Thread poster: Nat Ruamsuke
Nat Ruamsuke
Nat Ruamsuke
Local time: 10:52
Japanese to Thai
+ ...
Dec 6, 2007

Hi all,

Anybody could help me with the information about a CAT Tool called 'Taipan'? Thanks.

Nat R.

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 05:52
English to Swedish
+ ...
Ask Samuel Murray Dec 6, 2007

I didn't know about it until now, but Sam might have some leads:
http://www.proz.com/post/670121#670121

Good luck,

/Jan

Nat Ruamsuke
Nat Ruamsuke
Japanese to Thai
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 6, 2007

Thanks Jan

Nat R.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:52
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
It's been several years... Dec 6, 2007

Nat Ruamsuke wrote:
Anybody could help me with the information about a CAT Tool called 'Taipan'?

It's been several years since I worked on Taipan, so it's possible that they have a newer version that looks nothing like the tool I once worked on. But here is what I remember:

Taipan is a spreadsheet-like tool. You need a very, very big screen to see all the cells you need to see, or else you need a good mouse-hand for endless horizontal scrolling.

I haven't worked much on Taipan... but I did figure out that the project file in Taipan is nothing more than an XML file that is zipped with a password. The XML file can be translated in Wordfast or any other CAT tool if you're smart enough to tag it and figure out where to type the translation. So, go flush your TEMP folder, and keep the folder open. Now open the project file in Taipan. Then check the TEMP folder for a newly created file. That is the XML file used by Taipan. Translate it, save it, and zip it using normal compression (don't give it a password). Then open the zipped file in Taipan again, and Taipan will helpfully add its default password to it.

When I used Taipan, there was no roundtrip export-and-reimport function available, so unless you use the spreadsheet interface, you have to hack it (using the TEMP method described above).

I'm sure Taipan comes with many cool features to make a translator's life easier, but those translators will only be the ones who are still impressionable and who don't use CAT already.

Tell the client you'll try, but you can't guarantee anything. The only reason why the client doesn't give you an MS Word table with source text left and space for the translation right, is that the client's developers are too lazy/incompetent and they made the client believe that using Taipan is better for everyone.

Nat Ruamsuke
Nat Ruamsuke
Japanese to Thai
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sam Dec 7, 2007

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your answer. That's very helpful.

Nat R.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anybody experienced with 'Taipan'?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »