
HTH
Catherine
PS: To respond to the original question, I'm delighted with WF and have used it for about 4 years. I'm sticking with it!

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
PowerPoint and a few other points Sep 16, 2006

(1 I use Star Transit for translating PowerPoint and the only formatting problem (not tool-dependent) is the longer Czech words - in many instances, Czech text is simply longer than its English equivalent – I may have to manually change the font size to put it all in one slide. One big advantage is that embedded Excel tables get translated as well.

(2) I have to make a distinction between "own" and "work in" - I do own Trados to check that everything is really OK when receiving and sending out Trados jobs; if I work on the files in a different program in between (and I definitely do, most of the time), it is solely my problem. It may not be a good strategy money-wise, from one point of view. However, since Trados is most widely required, and - in my humble opinion - inferior to some other CAT software in many respects, I feel it the best in my particular situation.

(3) Nearly all Trados jobs can be done in Star Transit in a more friendly environment and in a more useful way, but Transit is much more expensive than Trados.

(4) I exprimented with Worfast and I am sorry to observe I did not like it at all.

Antonin

[Edited at 2006-09-16 08:07]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados or Wordfast?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search