Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 22:11
English to Swedish
+ ...
Convert to XML?! Dec 10, 2007

Claudia Alvis wrote:

First of all, I have to say that I am fairly impressed with Transit, I'd been looking for an alternative to Trados and I think Transit might be it. I'm posting what I did, even though with Transit, it doesn't seems so complicated anymore, it might help somebody else because Transit was not the end of the process.

Since it's such a complex text, it's very likely that I'll come across many more of this jewells

Hi Claudia,

Sounds good that you've found a way to deal with the objects. I've also torn my hair over Excel piecharts embedded in Powerpoint at several occasions. This might be the best workaround so far!

I have one more theory though. If you have Word 2007, you can resave this document to XML.
I tried it once or twice for other purposes, and it's quite interesting, because it will display hidden code and text that wasn't visible in the .DOC.
You could then count and translate the XML, open again in Word 2007, and resave back to DOC. Or only use part of this process, if you're afraid that footnotes etc are damaged along the road.

Perhaps other prozians here have used this feature?!

/Jan

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:11
French to English
+ ...
Right click and save Dec 10, 2007

If the object is an embeddable Excel or Powerpoint file for example, right click on the object, choose Open to open it in Excel or Powerpoint then save it under a different name. You can then translate the object as a separate file in the native application and insert it back into Word afterwards (Insert/File).

Regards,
David Turner

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Refreshing macrowise Dec 13, 2007

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

Now that you mention it, I do recall that the embedded objects require kind of a "refresh" step after they are exported from Transit.

Antonin

[Edited at 2007-12-09 00:05]

I think this refreshing can be done for all updated embedded objects fairly easily by macro!

Hans

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 15:11
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Really? Dec 13, 2007

Hans Lenting wrote:

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

Now that you mention it, I do recall that the embedded objects require kind of a "refresh" step after they are exported from Transit.

Antonin

[Edited at 2007-12-09 00:05]

I think this refreshing can be done for all updated embedded objects fairly easily by macro!

Hans

Really? Do you know how?

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update Jan 6, 2008

Unfortunately, that doesn't work.

The objects, or their "definition" change with the conversion and the result is a complete mess. I gave up.

Claudia Alvis wrote:

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and offers, you're very generous especially you-know-who.

I also want to thank Antoní­n and Gillian for leading me in the right direction. Transit XV does recognize and work with embedded objects and 'objects embedded into objects embedded', which is not a small task. A generous colleague has let me use his copy of Transit (I know, I know), and even he's on vacations we've spent all morning in a trial-and-error session and I think we finally have it figured out.

First of all, I have to say that I am fairly impressed with Transit, I'd been looking for an alternative to Trados and I think Transit might be it. I'm posting what I did, even though with Transit, it doesn't seems so complicated anymore, it might help somebody else because Transit was not the end of the process.

• I prepared the project with Transit. In File Type I chose MS-Word then I went to Options and checked 'Process objects' from the 'Embedded Objects' group box.
  • I added a couple of sample files I had previously prepared; one with a 'diagram within a word object within word' and the other with a 'table as an excel object within a word object within word'.
  • Transit managed to "read" the text from the embedded objects, I pseudo-translated some of them then I exported the files.
  • But when I opened the exported files, the text in the objects hadn't changed. I mean the normal text was translated but the text inside the tables and diagrams were still in the original language.
  • It turned out that I had to manually 'Convert' them. For instance, with the diagram with text-boxes embedded as a Word Object, I had to right-click on the code {EMBED Word Document.8\s} and select Document Object > Convert > Convert to > Microsoft Office Word Document. With the diagram as an Excel Object embedded in a Word Object embedded in the document, I had to do one extra thing. I right-clicked on the table, then selected Document Object>Open. Once I got into the Word Object, I right-clicked on the table then selected Worksheet Object> Convert > Convert to > Microsoft Office Excel Worksheet.
  • So 'Convert' was the way to update the objects, just like I thought I had to do manually but Transit save me a lot of time.

Since it's such a complex text, it's very likely that I'll come across many more of this jewells

Brandis, Heinrich, Peter, the reason I didn't want to resort to converting the file to pdf is that I didn't want to modify the code, let alone replace it with just the text. My file has plenty of bookmarks, codes, links, so I was afraid if I modify something, I will ruin the file. And those codes are a nightmare to fix.

My concern now is how to charge for doing this, as I don't really know how long this whole process would take me and I'm basically learning how to do this. I had never worked on Word document that was so heavily-coded as much as this one.

Thanks

Claudia

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification Oct 1, 2008

Claudia Alvis wrote:

Unfortunately, that doesn't work.

The objects, or their "definition" change with the conversion and the result is a complete mess. I gave up.

What didn't work was the macro, I had to update each object manually. And even after doing that, the formatting went crazy in some cases (crazy-looking tables and boxes). So I left these objects un-updated (in English) and told me client to get the DTP department to update them themselves so they could fix the formatting too.

[Edited at 2008-10-01 22:38]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help! What is the best CAT tools for embedded text (in diagrams, OLE) in Word

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »