https://www.proz.com/forum/chinese/130469-manchester_or_imperial.html

Manchester or Imperial?
Thread poster: jinbn11
Mar 17, 2009

Hi,

I have a MA degree in Foreign Linguistics and Applied Linguistics from a university in China.

I want to further my study in the UK.

I have offers from the University of Manchester (PhD in Translation Studies) and Imperial College (MSc Scientific, Technical and Medical Translation with Translation Technology).

Of them, I cannot make my decision where to go.

If there're anyone who have taken the programme or are aware of the cour
... See more
Hi,

I have a MA degree in Foreign Linguistics and Applied Linguistics from a university in China.

I want to further my study in the UK.

I have offers from the University of Manchester (PhD in Translation Studies) and Imperial College (MSc Scientific, Technical and Medical Translation with Translation Technology).

Of them, I cannot make my decision where to go.

If there're anyone who have taken the programme or are aware of the courses, please give me some advise.

Thanks ^-^
Collapse

James_xia
James_xia  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Comparing them upon your expectation Mar 17, 2009

I have worked with an agency for overseas study (the largest one in the city) for 4 years. I have taken on many cases of helping the applicants in choosing their destination. But limited to the time here, I can give a little practical advice:

1 School- There is no absolute distinction between the majors, except for the prestige known by the applicants, especially the students in China, who usually care much about the fame of a school.:) So you have to take the first step sole upon y
... See more
I have worked with an agency for overseas study (the largest one in the city) for 4 years. I have taken on many cases of helping the applicants in choosing their destination. But limited to the time here, I can give a little practical advice:

1 School- There is no absolute distinction between the majors, except for the prestige known by the applicants, especially the students in China, who usually care much about the fame of a school.:) So you have to take the first step sole upon your 'impression' on the school.

2 Major- Now your have got your offers in the major of translation, I believe you might have checked some materials from the local ranking information, such as the Times. Getting a good tutor is good, but it’s not always required. Your study record is the key for your happy stay in the school. It's an easy decision to make. Just follow the way you did.

3 Expenses- In the UK, the tuitions and accommodation fees are not as cheap as in other European countries, and slightly vary in different cities. But if you ‘re not very strong financially, better to find a part-time job to survive the study period, wherever you may finish study in the UK. That’s a very good experience, as told by many students who came back.

Hopefully, you can get some prompt.
Collapse

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 08:48
Chinese to English
Database Mar 18, 2009

Hello Jin

You could try this database. You can search by speciality (Linguistics) and the name of the institution:

http://www.prospects.ac.uk

Lesley

[Edited at 2009-03-18 06:06 GMT]

jinbn11
jinbn11
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your advice Mar 18, 2009

I feel lucky to get advice from someone like you who are experienced in this field.

However, I do not quite understand you when you said something about the second part, the Major.

May I summarize your advice as this? 1. Choose a school which has high reputation in China. 2. Choose a school where you can manage to maintain a good score. 3. Of course, if other factors are the same, choose the cheap one.

If I misunderstood you, please let me know.

... See more
I feel lucky to get advice from someone like you who are experienced in this field.

However, I do not quite understand you when you said something about the second part, the Major.

May I summarize your advice as this? 1. Choose a school which has high reputation in China. 2. Choose a school where you can manage to maintain a good score. 3. Of course, if other factors are the same, choose the cheap one.

If I misunderstood you, please let me know.

Thank you again~~

Kind regards~~
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Manchester or Imperial?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »