Saleh Chowdhury, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Bangladesh
Local time: 08:50
Member (2004)
English to Bengali
+ ...
Oct 31, 2007

Hi,
I read many discussions in the forums about CAT tools. I would like to know which CAT tool you would prefer between MetaTexis and OmegaT. Please include reasons for your preference. Please DO NOT include discussion about Trados, WordFast or any other CAT tools. I would like to choose between MetaTexis and OmegaT.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Best,
Saleh

Direct link Reply with quote

Yvonne Gerstheimer  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:50
Member (2007)
Japanese to German
+ ...
OmegaT Oct 31, 2007

Basically because I have a Mac and MetaTexis doesn't run on a Mac... If you are using windows, this answer will not help you much with your decision.

But I like OmegaT and although I have other CAT-tools I usually prefer OmegaT. It is easy to use and most of the programm explains itself just by using it. There is a downside though (imo): the glossary function is a bit underdeveloped. It is okay if you are using an existing glossary, but it is very inconvinient to create one in OmegaT.

Regards,
Yvonne

[Bearbeitet am 2007-10-31 13:49]

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
I am a MetaTexis user Oct 31, 2007

since several years, and I think it is the best CAT tool: very easy to use, user friendly, customizable, and fully compatible with Trados (in case you need to import a Trados document obtained from the client or to export into Trados format if the client would ask you to do so).

I cannot say anything about OmegaT, though.

Birgit Richter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
OmegaT or MetaTexis Oct 31, 2007

Saleh Chowdhury wrote:

Hi,
I read many discussions in the forums about CAT tools. I would like to know which CAT tool you would prefer between MetaTexis and OmegaT. Please include reasons for your preference. Please DO NOT include discussion about Trados, WordFast or any other CAT tools. I would like to choose between MetaTexis and OmegaT.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Best,
Saleh

I have both (and Wordfast - which I'm not going to discuss). I prefer OmegaT because it's easy to install, easy to learn, easy to use, I'm used to it and I like things simple AND it doesn't cost money, and I should be able to migrate all my Translation Memories and Terminology Lists to Linux should I ever decide to use it (it's platform-independent). As you can see, OmegaT has lots of pros for me.

The glossary function is somewhat basic - see Yvonne's comments, but for me it works. The Terminology Database which comes with MetaTexis is better though.

Why don't you download them both and try them out.

[Edited at 2007-10-31 17:01]

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
OmegaT Oct 31, 2007

I am a Linux user so I use OmegaT - MetaTexis does not run on Linux (tried it).

Apart from that, I used MetaTexis several years ago (when a license came along with Proz.com membership). Back at that time, when I was still using Windows, it required some add-on to be installed in Word in order for MetaTexis to work. After I realized that it wasn't the right kind of tool for me, I wanted to remove it along with the add-on but that corrupted my Word installation. Very annoying, but I assume that things have improved since then.

Sonja

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
Has OmegaT improved greatly in recent years? Nov 1, 2007

The last time I tried it (circa early 2004), I seem to recall that it segmented text by paragraphs rather than sentences, which didn't seem at all practical. Has the program had a major overhaul since then?

Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 09:50
English to Indonesian
+ ...
omegat - free and portable Nov 1, 2007

- free:
as in free beer

- portable:
means i dont have to install it. extract it in a flash drive, add in portable openoffice.org, and you're ready to go!

@steven
omegat now has sentence segmentation.

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:50
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
OmegaT is my choice. Nov 1, 2007

And I simply don't know anything about MetaTexis. Anyway, you are the only one who can answer your question. Is MetaTexis a commercial program? If yes, does it offer a trial version? If not, simply discard it, if yes, download a trial and, yes, try it out. And with OmegaT, you won't loose anything and you can use it complementary to any other program.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
One out of seven translators can read Nov 1, 2007

esperantisto wrote:
And I simply don't know anything about MetaTexis.

Seven replies (eight including mine), and only one is useful.

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
50% of statistics in this discussion... Nov 1, 2007

At the risk of being added to Samuel's directory of illiterate translators, here's my two Takas' worth:

Of all translators who use CAT tools, only a few percent use either Metatexis or OmegaT. The number who have used both routinely for any length of time is probably miniscule. Of those few (if any) who have, very few indeed are likely to have requirements identical or even similar to yours, Saleh. So the chances of finding any single person who is able to answer your question in full are virtually nil.

OmegaT is free; Metatexis costs 29/98/129 euros, depending upon the version, and is also available in a free, 60-day trial version. So both products lend themselves to testing. Spend two or three hours trying each, and you will probably be better placed to answer your own question than anyone here. Time is obviously money, but in this case, those few hours will truly pay off if they save you from investing a lot more time (given the low cost of Metatexis and OmegaT's complete lack of price tag, the financial risk is probably secondary) in the future trying to get an unsuitable product to work for you.

For the purpose of translation into Bengali, how well these two applications handle Indic fonts is likely to be crucial. Testing is probably still the best way to find out, but it might be worth posting the same question in the Bengali forum (of which I see you are the moderator) and possibly other forums, if relevant (e.g. the Hindi forum). Should you actually test OmegaT for/with Bengali, please let us at OmegaT know the results - we'd be very interested.

It's not particularly difficult to gather information on the two products, and in fact there is plenty of information on the 'net if you google for it, but it is not necessarily the information of crucial importance to you. For example, at least three of the nine respondents so far (including myself) specifically use OmegaT because it runs on Linux or Mac. You're probably thinking: "so what?".

A point which I think is well worth making is that Metatexis has some very enthusiastic users, and I have heard only good things about the support provided by its author, Hermann Bruns. My impression, from what I have heard about it, is that it is a reliable product that you can buy with confidence. I could say similar things about OmegaT, but as part of that product's development team I'm biased.

Another point, but only because Steven C. has raised it: yes, OmegaT can segment by the paragraph or by the sentence, as you prefer. In fact, I imagine that very few CAT tools can rival OmegaT's segmentation function for flexibility. Should you wish to do so, you can segment only at the end of sentences containing the terms "Samuel" and "sense of humour".

Marc

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:50
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Which one? Nov 1, 2007

Seven replies (eight including mine), and only one is useful.

I doubt that ANY of the answer is useful, even Marc's brilliant sample of circumstantiality. Again, only you can answer, if something fits your needs.

Saleh Chowdhury, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Bangladesh
Local time: 08:50
Member (2004)
English to Bengali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Does OmegaT support MS Word? Nov 1, 2007

Hi Everybody,
Thank you so much for your suggestions. I already tested MetaTexis and found that there was a problem with the target font setup. I contacted with the admin of MetaTexis and they confirmed that they will solve it and release a new version in next two weeks. So far, MetaTexis is fine for me.

I tried to use OmegaT but I could not found Bengali in its language list. Also I could not start working with it. Whenever I tried to open a MS Word file (.doc) it shows some error message. Also in the welcome page it says:

"Remember, OmegaT can only translate files in the formats below. Any other files will be ignored.
Open Document Format (ODF ISO/IEC 26300)
OpenOffice.org
XHTML, HTML
HTML Help Compiler (HCC)
DocBook
plaintext
bundle.properties Java
monolingual .po
INI ('key=value' format)"

I am using Office XP and Widows XP. Is it possible to translate MS Word files by using OmegaT? Please let me know.

Thank you all,
Saleh

Yvonne Gerstheimer  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Japanese to German
+ ...
Open office/word Nov 1, 2007

Hi Saleh,

no, OmegaT does not work with wordfiles, BUT you can save the wordfile as a plain text file (.txt) in Word and then you can open it with OmegaT.

Another way is to download the freeware Open Office:

http://www.openoffice.org/

You can open the MS word-file directly in Open Office and save it as an OpenOffice document (or xml, html, txt and so on). When you are done translating you can open it in Open Office again and save the translation as a wordfile again.

Regards,
Yvonne

[Bearbeitet am 2007-11-01 13:55]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Answers about OmegaT Nov 1, 2007

Saleh Chowdhury wrote:
I tried to use OmegaT but I could not found Bengali in its language list.

If you know what the language code for Bengali is, simply type it in. It is bn_IN if I'm not mistaken.

Also I could not start working with it. Whenever I tried to open a MS Word file (.doc) it shows some error message.

Yes, you can't translate MS Word files with OmegaT directly. First convert it to ODT using OpenOffice.org. Or, when you get MS Office 2007, you may be able to translate DOCX files using OmegaT.

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
Caveat re: Word/OpenOffice conversions Nov 1, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:
Yes, you can't translate MS Word files with OmegaT directly. First convert it to ODT using OpenOffice.org. Or, when you get MS Office 2007, you may be able to translate DOCX files using OmegaT.

This is fine for minimally formatted documents. For anything else, converting a Word document to OpenOffice can mess with the formatting (at least on the Mac platform; I haven't used OpenOffice for Windows).

For straightforward documents there is no problem, but anything with fancy formatting can be altered in the conversion process.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which one you prefer: MetaTexis OR OmegaT

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search