Working as a freelance translator in China (for non Chinese citizens)
Thread poster: guillaumimoso
guillaumimoso
guillaumimoso
Local time: 23:56
English to French
Nov 27, 2008

Dear all,

First of all, my apologies if this post doesn't directly concern this forum, but I thought I would get the highest number of responses here.

I'm currently working as a freelance translator in Singapore and would like to relocate to China. The problem is I'm not sure under what kind of company I can legally work there.
From what I've seen on Internet, there is a type of company called "Wholly Foreign Owned Enterprise", which seems to fit my situation. Ho
... See more
Dear all,

First of all, my apologies if this post doesn't directly concern this forum, but I thought I would get the highest number of responses here.

I'm currently working as a freelance translator in Singapore and would like to relocate to China. The problem is I'm not sure under what kind of company I can legally work there.
From what I've seen on Internet, there is a type of company called "Wholly Foreign Owned Enterprise", which seems to fit my situation. However, there is a major obstacle: a paid-up capital of USD100,000 (!!), which is simply not feasible in my case.
Hence, I would like to know if any of you who will read my post have gone through the hurdles of administrative requirements to be able to stay and work as a freelance translator in China. Is there such a thing as a “sole proprietorship" for foreigners? (to my knowledge, this type of company doesn't require any capital investment).
In short, my capital is very limited and I would like to move to China and continue what I do now. I also heard about setting up a joint company with a Chinese national, but having a suspicious personality, I prefer to deal with everything on my own.

For info, I'm considering Beijing or Shanghai, if that is of any relevance to the subject.

Thank you for your precious input!
Guillaume
Collapse

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 03:56
Chinese to English
Regulations for Foreigners Working in China Nov 28, 2008

guillaumimoso wrote:

Hence, I would like to know if any of you who will read my post have gone through the hurdles of administrative requirements to be able to stay and work as a freelance translator in China.

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume

I haven't, but maybe you could look at foreign embassies' China websites for advice, or search on the websites of lawyers based in Beijing/Shanghai.

I think somebody here might be able to advise. Wait and see. Nice to see you here. IMO introductions and 'doing your homework' are possibly helpful in China, so approaching this forum for advice is not a bad idea IMO.

Do consider letting peers know what your speciality is if you have one, experience, etc.

Lesley

dd dd
dd dd
Local time: 23:56
English to Chinese
+ ...
Try this website: Nov 28, 2008

http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/forumsub.php?gid=3

Most of the forumites in this section of the Proz are Chinese and therefore might not know the procedures required for a foreigner to work in China. The above link is a forum where most of the participants are foreigners working in China. They should know this better.

My understanding (which might not be correct) i
... See more
http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/forumsub.php?gid=3

Most of the forumites in this section of the Proz are Chinese and therefore might not know the procedures required for a foreigner to work in China. The above link is a forum where most of the participants are foreigners working in China. They should know this better.

My understanding (which might not be correct) is that, if you work for a company, you will need to obtain, among other things, a work permit, residence permit and health permit; however, if if you are only going to work as a freelancer, you may not need any such registrations.

However, if you want to make sure that you abide by all applicable laws, you may still need to consult a lawyer or someone who has been in China in a similar situation.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working as a freelance translator in China (for non Chinese citizens)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »