What is a TM?
Thread poster: Sophie Blachet (X)
Sophie Blachet (X)
Sophie Blachet (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:09
English to French
Jan 28, 2008

I have received a now job, and the PM attached a pdf files and itd files as reference and wrote TM is located on our FTP site here

What is a TM?

Thanks
Sophe

Valérie Oliveira (X)
Valérie Oliveira (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:09
French to Portuguese
+ ...
The Translation Memory... I suppose Jan 28, 2008

Hello Sophie,

I think the TM your client is referring to is just the Translation Memory

Have a nice day!

Val

Sophie Blachet (X)
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Stupid question .... Jan 28, 2008

But as I do not know anything about it, I just got SDLX, what should I do with it?

The TM is in access and partly translated.

The itd file is partly translated (I have to proofread)

Many thanks,

I am quite lost here.

Sophie

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
SDLX, Trados, which version? Jan 28, 2008

And have you read the manual yet?
Basically, you have to import the TM. But since you're proofreading, I could also imagine they want you to record any changes you make and then update the TM.

Sophie Blachet (X)
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
SDLX 2004 Lite Jan 28, 2008

They provided me with the SDLX 2004 Lite, and I read the manual but it was "lite " too !!

I have no real instruction

On this one I am lost ....

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Helpful link Jan 28, 2008

Hi Sophie,

here's a link to another forum thread you may find helpful.
http://www.proz.com/topic/31135

Hope this helps - if not, let us know. There's usually someone out there willing to help.

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:09
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Play around with it to familiarize yourself Jan 28, 2008

Hi Sophie,

you need to take some time to familiarize yourself with SDLX and how to use it - then it all will become pretty obvious.

Basically, the TM is a database of translated segments, but you don't usually work on the TM as a separate file but use it in conjunction with the translation file = ITD file (although you CAN open just the TM, but that's going into too much detail now and won't be necessary
... See more
Hi Sophie,

you need to take some time to familiarize yourself with SDLX and how to use it - then it all will become pretty obvious.

Basically, the TM is a database of translated segments, but you don't usually work on the TM as a separate file but use it in conjunction with the translation file = ITD file (although you CAN open just the TM, but that's going into too much detail now and won't be necessary for you).

What you do is, you open your ITD file (double-click on it and it will open in what is called "SDL Edit") and from there you open the TM (by selecting "Translation Memory" > "Open"). The TM then runs kind of in the background of the actual translation file (ie. the ITD) and you can use it to look up indivual words, phrases or whole segments by highlighting the source words and choosing the respective command from the "Translation Memory" menu in the menu bar.

Just take some time to read the manual, the help documents from Margreet's link and look things up in the help; play around with the different options and commands and see what happens. On the whole the SDLX interface is very intuitive and easy to use and it should soon be clear how to use it.

The TM is usually not updated automatically (although this can be changed in the Options), so if you have to/want to update the TM at the end of the job you have to do it manually by clicking "Translation Memory" > "Update TM" when you're finished.

Good luck!
Thomas
Collapse

Sophie Blachet (X)
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks all Jan 28, 2008

for your answers and links.

I am reading most of it and "clicking on buttons", playing with it.

I did a translation with it 3 days ago, and it appears pretty simple but when they gave me the TM, I start to be lost.
Now I start to understand, as everything it will come with times.

Have all a plesant day,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is a TM?

Translation news related to CAT tools

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »