Proposal about the KudoZ issue
Thread poster: lbone

lbone  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 06:37
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jan 25, 2009

I just saved the KudoZ main page as a local file, and uploaded it to another web site out of China. It was set as the index page of a directory with another name. There is no problem for me to access that directory.

It is clear now - the only problem is the KudoZ folder is blocked. Nothing is wrong with its contents.

Proposal:

ProZ.com can redirect the KudoZ directory to a directory with another name, such as www.proz.com/cowz, so it still works as usual, while we in mainland can also access KudoZ through the new path.

Or it can be redirected to a new site - www.newsite.com.

I guess this can work, at least for a while.

I am not sure whether this proposal, if implemented, can lead to an unexpected reaction from that nothing. I hope it won’t be worse - as until now, no one I contacted would declare to be responsible for the blocking of KudoZ. The management can weigh it and make a decision.

[Edited at 2009-01-25 17:11 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:37
Chinese to English
+ ...
doubt Jan 26, 2009

lbone,

It's very nice of you to keep exploring to try and figure out a way to make KudoZ accessible to those in Mainland China again. It does seem to be an insurmountable problem though, without knowing what authority to contact on issues related to the Great Firewall.

I'm not sure that your experiment proved conclusively that "nothing is wrong with its(KudoZ's) contents" as far as the Firewall is concerned. Because when you created the new duplicate directory summarily at the top, you practically changed the path for each and every entry in KudoZ to gain access.

Take this latest question asked in the English-to-Chinese category for example. It inherently has the subdirectory www.proz.com|kudoz in its URL, which should be different than the corresponding new path you created for the same entry, I would think.

www.proz.com|kudoz/english_to_chinese/electronics_elect_eng/3047989-vn.html

But then again, I really don't know how these on-line monitors or filters work, or whether there is actually human involvement when it comes to Internet content control. I would tend to think that most of the control is accomplished by software without any human intervention.

I dunno - just a thought.

[Edited at 2009-01-26 14:43 GMT]

redred  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
大家新年好 Jan 26, 2009

lbone wrote:

I just saved the KudoZ main page as a local file, and uploaded it to another web site out of China. It was set as the index page of a directory with another name. There is no problem for me to access that directory.

这是否就是传说中的代理服务器?

lbone  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Technically possible Jan 26, 2009

Hi Steve,

Mapping or redirecting by a site like ProZ.com is technically simple.

Relative paths:
'Relative paths' are used for most links within a web page (such as "/css/ie_hacks.css"). This is a recommended practice for web page design. You can check the source of the page (the command is on the View menu of your browser) you just mentioned. Except for the links pointing to adjacent questions, nothing else is related to the string "www.proz.com/kudoz" (only this path is blocked), while the exceptions themselves can be replaced by relative paths without any major difference for users.

Dynamic web site:
This site is a dynamic web site. It has a background server that parses and responds to every access request. Web pages, at least those belonging to KudoZ, are obviously created in real time by that server. A web page is either created one time when new information related to a page is updated, or every time when someone accesses this URL in a browser. In both cases, the server creates the page in real time.

When someone interacts with KudoZ, his/her response is sent to the ProZ.com server and all data is saved in the database(s) of the site.

When the server creates a KudoZ page in the KudoZ directory, it can create another copy, with necessary minor modifications on influenced links, just in another directory, and it can respond to the interactions from both directories. It does this job all day long (we have many language versions of this site), and it has no problem to do it again. That's all.

Additional options to protect the new directory:
1) Denying search engine access: Site admin can add a specific tag file in a directory (site admin should know what this tag file is). By convention, mature search engines will read that tag and skip this directory.
2) HTTPS for this directory: We usually access this site via HTTP. But I know it clearly that if HTTPS is used (HTTPS is not enabled for ProZ.com yet), the contents are encrypted during Internet transmission and cannot be parsed in between. So that ‘nothing’ cannot read them.
3) Private member-only access: It can be set to open only to members that log into this site.

[Edited at 2009-01-26 04:50 GMT]

lbone  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
代理 Jan 26, 2009

redred wrote:

lbone wrote:

这是否就是传说中的代理服务器?

新年好。

我访问 KudoZ 是通过代理。很慢。不过后来访问新网站上的新存目录时没走代理。

wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:37
Chinese to English
+ ...
access permissions Jan 26, 2009

lbone wrote:

Hi Steve,

Mapping or redirecting by a site like ProZ.com is technically simple.

Relative paths:
'Relative paths' are used for most links within a web page (such as "/css/ie_hacks.css"). This is a recommended practice for web page design. You can check the source of the page (the command is on the View menu of your browser) you just mentioned. Except for the links pointing to adjacent questions, nothing else is related to the string "www.proz.com/kudoz" (only this path is blocked), while the exceptions themselves can be replaced by relative paths without any major difference for users.

lbone,

I understand that the block is applied at the /kudoz top subdirectory level. But what caused the block in the first place? I would think that if all the offending entries had already been removed, the block would have been lifted by now.

I'm familiar with the access permissions for different paths in the UNIX operating system, not so much for those in html and webpage design. In UNIX, creating a dynamic link would definitely not gain a user access to files in an unauthorized area. Perhaps security for public Internet access is different, but I would think the blocking mechanisms would be similar.

[Edited at 2009-01-26 23:17 GMT]

lbone  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
They may have forgotten it Jan 26, 2009

wherestip wrote:
I understand that the block is applied at the /kudoz top sub-directory. But what caused the block in the first place? I would think that if all the offending entries had already been removed, the block would have been lifted by now.

One month has passed, so I guess this is a permanent blocking that needs to be lifted only manually. As they do not want to be contacted, and no one can push them to do anything, they may just be reluctant to check sites manually and reverse some of them.

[Edited at 2009-01-26 07:47 GMT]

Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
要不去复兴论坛提一提? Jan 26, 2009

以前wiki百科中英文网站也都无法上,后来都能上了。我记得chance去复兴论坛提过,要求开放。后来的开放跟她在复兴论坛提过有没有关系不得而知,不过也许是一条途径。

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proposal about the KudoZ issue

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search