https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/7231-a_trados_memory_file_can_no_longer_be_opened.html

A TRADOS memory file can no longer be opened
Thread poster: Dorothee Racette (X)
Dorothee Racette (X)
Dorothee Racette (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:52
German to English
+ ...
Dec 20, 2002

Dear colleagues,

here is a problem that has me stumped (and pretty upset): a TRADOS memory can all of a sudden no longer be opened. The error message reads \"matrix error (null)\", and I can\'t seem to find any information about what it means and what to do. The TRADOS help contains some reference to matrix errors, but the suggested solutions all involve OPENING the file first, which is not an option here. I have also tried copying the files into a new memory file, as sugges
... See more
Dear colleagues,

here is a problem that has me stumped (and pretty upset): a TRADOS memory can all of a sudden no longer be opened. The error message reads \"matrix error (null)\", and I can\'t seem to find any information about what it means and what to do. The TRADOS help contains some reference to matrix errors, but the suggested solutions all involve OPENING the file first, which is not an option here. I have also tried copying the files into a new memory file, as suggested in the Knowledge Database of TRADOS, without success. Does anyone have other suggestions that may help recover this file? Thanks very much in advance!

Dorothee
Collapse

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)
Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
double post - having problems with forums Dec 20, 2002

[ This Message was edited by:on2002-12-20 20:44]

English to French
+ ...
You could try this perhaps.... Dec 20, 2002

I am having problems with posting to forums btw - I wonder if others are having problems too???

Let me try to post this reply again:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi,

I never had that particular error but after a crash (while havign Trados open), I could no longer open one of my TMs.

Try to copy the TM files to a brand new folder on your hard-drive and see if you can open it from that new lo
... See more
I am having problems with posting to forums btw - I wonder if others are having problems too???

Let me try to post this reply again:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi,

I never had that particular error but after a crash (while havign Trados open), I could no longer open one of my TMs.

Try to copy the TM files to a brand new folder on your hard-drive and see if you can open it from that new location.

It worked for me for some unknown reason...

Let me know if this helps!

Nath
Collapse

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
export to a txt file Dec 20, 2002

hey Dee, try exporting your TM into a txt file, view it in Notepad and check the tags \"\" if it\'s not too big though..then reexport

Dorothee Racette (X)
Dorothee Racette (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:52
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I found a solution Dec 20, 2002

Thanks Nathalie and Marcus,

I combined your suggestions and found a way (I think; at least the file opened and I was able to reorganize it). I copy the solution here in case someone searches the archive in the future for a similar problem:

STEPS

Let us assume that the corrupt database is called OLDDB. Use the following procedure to restore this database:

Create a new or translation memory, calling it
... See more
Thanks Nathalie and Marcus,

I combined your suggestions and found a way (I think; at least the file opened and I was able to reorganize it). I copy the solution here in case someone searches the archive in the future for a similar problem:

STEPS

Let us assume that the corrupt database is called OLDDB. Use the following procedure to restore this database:

Create a new or translation memory, calling it NEWDB. Make sure that NEWDB has the same setup as OLDDB.

Locate the five files for the new translation memory in Explorer. Delete the file NEWDB.tmw.

Make a back up copy of the original corrupt database file OLDDB.tmw and rename the original to NEWDB.tmw.

Open NEWDB.tmw in Translator\'s Workbench.

From the File menu, choose Properties. The Translation Memory Properties dialog box is displayed. Notice that the number of translation units is given as 0 (zero). Click Close.

From the File menu, choose Reorganise to reorganise the translation memory.

From the File menu, choose Properties to open the Translation Memory Properties dialog box again. Provided that the .tmw file itself was not corrupt, you will see that the translation units have been restored.

Happy holidays!

Dorothee

Collapse

English to French
+ ...
testing (and a reply) Dec 20, 2002

Glad you found a solution Dorothee!

(I am also testing to see if I can post and edit my message)

Nath

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A TRADOS memory file can no longer be opened

Translation news related to CAT tools

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »