Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
use of Excel glossaries in Trados or Transit or other
Thread poster: Michael Frischhut

Michael Frischhut
Local time: 20:48
German to English
+ ...
Aug 21, 2007

We have various clients who send us obligatory glossaries in Excel. Can anyone help me to find the best way of working with glossaries?

As far as I know with Trados, after aligning the bilingual excel file and importing it as a termbase - you can only work with the concordance search - but - that means that the translator has to suspect that a term is in the termbase. Not very relyable and not very comfortable for the translator I think - or do you know of other possibilities working with trados?

On the other hand I was informed that with Transit you can create a glossary directly from texts that have been translated before. As well you can import a bilingual Excel file as you can in Trados. But - from what I understand - with Transit every word in the text to be translated, that is in the termbase pops up in red - which is much better than the Transit solution.

Can any of you help me to find the best solution?

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You can easily import Excel files into Multiterm Aug 21, 2007

and use them as vocabulary.
A quite detailed description how to do so may be found in chapter 12 of this file.

Jerzy

[Edited at 2007-08-21 14:37]

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:48
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Use MultiTerm Aug 21, 2007

The normal way to handle glossaries is to load them into MultiTerm, not Workbench. If a word occurs in your text, it will then appear in the Workbench window, and you can incorporate it (or them) into your text. Thatworks very well.

To load the Excel glossary, the best way is to make sure that it contains just two columns, and that the first row of the spreadsheet contains only the names of the source language and target language respectively. Then use MultiTerm Convert to convert the spreadsheet into XML format suitable for importing into a newly created MultiTerm Termbase. Read the instructions carefully - the process is not intuitive. But it is worth the effort.

Chiara Righele  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Importing in TermStar (for Transit) Aug 21, 2007

Hi Eva,
you can also import a bilingual Excel file into a TermStar glossary to be used in Transit, as explained in the ts_importexport guide (see link below)
http://www.star-ts.com/STAR/download/pdf/documents/ts_importexport.pdf

I haven't done it for quite a while, but I don't remember it as a difficult operation

Then when you translate, words that are in the glossary appear in red, and you can insert them in your translation with a shortcut

HTH
Chiara

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
Multiple columns Aug 21, 2007

You can actually work with more than two columns. Let us know if you have additional columns (definitions, citations, etc.) that need to be preserved in the termbase.

Michael Frischhut
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
does the term pop up? Aug 21, 2007

Dear Peter,
thanks a lot for your help.
You wrote: "If a word occurs in your text, it will then appear in the Workbench window" - does that mean it appears automatically or do you have to "search" for it?
Best
Eva

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
The terms do pop up Aug 21, 2007

if they are in the terminology database and can be inserted using keyboard shortcuts.
The terminology recognition works in the background and you are presented results in a special window within the Translator's Workbench window.

Jerzy

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
ignore Aug 21, 2007

[Edited at 2007-08-21 16:49]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
a kick-off Movie for MultiTerm Convert... Aug 21, 2007

... can be found at

http://www.textnart.de/VitosCorner/MultiTerm%20Convert.html

be my guest

Regards

Vito

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Dictionary of terms in Transit Aug 21, 2007

is really much easier to work with (both during setup and for the actual use during the translation work) than Trados. Import from Excel is easy.

On the other hand, I have thought for a long time that Transit is by far superior to Trados in many ways, so my view may not be too objective.

Antonin

[Edited at 2007-08-21 16:57]

M. Isabel Ledesma  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 15:48
English to Spanish
what about Multiterm 5? Aug 21, 2007

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

and use them as vocabulary.
A quite detailed description how to do so may be found in chapter 12 of this file.

Jerzy

[Edited at 2007-08-21 14:37]

Jerzy, thanks a lot for sharing your work with us!

Could you, or any pacient Prozian, tell me if it's also possible to add/import my existing glossaries in Excel and Word to a termbase in Multiterm 5?

Thanks in advance,

Isabel

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Multiterm 5 Aug 21, 2007

Sorry, I must admit that I surrendered against this program and never ever used it.

Jerzy

Boris Kimel  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:48
English to Russian
+ ...
This is surely possible Aug 21, 2007

M. Isabel Ledesma wrote:
add/import my existing glossaries in Excel and Word to a termbase in Multiterm 5?

There should be some description in the Multiterm 5 online help or even here in the articles section. I don't have the beast installed anymore, but it allows some import for sure.

Here it is: http://www.proz.com/howto/49
Might be not too much fun, but it worked.

[Редактировалось 2007-08-21 20:08]

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:48
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Termbase for SDLX Aug 22, 2007

I used this week the first time Termbase with an SDLX-project (I like the editor of SDLX more than Tageditor in Trados). I copied the tables from Excel into Word, removed superfluous columns and lines and converted the table into text and saved it as .txt.
Then I created a Termbase file for the language pair and imported the txt-file. One has to define both columns according to language and I chose Term and Source/Target. The wizard will not let you proceed until everything is defined.
After import I closed the wizard and opended the Termbase in Editor. When I highlight a segment with terms in the termbase, I see the translations in the Termbase window on the right side of the editor.

I have also worked with Transit projects, where the outsourcer had added the database. But so far I have only seen entries, that do not help very much. (and is und in German, I knew that already).

Cheers
Heinrich

M. Isabel Ledesma  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 15:48
English to Spanish
I managed to do it> Excel/Word glossaries into Multiterm 5 Aug 22, 2007

After spending some time, of course...
I hadn't received a notification on your posts answering to mine!
I see know that the answer was much less time-consuming.. your howto link, Boris, describes exactly what I've done...

I used a combination of things:
-an article here in Spanish on this very same topic (adding your Excel/Word glossaries), but not so clear as it has some errors and lacks visual examples
-the Multiterm pdf explanation...
-and trial-and-error!

I've managed, then, to add key glossaries like the Microsoft Eng>Spa (that I had edited and turned into a TM for concordance reference using WinAlign a while ago, when I still hadn't found my old copy of Multiterm 5 and just had my Trados Freelance Ed 7; so, really easy to edit the WinAlign txt), and of course glossaries from Word and Excel.

So, if any other Prozian who "still lives in Multiterm-5 times" has trouble to add his or her glossaries, despite the articles and online help... send me a message and I'll try to help!

Thanks for your concern, also!

Isabel, from Patagonia

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

use of Excel glossaries in Trados or Transit or other

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search