Thread poster: Cindy Zhao
Cindy Zhao
Cindy Zhao  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 13:46
English to Chinese
+ ...
Oct 28, 2008

请问各位同行, 就汉英翻译的稿件来说, 字数的计算是以中文(即原文)为基础还是英文? 如果是以英文为基础, 每个字的单价是否和英中翻译是一样?

谢谢!

Milton Guo
Milton Guo  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
因人而定 Oct 28, 2008

如果你喜欢源语计算,就统一用源语,反之用目标语

不同的语言价格当然不一样

Denyce Seow
Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
1:1.5 Oct 28, 2008

Hi Cindy,

我通常是以中文字计算,但如果文件format不允许,我会向客户解释,要求用target英文字。给target word quote的时候,你应该把你的每个中文字价钱乘于大概1.5,也就是说如果你的每个中文字价钱是US$0.10,那你的每个英文字价钱应该是大约US$0.15。

Denyce Seow

[Edited at 2008-10-28 09:13]

Cindy Zhao
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
有用的信息 Oct 28, 2008

多谢Denyce提供的信息。因为之前接过这个客户中-英的稿件几次,但有时是按中文算,有时则不是(都是客户定的)。这次是对方让我报价,所以正好有机会弄清楚。

Denyce Seow
Singapore
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
Word/character count Oct 28, 2008

Cindy Zhao wrote:

但有时是按中文算,有时则不是(都是客户定的)。

The client might have asked for a target word price because they couldn't get a source character count. I prefer to charge by the number of source characters. In this way you set the price right in the beginning and there will be no surprises for anyone at the end.

When you do a character count in WORD, do you take the Asian character count (last line) or the Word count (second line)?

Denyce Seow

Cindy Zhao
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The second line "word count" or the third line Oct 28, 2008

If I didn't remember wrong, according to the regulation regarding translation business developed in the Mainland China, the word count should be the number in the third line "Characters (without space)". But practically, only a minority of translation agencies followed the stipulation and most of the agencies offered the number in the second line or even the last line to freelancers.

Sometimes as well on an accumulative basis, the number in the second line and that in the last line
... See more
If I didn't remember wrong, according to the regulation regarding translation business developed in the Mainland China, the word count should be the number in the third line "Characters (without space)". But practically, only a minority of translation agencies followed the stipulation and most of the agencies offered the number in the second line or even the last line to freelancers.

Sometimes as well on an accumulative basis, the number in the second line and that in the last line vary a lot.
Collapse

Cindy Zhao
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And Oct 28, 2008

For me, I can accept the second but not the last line.

Denyce Seow
Singapore
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
Last line Oct 28, 2008

The last line (Asian characters) only counts the Chinese characters, i.e. the English words and numbers in the source text are excluded. This is the figure I use when I quote based on source character.

I am sure there are different practices out there. It really depends on our clients.

Denyce Seow

Caroline Moreno
Caroline Moreno  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:46
Chinese to English
+ ...
没错--要看客户,也要看自己。 Oct 28, 2008

问题是如果用最下面的字量(the last line)那就是不包括英文字,所以说你虽然需要看并input 和校对这些了,可是客户不算这些的话使你白工作,就等于浪费你自己的时间吧。因此我认为你要 input 和校对的多少个字,客户也应该算多少个字,按照这个字量给你付钱。

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

汉英翻译的价格计算

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »