Please remember to leave KudoZ open 24 hours
Thread poster: Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.

Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:19
Chinese to English
+ ...
Jul 25, 2003

As a courtesy to allow everyone to participate in giving answers and feedback on KudoZ questions, please remember to comply with ProZ policy and leave your questions open for 24 hours BEFORE grading.

A recent posting was already graded less than 30 minutes after the question went up. While the asker felt the first answer was "acceptable", there is no telling what additional information might have been posted (and might have interested others) had the question been left open as it should have been.


 

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 00:19
SITE FOUNDER
A guideline, not (yet) a rule -- in the new design Jul 25, 2003

Thanks for putting word out, Terry.

For those who are not aware, in the KudoZ beta design, askers are encouraged to wait 24 hours before grading their KudoZ questions.

For now, this is a merely a guideline. It may be made a rule, depending on the effects we see of encouraging the wait.

As an asker, please use your judgement.


 

Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:19
English to Chinese
+ ...
Agree! Jul 25, 2003

Terry L. Thatcher, Ph.D. wrote:

As a courtesy to allow everyone to participate in giving answers and feedback on KudoZ questions, please remember to comply with ProZ policy and leave your questions open for 24 hours BEFORE grading.

A recent posting was already graded less than 30 minutes after the question went up. While the asker felt the first answer was "acceptable", there is no telling what additional information might have been posted (and might have interested others) had the question been left open as it should have been.


 

Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:19
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My bad -- thought it was "policy".... Jul 25, 2003

but anyway, it won't hurt. On quite a few occasions, I might have to send out a translation quickly, so I'll *use* the first or second answer posted to get the job out, but it's always interesting to see what comes later. Often some of the most precise or best-researched answers come in hours after the question is posted...not always, but enough times to be worth waiting, I think, to see what comes in and where points should go.

 

Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:19
English to Chinese
+ ...
Yes, Jul 26, 2003

Terry L. Thatcher, Ph.D. wrote:

but anyway, it won't hurt. On quite a few occasions, I might have to send out a translation quickly, so I'll *use* the first or second answer posted to get the job out, but it's always interesting to see what comes later. Often some of the most precise or best-researched answers come in hours after the question is posted...not always, but enough times to be worth waiting, I think, to see what comes in and where points should go.


More interestingly, too often do I find that the best answer reaches me long after my query is closed(Thanks to these truly brilliant linguists!)


 

Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:19
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
BUMP! Please try to be a bit more serious about KudoZ if you are going to use them Aug 12, 2003

If you are going to take the time to participate in KudoZ, either asking or answering, please try to be a bit more serious about the whole thing.

Closing questions fast is a bad thing. It prevents discussion and input.

Awarding points at random is a bad thing. It encourages poor quality answers.

And please follow guidelines in awarding points. Answers with no explanation and no references should not receive 4 points.

Terminology is a very serious issue in our profession, and there are not many other places you can go and get a question answered so comprehensively as you can here. But we all need to keep up the quality to have KudoZ be worthwhile for translation assistance. If it is all random, the value is gone.


 

LinguaText (X)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Great point! Aug 12, 2003

Quite agree.
Terry L. Thatcher, Ph.D. wrote:
Terminology is a very serious issue in our profession, and there are not many other places you can go and get a question answered so comprehensively as you can here. But we all need to keep up the quality to have KudoZ be worthwhile for translation assistance. If it is all random, the value is gone.


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please remember to leave KudoZ open 24 hours

Advanced search






TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search