Please remember to leave KudoZ open 24 hours
Thread poster: Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.

Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:34
Chinese to English
+ ...
Jul 25, 2003

As a courtesy to allow everyone to participate in giving answers and feedback on KudoZ questions, please remember to comply with ProZ policy and leave your questions open for 24 hours BEFORE grading.

A recent posting was already graded less than 30 minutes after the question went up. While the asker felt the first answer was "acceptable", there is no telling what additional information might have been posted (and might have interested others) had the question been left open as it should have been.

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
A guideline, not (yet) a rule -- in the new design Jul 25, 2003

Thanks for putting word out, Terry.

For those who are not aware, in the KudoZ beta design, askers are encouraged to wait 24 hours before grading their KudoZ questions.

For now, this is a merely a guideline. It may be made a rule, depending on the effects we see of encouraging the wait.

As an asker, please use your judgement.

Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:34
English to Chinese
+ ...
Agree! Jul 25, 2003

Terry L. Thatcher, Ph.D. wrote:

As a courtesy to allow everyone to participate in giving answers and feedback on KudoZ questions, please remember to comply with ProZ policy and leave your questions open for 24 hours BEFORE grading.

A recent posting was already graded less than 30 minutes after the question went up. While the asker felt the first answer was "acceptable", there is no telling what additional information might have been posted (and might have interested others) had the question been left open as it should have been.

Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My bad -- thought it was "policy".... Jul 25, 2003

but anyway, it won't hurt. On quite a few occasions, I might have to send out a translation quickly, so I'll *use* the first or second answer posted to get the job out, but it's always interesting to see what comes later. Often some of the most precise or best-researched answers come in hours after the question is posted...not always, but enough times to be worth waiting, I think, to see what comes in and where points should go.

Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:34
English to Chinese
+ ...
Yes, Jul 26, 2003

but anyway, it won't hurt. On quite a few occasions, I might have to send out a translation quickly, so I'll *use* the first or second answer posted to get the job out, but it's always interesting to see what comes later. Often some of the most precise or best-researched answers come in hours after the question is posted...not always, but enough times to be worth waiting, I think, to see what comes in and where points should go.

More interestingly, too often do I find that the best answer reaches me long after my query is closed(Thanks to these truly brilliant linguists!)

Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
BUMP! Please try to be a bit more serious about KudoZ if you are going to use them Aug 12, 2003

If you are going to take the time to participate in KudoZ, either asking or answering, please try to be a bit more serious about the whole thing.

Closing questions fast is a bad thing. It prevents discussion and input.

Awarding points at random is a bad thing. It encourages poor quality answers.

And please follow guidelines in awarding points. Answers with no explanation and no references should not receive 4 points.

Terminology is a very serious issue in our profession, and there are not many other places you can go and get a question answered so comprehensively as you can here. But we all need to keep up the quality to have KudoZ be worthwhile for translation assistance. If it is all random, the value is gone.

xxxLinguaText
English to Chinese
+ ...
Great point! Aug 12, 2003

Quite agree.
Terminology is a very serious issue in our profession, and there are not many other places you can go and get a question answered so comprehensively as you can here. But we all need to keep up the quality to have KudoZ be worthwhile for translation assistance. If it is all random, the value is gone.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please remember to leave KudoZ open 24 hours

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search