Trados or Déjà Vu?
Thread poster: innsbruck
innsbruck
innsbruck  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Mar 11, 2003

Hello to everyone,

I am thinking about buying a CAT tool. From what I\'ve seen on this website, a lot of people work either with Trados or Déjà Vu.

Maybe I should give you a brief introduction into what I\'m doing.

I\'m a legal translator, which means that my source texts are hardly ever computer files. Nevertheless I\'d like to benefit from the advantages of a CAT tool by establishing my own aligned corpus of legal texts (my own t
... See more
Hello to everyone,

I am thinking about buying a CAT tool. From what I\'ve seen on this website, a lot of people work either with Trados or Déjà Vu.

Maybe I should give you a brief introduction into what I\'m doing.

I\'m a legal translator, which means that my source texts are hardly ever computer files. Nevertheless I\'d like to benefit from the advantages of a CAT tool by establishing my own aligned corpus of legal texts (my own translations, excerpts from textbooks, translated laws and regulations etc.) In addition, I\'d like to be able to integrate external dictionaries (on CD-ROMs)into my CAT tool and manage my own terminology database.

I don\'t think I can benefit much from pre-existing translations inasmuch as most of my texts are hardly ever highly repetitive, but I truly believe that an aligned corpus plus external dictionaries can speed up my work considerably.

Recently, I also translated the homepage of a major US company and it took me ages to get any consistency in my translations.

So, what do you think would be better for me? Trados or Déjà Vu?

Two months ago, I tried Wordfast and was very disappointed. After installing it on my computer it automatically changed settings in Word 2000. Whenever I put in a new format, Word 2000 would use the format for the whole document!!! So when I put just one letter in bold style, the rest of the document would be formated the same way. After I removed Wordfast from my system, the problem was gone. By the way, 6 weeks ago I wrote a message to Wordfast describing my problem, but haven\'t received an answer since.

So now I seem to have the choice between Trados and Déjà Vu? Which one is better suited for me?

Any advice is very welcome!!

Thank you all!

Ulrich
Collapse

Boyan Kostadinov
Boyan Kostadinov  Identity Verified
Bulgarian to English
+ ...
Check out the CAT Tool Center Mar 12, 2003

You can check out the CAT Tool Center for user ratings and comments on both DejaVu and TRADOS.

On the CAT Fight page you can compare the two tools feature by feature.

I hope this can help you with your decision.

bergazy
bergazy  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 19:20
Croatian to Italian
+ ...
Whatever Mar 12, 2003

Deja Vu is best according to translators, very user-friendly,marvelous!

Trados is standard agencies CAT tool.

If you intend to get more jobs, purchase Trados.

But... you will have a bunch of problems until you gain some expirience.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados or Déjà Vu?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »