Volunteer Chinese>English translation work
Thread poster: kjmcguire
kjmcguire
Netherlands
Local time: 17:29
Chinese to English
May 28, 2008

Has anyone ever done any volunteer Chinese to English translation work? I'm looking for ways to hone my skills as it's been a while since I took on a translation assignment and hope to re-enter the translation market in the not-too-distant future.

I know there are a number of online volunteer opportunities for translators but I haven't had much luck finding assignments for Chinese to English translation (only English to Chinese and for other language combinations).

If anyone has any advice or knows of any organisations I can contact, it would be greatly appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxEric Hahn  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Yes May 28, 2008

There are some chinese agencies here paying 0.04 US$/word !
I think this might be interesting for you !

Jason Ma  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 23:29
English to Chinese
+ ...
Kelly, please follow these threads May 28, 2008

http://www.translators4kids.com/
http://www.translators4kids.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=34&lang=en

Translators For Kids offers some volunteer translation work. I've registered at this website. So far I haven't got any English-Chinese or Chinese - English translation work. Maybe I'm still on their waiting list.

Good luck.

[Edited at 2008-05-28 14:29]

jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:29
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
JASON May 28, 2008

你這個帖子很滑稽。聽起來好像這年頭發善心不要錢白做的工都找不到似的。

Jianjun Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:29
English to Chinese
+ ...
I appreciate your professionalism May 29, 2008

Kelly,

Although you are not translating right now, I can say you're a responsible person and professionalism is a tribute you never lack.

Instead of go bidding for jobs directly, you ask for volunteer opportunities to hone your skills and get ready for the translation assignments. I have to say that not very many people nowadays have the conscientiousness, courage and patience to go this way.

I have bookmarked your profile and will keep you informed if I ever have such information or job opportunities and wish you the best luck in your career!

Best,
Jianjun

Kelly McGuire wrote:

Has anyone ever done any volunteer Chinese to English translation work? I'm looking for ways to hone my skills as it's been a while since I took on a translation assignment and hope to re-enter the translation market in the not-too-distant future.

I know there are a number of online volunteer opportunities for translators but I haven't had much luck finding assignments for Chinese to English translation (only English to Chinese and for other language combinations).

If anyone has any advice or knows of any organisations I can contact, it would be greatly appreciated.

kjmcguire
Netherlands
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jun 1, 2008

Jason Ma wrote:

http://www.translators4kids.com/
http://www.translators4kids.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=34&lang=en

Translators For Kids offers some volunteer translation work. I've registered at this website. So far I haven't got any English-Chinese or Chinese - English translation work. Maybe I'm still on their waiting list.

Good luck.

[Edited at 2008-05-28 14:29]

I've bookmarked this site and will wait and see if any Chinese>English opportunities arise.

Jianjun Zhang wrote :

Kelly,

Although you are not translating right now, I can say you're a responsible person and professionalism is a tribute you never lack.

Instead of go bidding for jobs directly, you ask for volunteer opportunities to hone your skills and get ready for the translation assignments. I have to say that not very many people nowadays have the conscientiousness, courage and patience to go this way.

I have bookmarked your profile and will keep you informed if I ever have such information or job opportunities and wish you the best luck in your career!

That's very kind of you.

To be perfectly honest, I have a full-time job and recently bought a house so I don't feel ready to dive back into full-time translation at this moment. I'm certainly looking forward to doing so but I feel that I wouldn't be able to commit myself to a career in translation until I am more confident about my translation skills (which need some brushing up) and until I feel I can combine a 'day job' with freelance translation. Living costs in the Netherlands are going up by the day so I don't want to abandon my current job, not until I feel I can make a living from translation alone.

Not many companies are willing to let novice translators use their assignments for practice and deadlines would be hard to meet if, like me, you have other work committments. I would hate to produce a sloppy translation and I think that's all I would be capable of doing if I had to fit in hours of translation work into my 40-hour work week...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Volunteer Chinese>English translation work

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search