Marcos Zattar
Germany
Local time: 09:32
Member (2007)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Nov 21, 2007

Hello,

I need some help to translate the titles of tables and indexes in Word. One of them is the Index of images, whose code looks like this:

{ DOCVARIABLE TOF \* MERGEFORMAT }

The other one is the cross-reference index:

{ DOCVARIABLE TOI \* MERGEFORMAT }

I want to translate them manually in Word, but these kinds of fields won't allow me to do that.

Does anybody have a clue?

Thanks in advance!

... See more
Hello,

I need some help to translate the titles of tables and indexes in Word. One of them is the Index of images, whose code looks like this:

The other one is the cross-reference index:

{ DOCVARIABLE TOI \* MERGEFORMAT }

I want to translate them manually in Word, but these kinds of fields won't allow me to do that.

Does anybody have a clue?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Marcos Zattar
Collapse

Boris Kimel
Boris Kimel  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 10:32
English to Russian
+ ...
Hi Marcos Nov 21, 2007

Why don't you just go ahead and translate the _actual_ titles etc. to see the index updated by magic (pressing F9)?

Another option is to convert the fields into text using Ctrl-Shift-F9, but this is where the fields' magic gets lost.

Hope this helps.

Marcos Zattar
Marcos Zattar
Germany
Member (2007)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Titles, only the titles Nov 21, 2007

Hello Boris,

yes, I know what you mean. In fact I already did this and it worked perfectly. What I am talking about is actually that very title of the table that shows up in the beginning of it.

For example: In the cross-reference table I have the title INDEX

The cross-reference table itself is ok, because the XE-fields in the body of the document where translated. What I can't get to change is this INDEX word.

"Another option is to convert the
... See more
Hello Boris,

yes, I know what you mean. In fact I already did this and it worked perfectly. What I am talking about is actually that very title of the table that shows up in the beginning of it.

For example: In the cross-reference table I have the title INDEX

The cross-reference table itself is ok, because the XE-fields in the body of the document where translated. What I can't get to change is this INDEX word.

"Another option is to convert the fields into text using Ctrl-Shift-F9, but this is where the fields' magic gets lost."

That will be the way to go if I don't manage to get to the root of the problem.

Bye
Marcos
Collapse

Boris Kimel
Boris Kimel  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 10:32
English to Russian
+ ...
Now I see Nov 22, 2007

That's quite interesting. Never seen this done that way. Are there any macros around in the file? The fields you cited just take a doc variable and insert its value. But where does this variable come from - dunno (yet).

Marcos Zattar
Marcos Zattar
Germany
Member (2007)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Macros Nov 22, 2007

Possibly there are macros. I consider myself an advanced user of Word, but in situations like this I see how big this Word-Universe is, I'm just a beginner! I checked the macros but I didn't seem to find anything "suspect".

So I have to find this docvariable thing. Google does not help me though...

thanks anyway!

Haiyang Ai (X)
Haiyang Ai (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:32
English to Chinese
+ ...
Try CAT Tools? Nov 22, 2007

If you're dealing with tags in translation, you may consider using CAT tools, such as SDLX or Trados.
If you use TagEditor, then the tags will be taken care of by the software, saving you lots of efforts and time.

Kind regards,
Haiyang

[Edited at 2007-11-22 04:43]

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Fields Nov 22, 2007

Marcos de Miranda Zattar wrote:

Are you sure there are no more field codes? Try to display them all in Tools - Options - View - Field Codes. For example, my index of images looks like this:

{ TOC \h \z \c "obrázek" }{ DOCVARIABLE TOF \* MERGEFORMAT }
"obrázek" means "figure" and that's what needs to be changed.

The word "INDEX" must be defined somewhere.

I'm not sure if it's relevant for you, but another place to hide localizable strings is a customized numbered list or a style with custom numbering.

Marcos Zattar
Marcos Zattar
Germany
Member (2007)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Am I missing something here? Nov 22, 2007

Haiyang: is it really so easy to manage that with a CAT? If yes, I definitely have still to learn a lot about Word and CAT. Actually I tried that before I read your answer: I tried to open the problem segment with Trados, but I get the message "There is no text to be translated in the cursor position". Then I tried the same in the second problem segment and got this error message: (33353): end of paragraph not found.

Actually I am proofreading this text with the "Track Changes" func
... See more
Haiyang: is it really so easy to manage that with a CAT? If yes, I definitely have still to learn a lot about Word and CAT. Actually I tried that before I read your answer: I tried to open the problem segment with Trados, but I get the message "There is no text to be translated in the cursor position". Then I tried the same in the second problem segment and got this error message: (33353): end of paragraph not found.

Actually I am proofreading this text with the "Track Changes" function of Word.

Hynek: the { TOC \h \z \c "obrázek" } part does not show in neither of my fields.

I googled a bit about DOCVARIABLE and found out that this has to do with Visual Basic. If this is correct and involves programming, I'd better keep my fingers away of it - the solution would be to delete these two fields and insert regular text instead, which would be a pity, because I am not into ad-hoc solutions that not go to the root of the problem.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Titles of tables and indexes in MS-Word

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »