https://www.proz.com/forum/chinese/107075-help_needed_on_choosing_a_chinese_name.html

Off topic: Help needed on choosing a Chinese name.
Thread poster: Gemma Collinge
Gemma Collinge
Gemma Collinge  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:48
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Jun 5, 2008

Hi everyone,

My friend is applying to study Chinese at a university in China. He's currently filling in scholarship applications.

The problem is that he needs to have a Chinese name for the applications, but as he's only really just begun studying he hasn't yet been given one. I was wondering if anyone here could suggest a good Chinese name for him?

His full name is Karl Hannaford.

We'd be really grateful for any suggestions!

Thank
... See more
Hi everyone,

My friend is applying to study Chinese at a university in China. He's currently filling in scholarship applications.

The problem is that he needs to have a Chinese name for the applications, but as he's only really just begun studying he hasn't yet been given one. I was wondering if anyone here could suggest a good Chinese name for him?

His full name is Karl Hannaford.

We'd be really grateful for any suggestions!

Thanks in advance.
Collapse

Guangzhou Apple
Guangzhou Apple  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:48
English to Chinese
+ ...
韩复,韩纳德 Jun 5, 2008

韩复
韩纳德
韩福德

Jason Ma
Jason Ma  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Bravo. I like this one Jun 5, 2008

韩福德

Alvin Liu
Alvin Liu  Identity Verified
China
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
韩纳福 Jun 6, 2008

ford的d如果发音轻点,能否考虑 韩纳福
纳福,纳妾,呵呵。取这个名字的,可以福气多多,成为有福之人啊。

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:48
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
韓不如漢 Jun 6, 2008

這些都是很香港的音譯。

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
How do Chinese translate "Oxford"? Jun 6, 2008

pkchan wrote:

這些都是很香港的音譯。

"Oxford" has been translated as "牛津" all the time. So, why not "Hannaford" be translated as "汉津"?

There are Chinese names with two syllables, such as "Ouyang 欧阳," "Sima 司马" or "Weichi 尉迟." There were famous persons in Chinese history with such names: 欧阳修、司马迁、司马光、尉迟恭 and others. So, why not such a name like "汉津凯" for Mr. Karl Hannaford?

汉 for Han Chinese.
津 for an ancient military stronghold.
凯 for the triumph guaranteed.

The name 汉津凯 doesn't sound like Karl Hannaford, but it bears a well-balanced meaning in Chinese language. That is the way how most Chinese people were initially named by their parients or grandparients. A name shall bear some meaning, not just any Ahmao or Ahgo.

Just a suggestion. Not necessarily the best.

Jason Ma
Jason Ma  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
香港那些个 Jun 6, 2008

非常中化的洋名蛮有意思的。
彭定康、阿诺-舒华辛力加 (施瓦辛格)、荷里活、雪梨(悉尼)。
pkchan wrote:

韓不如漢
這些都是很香港的音譯。

Guangzhou Apple
Guangzhou Apple  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
外国人的中文名 Jun 6, 2008

很多名字一看就知道是老外,比如纳德、纳福。
就看他想要啥样的啦,要个本地人的名字还是老外的名字。

WEI XUE
WEI XUE  Identity Verified
China
German to Chinese
+ ...
根据文字的词义 Jun 7, 2008

1.其实根据他的具体要求,如果不是需要很中国化得名字,音译即可

2。若需要中国化的姓名,上述各位的翻译感觉有点不伦不类,半音译

3,建议根据原文姓名的词义,另取之

我有空弄下,不知道这位着急不着急?

Gemma Collinge
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jun 7, 2008

谢谢你们的帮忙!

My Chinese name is: 高洁美. I'm not sure whether it gives me away as a foreigner or not! But I'm quite fond of it. It's close enough to my English name.

I spoke to Karl about what sort of direction he would like to go: if he would like a clearly foreign name, or a Chinese sounding name. His feelings were that as long as it didn't sound too clearly ridiculous, it didn't matter. Meaning was more important to him I think, which is fair enough!... See more
谢谢你们的帮忙!

My Chinese name is: 高洁美. I'm not sure whether it gives me away as a foreigner or not! But I'm quite fond of it. It's close enough to my English name.

I spoke to Karl about what sort of direction he would like to go: if he would like a clearly foreign name, or a Chinese sounding name. His feelings were that as long as it didn't sound too clearly ridiculous, it didn't matter. Meaning was more important to him I think, which is fair enough!

I agree with Jason and like this name: 韩福德
But Wenjer's suggestion of 汉津凯 is really good too.

He can always change his name when he gets to China but he needs a name for the school and scholarship applications, etc.

Thank you again, everyone, for your kind help and suggestions. Far better than using one of those internet pages to create a name and my Chinese isn't quite good enough to be confidently making up names.

Thanks!
Collapse

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
翰墨 Jun 8, 2008

或翰墨客?

翰墨
[brush and ink-writing,painting,or calligraphy]
原指笔、墨, 借指文章、书画
古之作者寄身于翰墨,见意于篇籍。——曹丕《典论·论文》

snowlamb
snowlamb
English to Chinese
+ ...
another translation for the surname "Hannaford" Jun 8, 2008

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:
"Oxford" has been translated as "牛津" all the time. So, why not "Hannaford" be translated as "汉津"?

Hello Wenjer Leuschel,

"汉津" is really a good translation, but it somehow reminds me of the Chinese phrase "汗津津", which means "sweat streaming". Since the "-ford" from "Ox-ford" is translated by the meaning(not HK pronouncation), do you think "韩(汉)淇"(from "送子涉淇,至于顿丘") matches "牛津" better?

and to dear Gemma Collinge in reading,

If your friend minds the meaning, I suggest "韩淇家 Han Qijia" as the Chinese translation, "韩淇" for Hannaford, "家" for Carl
韩Han, a common Chinese surname; though 汉 is a better translation, an unusual surname may cause some inconvinience in China
淇Qi, a frequently metioned river in 《诗经》
家Jia, literally home; and the given name "淇家 Qijia" is homophonic with "齐家" from "修身齐家治国平天下" (《大学》).

By the way, I think most Chinese won't assume 高洁美 or 韩淇家 as a foreigner's name. They both are nice names in Putonghua (and also Cantonese).

Wish your friend good luck with his study. ^_^

snowlamb

[Edited at 2008-06-08 13:17]

Gemma Collinge
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again! Jun 9, 2008

Thank you so much for your detailed and concise reply! I will pass all this information on to him! 韩淇家 Han Qijia seems like a really good idea and when I think it suits him.

I'm also glad that my name is a good name in Putonghua! Makes me even happier with my name! (My Chinese teacher at university gave it to me)

snowlamb wrote:

and to dear Gemma Collinge in reading,

If your friend minds the meaning, I suggest "韩淇家 Han Qijia" as the Chinese translation, "韩淇" for Hannaford, "家" for Carl
韩Han, a common Chinese surname; though 汉 is a better translation, an unusual surname may cause some inconvinience in China
淇Qi, a frequently metioned river in 《诗经》
家Jia, literally home; and the given name "淇家 Qijia" is homophonic with "齐家" from "修身齐家治国平天下" (《大学》).

By the way, I think most Chinese won't assume 高洁美 or 韩淇家 as a foreigner's name. They both are nice names in Putonghua (and also Cantonese).

Wish your friend good luck with his study. ^_^

snowlamb

[Edited at 2008-06-08 13:17]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help needed on choosing a Chinese name.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »