Thread poster: Nicolas Rick
Nicolas Rick
Nicolas Rick
Local time: 08:16
English to French
+ ...
Nov 3, 2002

Hi,

I am on Windows 98 and have a Bugbear.A virus - a worm - attached to JHJV.exe and zfzplfg.dll in c:/windows/system. Undeletable. And Norton found nothing since I didn\'t extend payment for the license.

Do you think I can delete safely those two files with Dos as I don\'t think they have anything to do with Windows ? Tanks for your reply.

Nicolas

JCEC
JCEC  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:16
English to French
You have nothing to lose Nov 4, 2002

Considering the damage a worm can do, you have nothing to lose. Copy the files to a disquette just in case. Although I have never seen these names under Windows before.

If it solves the problem, I strongly advise updating your antivirus.

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:16
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Use Sophos Nov 4, 2002

I copied and pasted the following instructions

See more information at http://www.sophos.com/support/disinfection/bugbear.html

http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32bugbeara.html

Instructions for disinfecting W32/Bugbear-A
... See more
I copied and pasted the following instructions

See more information at http://www.sophos.com/support/disinfection/bugbear.html

http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32bugbeara.html

Instructions for disinfecting W32/Bugbear-A

RMBGBEAR is a utility for disinfecting the W32/Bugbear-A worm. This worm infects most 32-bit Windows platforms (Windows 95, 98, Me, 2000 and XP). It may be dropped on Windows NT, but has not been observed to run. It can spread by copying itself across networks and by sending out infected emails which exploit MIME and IFRAME vulnerabilities. It also sends itself to printers, which print out its executable code.

Download the RMBGBEAR cleaning utility on an uninfected PC. This file is available for download as a self-extracting archive, bearsfx.exe.

Read the RMBGBEAR notes for instructions on how to use the RMBGBEAR to clean up a Bugbear infection.

Removing W32/Bugbear-A with Sophos Anti-Virus

Windows 95/98/Me

Download the W32/Bugbear-A IDE and save it to your C:\\Program files\\Sophos SWEEP folder.

For Windows 95/98, go to the Start menu and select Shut Down. Choose the option \"Restart the computer in MS-DOS mode\".

On Windows Me create a startup disk, then boot from that.

At the command prompt type:

C:

CD \\PROGRA~1\\SOPHOS~1

SWEEP C: -REMOVEF

Delete any files containing W32/Bugbear-A. Leave any others.

If you have another hard drive, run a scan on it (e.g. SWEEP D: -REMOVEF on drive D.

Reboot.

Run a scan in Windows.

Regards,

Clarisa Moraña

Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Makes you think twice, doesn't it? Nov 4, 2002

Quote:

And Norton found nothing since I didn\'t extend payment for the license.

I know this is about the last thing you need to be told now, but still - if you consider the efforts required to clean up your system now (plus all the hassle from colleagues and/or clients who may have received infected messages or files from you), isn\'t the virus update license dead cheap?

BTW Symantec have publ... See more
Quote:

And Norton found nothing since I didn\'t extend payment for the license.

I know this is about the last thing you need to be told now, but still - if you consider the efforts required to clean up your system now (plus all the hassle from colleagues and/or clients who may have received infected messages or files from you), isn\'t the virus update license dead cheap?

BTW Symantec have published a removal tool for Bugbear: www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]Collapse

Nicolas Rick
Nicolas Rick
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 4, 2002

Thanks to all of you, I\'ll follow advices and extend my license for sure !

Just in case each of you need urgent assessment of contamination of your computer, I advise you to go to www.trendmicro-fr.com and have your computer checked on-line for free. This is great and that\'s how I discovered for sure I was contaminated (although I suspected it before).

Nicolas Rick
Nicolas Rick
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Virus Bugbear : end ? Nov 4, 2002

For information, I downloaded the .exe file from Symantec but it didn’t even open to track down the virus. Then I just tried the old « cut and paste » trick and you know what … It worked ! The virus disappeared and now all the applications are going fine (I tried first to just delete the contaminated files but it didn’t work as it said the said files was used by Windows). You know, the nasty thing about this virus is that it completely bugged the Norton Antivirus application.

... See more
For information, I downloaded the .exe file from Symantec but it didn’t even open to track down the virus. Then I just tried the old « cut and paste » trick and you know what … It worked ! The virus disappeared and now all the applications are going fine (I tried first to just delete the contaminated files but it didn’t work as it said the said files was used by Windows). You know, the nasty thing about this virus is that it completely bugged the Norton Antivirus application.

To all of you fellow translators, JUST LISTEN TO THIS WISE MAN RALF LEMSTER : UPDATE YOUR ANTIVIRUS LICENSE ASAP whatever it costs you. Especially if you are connected to the Net. I can tell you this is a REAL hassle to get things back to normal… and a good lesson too…

My dear friends thank you for your help.

Nicolas

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Virus Bugbear.A

Translation news related to CAT tools

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »