Tools for swapping language combination in a created TM?
Thread poster: TRIDIOM
TRIDIOM
TRIDIOM
Spain
Local time: 00:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 22, 2008

Hi

In the past I made a long translation from EN to ES for a client. Now the client, based on my translation, has edited a new document which he needs translated again back in EN (as in the first original) and I would like to use that information (but obviously not with the wrong language combination).

I remember there was a tool that permitted "swapping" language combinations and segments accordingly but I can not manage to find the name and/or thread.

An
... See more
Hi

In the past I made a long translation from EN to ES for a client. Now the client, based on my translation, has edited a new document which he needs translated again back in EN (as in the first original) and I would like to use that information (but obviously not with the wrong language combination).

I remember there was a tool that permitted "swapping" language combinations and segments accordingly but I can not manage to find the name and/or thread.

Anyone can tell me the name of the tool?

I know I can always align the documents with the new language combination, but the other way would be quicker...

Thanks!

Marta

[Edited at 2008-01-22 18:22]

[Edited at 2008-01-22 18:23]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Which CAT tool? Jan 22, 2008

J.

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Assuming we're talking Trados.... Jan 22, 2008

You can export the TM, create a new TM with the correct language combination and import the newly created export file. Very easy.

Jørgen

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Notepad Jan 22, 2008

TRIDIOM wrote:

Notepad. Open the TMX file in it, and change the language code at "srclang" to that of the target language. Let us know if this doesn't work (and then tell us what CAT tool you're using, so we can know to avoid it).

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 01:20
English to Arabic
+ ...
Exactly (no tool is required) Jan 23, 2008

Jørgen Madsen wrote:

You can export the TM, create a new TM with the correct language combination and import the newly created export file. Very easy.

Jørgen

Exactly (no tool is required). You can always use the same TM after exporting it, create new TM with opposite Source & Target, then import TM.

Kind regards

TRIDIOM
TRIDIOM
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not a CAT Tool Jan 23, 2008

Hi all

No, the tool I'm talking about is not one of the TRADOS tools, (I mean it does not come with the trados pack).

I can not just export the TM and change the segments as this i what would happen

1. I export the TM as a txt.
2. I get transaltions such as this:

TRIDIOM
ACTUALIZAR LOS GRAFICOS con archivo de Excel adjunto.
UPDATE GRAPHS with attached Excel file.

3. If I change the codes so that EN-GB is ES
... See more
Hi all

No, the tool I'm talking about is not one of the TRADOS tools, (I mean it does not come with the trados pack).

I can not just export the TM and change the segments as this i what would happen

1. I export the TM as a txt.
2. I get transaltions such as this:

TRIDIOM

3. If I change the codes so that EN-GB is ES-ES and vice versa I get this:

TRIDIOM

But it is false as the sentences do not match the language code. ie. "Actualizar los gráficos" is not in English. Hence if I import that I get a false TM.

The tool I am talking about was developed by another company, not trados or SDL.

If anyone else knows?

Anyhow, thank you all for your suggestions!

Marta
Collapse

Maxim Manzhosin
Maxim Manzhosin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:20
English to Russian
Olifant Jan 23, 2008

Hi Marta,

Try Olifant TM editor:

To reverse the source and target language of a TM:
1. Just select the language you want as the source in the Source drop-down list in the toolbar. Next time you use the Save, Save As, or Export functions, the default source language wi
... See more
Hi Marta,

Try Olifant TM editor:

To reverse the source and target language of a TM:
1. Just select the language you want as the source in the Source drop-down list in the toolbar. Next time you use the Save, Save As, or Export functions, the default source language will be set to this language.

online help
download

Hope this helps.

Maxim
Collapse

TRIDIOM
TRIDIOM
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Maxim Jan 23, 2008

Excellent! It is exactly what I was looking for!

Marta

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tools for swapping language combination in a created TM?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »