Be careful when you do the sample translation for free.
Thread poster: Bin Zhang
Bin Zhang
Bin Zhang  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:58
English to Chinese
+ ...
May 22, 2003

Be careful when you do the sample translation for free. Tina who is from India posted a job for English>Chinese asked bidder to translate a so-called legal document .She sent me an attachment for 432 words. Having gone through the attachment I found it seems to be the exact document what the job is because the date is may-12-03, obviously the client just sent to her ,and she doesn\'t want to pay to anyone.$0.03 a word, give me a break.Please do not bid this job, you will never take that job. ... See more
Be careful when you do the sample translation for free. Tina who is from India posted a job for English>Chinese asked bidder to translate a so-called legal document .She sent me an attachment for 432 words. Having gone through the attachment I found it seems to be the exact document what the job is because the date is may-12-03, obviously the client just sent to her ,and she doesn\'t want to pay to anyone.$0.03 a word, give me a break.Please do not bid this job, you will never take that job.

This bid-translation community is very good. We don\'t want anyone who is very cheap to ruin it.Be honesty is the only to last the business.

My suggestion to all of you is, if the sample translation is a couple of sentences. That\'s all right, but not as I just stated 432 words 2 pages... Definitely \"no\".

We need to be careful especially for the pre-approval free sample translation.No work order or job order, no translation. That\'s it.
Collapse

Donglai Lou (X)
Donglai Lou (X)  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 09:58
English to Chinese
+ ...
Be cautious with some Indian Translation Company. May 23, 2003

my experience with three indian companies in the past two told me they were not professional. generally they pay very low rate only USD 0.03 or even lower (I will never accept). they always ask you to do a free test for them. once Globallingo (karan4all) promised me a project of millions of words for Sun and asked me to do a nearly 2000 words test. then they just sent me a line of apology that they haven\'t got any replies from the client. but I have noticed they posted the ads for that project ... See more
my experience with three indian companies in the past two told me they were not professional. generally they pay very low rate only USD 0.03 or even lower (I will never accept). they always ask you to do a free test for them. once Globallingo (karan4all) promised me a project of millions of words for Sun and asked me to do a nearly 2000 words test. then they just sent me a line of apology that they haven\'t got any replies from the client. but I have noticed they posted the ads for that project everywhere. another indian company owns me USD 40 for two years. and most of the indian companies have many different names. I don\'t want to work with indian companies any more, unless they pay me by TT in advance.

good luck, my colleagues.

[Edited at 2003-05-23 01:09]

[Edited at 2003-05-23 10:47]
Collapse

Nicolas Rick
Nicolas Rick
Local time: 03:58
English to French
+ ...
Solution May 23, 2003

I have solved that problem : I never again do ANY translation test ! (Unless it is paid the same amount of money as for real)

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:58
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Please use the "Portfolio" feature at ProZ.com. May 23, 2003

Hello, Everyone here!

I NEVER do free sample translations myself because I learned quick after I got cheated one time long time ago. Actually we had a lengthy discussion about this topic in the past in Chinese Forum. It is indeed a very annoying issue for the translators. This is why ProZ.com offered a feature called "PORTFOLIO" (you can see it next to your "Profile" tab. )

You can select the translations you did in the past and post them there. Be sure to edit the tra
... See more
Hello, Everyone here!

I NEVER do free sample translations myself because I learned quick after I got cheated one time long time ago. Actually we had a lengthy discussion about this topic in the past in Chinese Forum. It is indeed a very annoying issue for the translators. This is why ProZ.com offered a feature called "PORTFOLIO" (you can see it next to your "Profile" tab. )

You can select the translations you did in the past and post them there. Be sure to edit the translations that can best demonstrate your translation skills, cover various subjects, and NOT reveal any information of the source or client, etc. You are welcome to take a look at my Portfolio so to get the idea how to set it up.

After you setup your Portfolio, you can guide your clients in future to visit your Portfolio whenever a sample translation request is raised.

Kevin
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Be careful when you do the sample translation for free.

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »