how to split an .xml file
Thread poster: xxxBrandis
xxxBrandis
Local time: 01:25
English to German
+ ...
Sep 24, 2006

Hi there,

I have multiple very large .xml files, the outsourcer came back with a very short notice and time frame and now I am facing troubles distributing the work. I appreciate all help from british natives. Best Brandis

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
I would send them all the same (100%) file Sep 24, 2006

... and make a list:

Alice 0 to 100
Bob 1001 - 2000
Carol 2001 ....

if the XML grammar is irrelevant (ioW you do not need some DTD to translate), you can just cut the cake up I assume.

Regards

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
There should be some tool available Sep 24, 2006

HI!
to split .xml files, now I am really worried, time is moving and I have to split the work. I shall appreciate all help Best Brandis

Stefan de Boeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
to split or not to split Sep 25, 2006

to split .xml files, now I am really worried

You could: use Notepad to open your XML file. Take care not to lose the file's opening and closing tags (cp html body /body /html). Delete anything inbetween.

Still: when you've had a look at your file in Notepad, esp a very big one, you may choose to leave it untouched and divide the work (not the file) differently.

You could: use the TradosTagViewer to Preview the source; this generates an html page. It will be badly, if at all, laid out; still you could copy (select all) the thing into msWord. At the very least this will paginate the xml file, which provides you with an idea of how to split up the xml into outsourceable portions. (Subcontractors will need to use the Find function in TE to locate the beginning, and the end, of their jobs.)

By all means don't forget to include the DTD (or INI) file in your handout.

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Send the ENTIRE file to each translator Sep 29, 2006

You should definitely do as Vito suggested.

Assign a portion within the file for each translator, and appoint to one person to clean all the work into a joint TM. After that, this person should take the original file and translate everything to fuzzy.

That was, the cleaner will catch any inconsistencies where the same segment has been translated in different ways.

A little bit more time consuming, but less things that can go wrong, rather than chopping up the XML physically.

Best,

Jan

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Also, Brandis... Oct 3, 2006

How did it turn out eventually?

Just curious yours

Vito

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well well...noting really much Oct 4, 2006

Vitomir (Vito) Smolej wrote:

How did it turn out eventually?

Just curious yours

Vito
I gave the project to a group of traslators in Washington D.C and after checking the file for 3 days, they returned the file. Now again I have checked one tool that seems to give the solution it is xml splitter 1.0 an entry edition but the access is made difficult. There is another called xml spy. I am trying out this now and upon seeing satisfactory results, I shall report. Best Brandis

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I still could not solve this problem Oct 10, 2006

HI ! there are surely a lot of large .xml files going to be and there is no real working solution to split these files effectively. The two software issues I have consulted, were no good, a lot of boast. Best Brandis

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
"I gave the project to a group of traslators in Washington D.C " Oct 17, 2006

Could it be it's the #426474 saga?

http://www.proz.com/post/426474

Re Xml Spy - it's yet another editor. Neither can one blame Word for the size of the doc file, nor XmlSpy for the size of an XML file. And, as far as I know both xmlspy and word allow you to cut up the cake. But it's your cake....

On a private(r) note, your Google Earth position puts you in the neighbourhood of Zadar. Smart, very smart...

Regards

Vito

[Edited at 2006-10-17 14:59]

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
that is very right Vito Oct 19, 2006

Vitomir (Vito) Smolej wrote:

Could it be it's the #426474 saga?

http://www.proz.com/post/426474

Re Xml Spy - it's yet another editor. Neither can one blame Word for the size of the doc file, nor XmlSpy for the size of an XML file. And, as far as I know both xmlspy and word allow you to cut up the cake. But it's your cake....

On a private(r) note, your Google Earth position puts you in the neighbourhood of Zadar. Smart, very smart...

Regards

Vito

[Edited at 2006-10-17 14:59]
What is the neighbourhood of Zadar, did you mean er.... Zagreb. I found another solution to this problem of spiltting, just use DreamWeaver to create multiple files, it may take 1-2 hours time but the good work is done perfectly. Regular file splitters do not give the best result. Best Brandis

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
heartsome tools is one free solution Oct 25, 2006

it went like cheese, but I did not get the idea at that moment and many of us did not either. In HS one could treat .xml like a text cut and repatch all those tags go along. I just wanted to share this, because I lost this project. Best Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to split an .xml file

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search