Off topic: Beijing 2008 Olympic logo
Thread poster: Golden View

Golden View  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 15:04
English to Chinese
+ ...
Aug 5, 2003

See more details at http://www.beijing-2008.org.
How do you like it?

[Edited at 2003-08-05 07:52]

Direct link Reply with quote

Marta Argat  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:04
Chinese to Ukrainian
+ ...
I like it Aug 5, 2003

Yes, I like this logo I only don't like the way a word "Beijing" is written under it in English.

Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:04
English to Chinese
+ ...
Me too! Aug 5, 2003

Marta Argat wrote:

Yes, I like this logo I only don't like the way a word "Beijing" is written under it in English.

xxxchance
French to Chinese
+ ...
Hi Marta, 欢迎你常来中文论坛! Aug 5, 2003

Marta Argat wrote:

[Edited at 2003-08-05 15:45]

Yongmei Liu  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:04
English to Chinese
+ ...
不喜欢 Aug 5, 2003

太政治化:我读到好像那几颗印章的长宽高都代表中国的面积什么的,太麻烦。

太古:那个“京”字我一开始还以为是“人”字。为什么一定要往古代找灵感?最近五十年的会徽有经典色彩的还有1956年的斯德哥尔摩、1960年的罗马和2004年的雅典,其它的都是很有现代感的。(夏季奥运会 http://www.beijing-2008.org/Olympic_new/chinese/html/logos-summer.html :日本1964最可气—军国主义复辟?开玩笑。)(再者说了,“京”代表“北京”是近代的事吧?)

英文总站的(http://www.olympic.org)一段文字:
The artwork embodies four messages:
- Chinese culture,
- the color of red China
- Beijing welcomes friends from all over the world
- to challenge the extreme and achieve the perfect and promote the Olympic motto of "Citius, Altius, Fortius (Faster, Higher, Stronger).

The color of what? And who you callin' Red?

[改动:那个“京”字我一开始还以为是“文”字。还有,“京”代表“北京”应该没问题。Kvasir:你的中文字怎么回事,看不到?]

[Edited at 2003-08-05 21:52]

Kvasir
Canada
Local time: 01:04
English to Chinese
+ ...
I like the bid logo better Aug 5, 2003

[quote]Yongmei Liu wrote:

~{L+U~VN;/#:NR6A5=:COqDG

Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I like it because... Aug 5, 2003

Hello, Everyone!

I enjoyed reading your opinions in this discussion. I want to thank Ryan from Golden View to post this message. Ryan, I like to know what you and Amy think of it, too.

I have read the mixed reviews online in the Chinese websites about this new emblem of the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games unveiled a couple days ago. I think this is wonderful that everyone can express freely their opinions nowadays, well, at least in this case, which tells me that China has changed indeed, and we should celebrate that the people in China have such opportunity to say or criticize something openly as I observed online. Can you imagine what could happen to those people in China if it was 20 or 30 years ago?

I think the Chinese graphic designers are very talented and have done superb jobs in producing both emblems. By comparing with the previous emblem used in the application of 2008 Olympic Games, I agree that this new emblem is not as colorful and dynamic as the previous one. However, I like this new emblem for the following reasons:

1. Stone chop is a very smart choice. This is because that the use of seal is created by the Chinese people thousands years ago. It carries the symbolic meanings, such as keeping promise, agreement, concent, authorization, sincerity, integrity, approval, authority, etc. As you know that it is still the practice that many people in China use their personal chops or seals on a daily basis to receive money from post offices or withdraw money from a bank, because they believe that their personal chops or seals carry more authority than their personal signatures. I knew that the Chinese people and the government made a tremendous effort to get the authorization of hosting the 2008 Olympic Games, now it is their turn to deliver what has been promised to the world.

2. Chinese stone chop is about becoming a “lost art”. Many Chinese arts and cultural heritages have been popular and got frequent exposures in mass medias. For some reasons, I noticed that the Chinese stone chops did not get mentioned very often. I love stone chops myself and have a collection of 10 different stone chops in different styles for my personal use. All my American friends love Chinese stone chops, too. They always delighted if I bring them Chinese chops from China with their Chinese names carved into the stones. I hope this will bring some more interests and attentions to this wonderful Chinese art form, keep it alive, and do not let it become a “lost art”.

3. The red color is very powerful and well catches people’s attention. The use of red color is not a cliché, not political, but a well use of one simple color. As we know, the Chinese people love red color, which is the symbol of blood and enthusiasm. It has nothing to do with the communist party, because such passion to red among the Chinese people is far before the communist appeared in China. It seems to me that the graphic designers intentionally avoided from being political and selected the darker shade of red which is closer to the ink for stone chops, instead of using the fire red found in the Chinese national flag.

4. The dancing person or the person in movement carved in reverse in the stone chop is creative. It has been manipulated and written in the ancient Lishu style. But, it is NOT really a Chinese character. It is so stylized that it can ONLY resemble to the Chinese character of “京” which is the second character in “北京” (Beijing), and left lots of room for imagination and interpretation as the people may see whatever fits the best. To me, the way it was designed is more like a dancer in celebration or an athlete in movement depicted in over-simplified stokes, and such style can be found in the ancient ruins or on stone walls in mountains. It brings the flare of Chinese ancient writing style, yet not bookish and stuffy. It is so unique and people can immediately pinpoint that this has to do with China. I think this is an important identity that they want to achieve by presenting this emblem to the world.

5. As for the tag line of “Beijing 2008”, I like the idea of using a brush pen and write it in black ink. But I have to confess I had to get used to the writing style. I was told that it was originally designed to write it in a child’s handwriting style so as to bring the idea of “future generation” into this design. After they had over 300 children to submit their art works and none of them was selected due to the rigid formation and lack of flow with the rest of the design. So some adults took the chance and wrote it with a brush pen, just to make the writing flow better. I practice Chinese calligraphy myself, and I can relate how awkward to write English or Pin Yin with a brush pen. I guess I can say at least they tried their best on this.

Well, those are what I have on my mind for now. I would love to hear more of your opinions.

Kevin

[Edited at 2003-08-06 01:54]

Yongmei Liu  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
I agree with you: Aug 5, 2003

Kvasir wrote:

If i were to choose, i would pick the original bid logo, the one that looks like a person doing taichi.

We're still bitter that Toronto didn't get the games P

-Kvasir

The candidate city logo does look better:

http://www.beijing-2008.org/xwzx/hhkh/khsm/xwzx_hhkh_khsm.htm

Too bad you can't reuse it!

Golden View  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 15:04
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"Chinese Seal -- Dancing Beijing" Aug 6, 2003

"Chinese Seal -- Dancing Beijing" is official name of the logo, detail meaning can be found from the given URL (www.beijing-2008.org).

I guess foreigners may like this logo than most native Chinese people, because the chop or seal, plus Chinese character like dancing person are quite 'Chinese looking', maybe attractive for those who never come to China or have interest in Chinese culture.

I personally think Chinese Seal is a special and great idea, because a chop means commitment, it's quite a Chinese cultural expression.
The "dancing person' also looks like a sportsman approaching the finish line? That reflects the Olympic competition spirit! However it would be more great if the 'dancing person' is little bit more dynamic or "nonobjective" (like Tai-Ji?).

Just personal opinion to share.

Ryan
Golden View
Shenzhen, China

Yubing YANG
English to Chinese
+ ...
Understandable Aug 6, 2003

To me, say, Beijing is the city to host. So they choose a more unique logo. We are expecting more cities in China to host another Olympic:)
Bingo!

xxxchance
French to Chinese
+ ...
毫无疑问,构思动机是好的,但 Aug 6, 2003

Yongmei Liu wrote:
The candidate city logo does look better:

http://www.beijing-2008.org/xwzx/hhkh/khsm/xwzx_hhkh_khsm.htm

Too bad you can't reuse it!

缺少朝气和动感。从这点看,我也更喜欢“申办会徽”。
Kvasir wrote:

If i were to choose, i would pick the original bid logo, the one that looks like a person doing taichi.

We're still bitter that Toronto didn't get the games P

-Kvasir

巴黎也为此而痛苦!

[Edited at 2003-08-06 07:13]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Beijing 2008 Olympic logo

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search