Thread poster: Yolanda Bello

Yolanda Bello  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 19, 2007

Hello all,

My computer crashed this Wednesday and I might have to buy a new one. I have checked the new models and all have Windows Vista and Office 2007. I was working with Trados 6.5 and that is the version I still have.
If I purchase a new laptop with the above specifications, will I have problems when installing / working with Trados 6.5 or should I purchase the Trados 2007? I need urgent advice because I might have to buy the new laptop today and I need to travel back to the onsite project I am currently in. Thanks a lot in advance

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 03:12
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
realistic scenario: "Vista is no option" May 19, 2007

buying a second hand notebook on Ebay with XP....

Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:12
German to English
+ ...
You should still be able to buy a computer with XP May 19, 2007

See if the store will install it for you. At least in the US, you still have a choice, and mine will be XP!

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
XP is still around May 20, 2007

When Vista first became available, I think the issue was that there was no driver software to allow the computer to recognize the Trados 6.5 dongle. Result: Trados would only run in demo mode.

I don't know if the matter has been resolved. Even if it has, XP is probably the safer option at the moment.

Tangopeter

English to Dutch
+ ...
Try to find out what made your pc crash May 20, 2007

If it is a hardware component and not the hard disk, it might be more efficient to hang the disk in another or new computer - ask the dealer if that's beyond your pc-skills.

There are of course more solutions: install XP alongside Vista, install MS Virtual PC (free and very efficient if you have a back-up image). Or have that done in a computershop.

And if it is a software crash, you may try to restore a previous version of Windows, of course.

Success

Yolanda Bello  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 21, 2007

Thank you for all your kind replies.

I was trying to get a new equipment just to be able to go back to the project with a fully operational laptop. To cut a long story short, I bought the laptop, despite the technical help to install programs and personalize it, I had to return it to the store, along with all the vista software as it did not recognize the Trados 6.5 dongle and the new Office layout is a terrible mess.
My old laptop is working fine now and I am updating Trados.
Thanks again!

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Martin Wenzel
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Switch to Metatexis May 21, 2007

Dear colleague, I have started using Metatexis (you can import Trados memories, and create Trados bilingual files with it...) parallel with Trados. I must say that I am so sick and tired of the aggressive early bird policy persued by Trados.

Metatexis has a help group, which gives quick and reliable answers...

The whole software package costs approx. 120 Euro and you will get free upgrades, which alone makes it so appealing...

Martin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows Vista - Trados 6.5 interface / Urgent

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search