poEdit files - export/import function to other CAT tools?
Thread poster: Jan Sundström

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 12:03
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jan 19, 2007

Hi all!

I've been asked by a client to work in poEdit:
http://www.poedit.org/

From what I've read in previous postings (Vito, Rodolfo, Samuel et al), this CAT tool leaves much to ask, and I'm hesitant to dive into it if there are workarounds.

I wonder if there are import/export functions, or if the .po files can be easily opened by Trados (perhaps by configuring an .ini file with the Tag Settings wizard?)

Rodolfo mentioned Heartsome's XLIFF editor, but I have no practical experience with it either. Would it be as simple as opening the .po file, or would I have to jump through rings here first too?

Thanks a million for any input!

/Jan

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:03
German to English
+ ...
poEdit files - export/import function to other CAT tools? Jan 19, 2007

AFAIK, OmegaT can now handle .po files directly.

Marc

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
DVX Jan 19, 2007

Theoretically, DVX can handle po files.

Practically, this works only if the author really places the source text in the source field and not like a client of mine in the comment field (using gettext).

So I developed a software and procedure to extract the comment fields to a plain text file (which I translate in DVX) and then to reassemble the po file inserting the translation into the target field, leaving the other mess untouched.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

poEdit files - export/import function to other CAT tools?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search