Use TM in Table of Contents
Thread poster: Carol Chen

Carol Chen  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 05:06
English to Chinese
Sep 29, 2007

Hello, I'm dealing with a Word document. In the "Table of Contents", each heading line is made into a link. When I click it, no space appears below as those in other parts of the document. Could anybody encounter the same case and give any suggestions? Great thanks in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:06
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
No need to translate the TOC Sep 29, 2007

Carol Chen wrote:

Hello, I'm dealing with a Word document. In the "Table of Contents", each heading line is made into a link. When I click it, no space appears below as those in other parts of the document. Could anybody encounter the same case and give any suggestions? Great thanks in advance!

Tables of contents in Word docs, provided that they are automatic, can be updated automatically after finishing translation. No need to translate them.

HTH

Piotr

China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 29, 2007

Great thanks for explanation!

Regards

Carol

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

Carol Chen wrote:

Tables of contents in Word docs, provided that they are automatic, can be updated automatically after finishing translation. No need to translate them.

HTH

Piotr

Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 00:06
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Another note on TOCs Sep 29, 2007

Piotr is, of course, absolutely right - no need to translate a TOC in Word.

Yet, and this is the case in Hebrew, and probably in other languages: you sometimes have to put a lot of (frustrating) effort into formatting the automatically created TOC.

This is another reason to do the TOC absolutely at the end - if you change a heading in the text after you finished with it, and wish to update the TOC, you're in formatting trouble all over again...

Good luck, Doron

China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for reminding! Sep 29, 2007

Hi,Doron

Many thanks for your reminding!

Regards

Carol

Doron Greenspan MITI wrote:

Piotr is, of course, absolutely right - no need to translate a TOC in Word.

Yet, and this is the case in Hebrew, and probably in other languages: you sometimes have to put a lot of (frustrating) effort into formatting the automatically created TOC.

This is another reason to do the TOC absolutely at the end - if you change a heading in the text after you finished with it, and wish to update the TOC, you're in formatting trouble all over again...

Good luck, Doron

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Use TM in Table of Contents

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search