Thread poster: clearwater
clearwater
clearwater
China
Local time: 17:46
English to Chinese
Apr 24, 2009

Andreas von Bechtolsheim
网上译名不一(我猜主要是有不少译者把该人当成英美人,殊不知德国人和英美人的姓名音译起来有很大不同),不知这个德国人的姓名应当译成什么好?
谢谢!

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 05:46
按照德语的读音 Apr 25, 2009

Andreas von Bechtolsheim
安德里亚斯·冯·贝希托尔斯海姆

von在德语里是一个介词,相当于英语的of,以前只有贵族或有钱人的姓里才有这个字。Bechtolsheim是一个地名,von Bechtolsheim 这个家族很可能是当地的一个大地主。

现在von这个词早就失去了身份的标志,不过我觉得听起来还是蛮神气的。

clearwater
clearwater
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
主要是Bechtolsheim如何译? Apr 25, 2009

谢谢!
我在网上查了一下,发现“贝托尔斯海姆”的说法远多于“贝希托尔斯海姆”。所以疑惑中。。。

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Ch Apr 26, 2009

clearwater wrote:

德语里ch这个字母组合的读音很像于汉语拼音里的x,所以比较完整的译法应该是“贝希托尔斯海姆“。不过人名翻译比较灵活,“贝托尔斯海姆”也不能算错。

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:46
Chinese to English
+ ...
"ch" Apr 26, 2009

Bin Tiede wrote:

clearwater wrote:

德语里ch这个字母组合的读音很像于汉语拼音里的x,所以比较完整的译法应该是“贝希托尔斯海姆“。不过人名翻译比较灵活,“贝托尔斯海姆”也不能算错。

Bin,

Just out of curiosity, when is "ch" pronounced like the Chinese sound "希", and when is it pronounced like the sound "喝" or "克".

I'm puzzled why the traditional translation for the last name of the famous composer/pianist Johann Sebastian Bach is 巴哈.

http://inogolo.com/pronunciation/Bach

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Sebastian_Bach

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
特殊规则 Apr 26, 2009

wherestip wrote:

Just out of curiosity, when is "ch" pronounced like the Chinese sound "希", and when is it pronounced like the sound "喝" or "克".

I'm puzzled why the traditional translation for the last name of the famous composer/pianist Johann Sebastian Bach is 巴哈.

ch在a和o的后面读成"喝"。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Bach Apr 26, 2009

Bin Tiede wrote:

wherestip wrote:

ch在a和o的后面读成"喝"。

Thanks, Bin.

One further question ... so is it "喝" or "克"? I know either way it's silent.

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
He Apr 26, 2009

wherestip wrote:

Bin Tiede wrote:

wherestip wrote:

ch在a和o的后面读成"喝"。

Thanks, Bin.

More like chinese Pinyin "he", but the "h" is stronger, 浊辅音。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Bach Apr 26, 2009

Bin Tiede wrote:

wherestip wrote:

Bin Tiede wrote:

wherestip wrote:

ch在a和o的后面读成"喝"。

Thanks, Bin.

More like chinese Pinyin "he", but the "h" is stronger, 浊辅音。

Thanks. That's what I figured, 'cause my mom was a pianist, and she used to pronounce it correctly as in German. Most people in the U.S. pronounce Bach as it sounds in the following link ...

http://inogolo.com/pronunciation/Bach

The pronunciation must have been Anglicized.

[Edited at 2009-04-26 18:09 GMT]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Johann Sebastian Bach Apr 26, 2009

BTW, I should have said composer/organist.

[Edited at 2009-04-26 20:03 GMT]

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Bak Apr 26, 2009

wherestip wrote:

It sounds /baak/ in English, the German way is /baahe/. Your Mom is (was?) very noble in her pronunciation.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Mom Apr 26, 2009

Bin Tiede wrote:

wherestip wrote:

It sounds /baak/ in English, the German way is /baahe/. Your Mom is (was?) very noble in her pronunciation.

Thanks. It's was.

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Life Apr 26, 2009

wherestip wrote:

Thanks. It's was.

That's just the way how life is.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Talented people Apr 26, 2009

Bin Tiede wrote:

wherestip wrote:

Thanks. It's was.

That's just the way how life is.

Indeed. Bea Arthur just passed away Saturday. What a loss!

Katrin Koehler (X)
Katrin Koehler (X)
China
Chinese to German
+ ...
A general rule Jun 7, 2009

Bin Tiede wrote:
wherestip wrote:

ch在a和o的后面读成"喝"。

The pronunciation of "ch" in German can be generalized to a rule: When it's behind a hard vowel in a syllable, such as /a/, /o/ or /u/, it is pronounced somehow like "赫"; otherwise, i.e., behind a soft vowel or an umlaut in a syllable, such as /e/, /i/, /ä/, /ö/ or /ü/, pronounced somehow like "希." For instance, "Mach" has been translated correctly, in respect of its pronunciation, into China as "马赫." So, Johann Sebastian Bach's family name should have been translated as "巴赫."

There is a famous German meat and vegetable stew called "Pichelsteiner Topf" or "Pichelsteiner Fleisch" or sometimes simply "Pilchelsteiner." I would translate this special stew into Chinese as "皮夏尔斯泰恩火锅." http://zhidao.baidu.com/question/89458362.html?fr=qrl

If "ch" leads a syllable, i.e., stands in front of a hard vowl to form a syllable, it is pronounced as /k/ and somehow like "希" otherwise. However, we say in German "No rules without exceptions": In the southern parts of Germany, people tend to pronounce "ch" leading a syllable as /k/, so that "China" would be pronounced by a Southerner as /kina/ instead of something similar to /xina/ or, more exactly, /çina/ as denoted in International Pronunciation Alphabets. We take southern accents for non-standard. The standard pronunciation can be heard from the announcers of TV news, which is usually regarded as Hannover accent, like Beijinger accent in Chinese.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

求教一位德国人士的音译

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »