The old rigmarole of childhood
Thread poster: Zhoudan
Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:34
English to Chinese
+ ...
Apr 28, 2009

翻译时经常感到中英文两种文字固然有很大差异,但相似之处也不少。一直想找Elizabeth Gaskell的Wives and Daughters看看,昨晚有时间,网上找出来,读了第一章开头几句,就忍不住笑了:

To begin with the old rigmarole of childhood. In a country there was a shire, and in that shire there was a town, and in that town there was a house, and in that house there was a room, and in that room there was a bed, and in that bed there lay
... See more
翻译时经常感到中英文两种文字固然有很大差异,但相似之处也不少。一直想找Elizabeth Gaskell的Wives and Daughters看看,昨晚有时间,网上找出来,读了第一章开头几句,就忍不住笑了:

To begin with the old rigmarole of childhood. In a country there was a shire, and in that shire there was a town, and in that town there was a house, and in that house there was a room, and in that room there was a bed, and in that bed there lay a little girl; wide awake and longing to get up...

看了这句,立刻想到小时候听到的故事:
从前有座山,山里有座庙,庙里有个老和尚,老和尚在给小和尚讲故事......

两种语言的句式有异曲同工之妙。

各位如果看到两种语言有这类异曲同工的文字,不妨贴在这里分享。

[Edited at 2009-04-28 01:07 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-04-28 01:08 GMT]
Collapse

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 09:34
Chinese to English
As I was going to St Ives; For Want of a Nail Apr 28, 2009

As I was going to St Ives
I met a man with seven wives
Each wife had seven sacks
Each sack had seven cats
Each cat had seven kits
Kits, cats, sacks, wives
How many were going to St Ives?

For Want of a Nail
For want of a nail the shoe was lost.
For want of a shoe the horse was lost.
For want of a horse the rider was lost.
For want of a rider the battle was lost.
For want of a batt
... See more
I met a man with seven wives
Each wife had seven sacks
Each sack had seven cats
Each cat had seven kits
Kits, cats, sacks, wives
How many were going to St Ives?

For Want of a Nail
For want of a nail the shoe was lost.
For want of a shoe the horse was lost.
For want of a horse the rider was lost.
For want of a rider the battle was lost.
For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.
And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.

[Edited at 2009-04-28 08:48 GMT]
Collapse

nigerose
nigerose  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 05:34
Chinese to English
+ ...
修辞 Apr 28, 2009

Zhoudan wrote:

To begin with the old rigmarole of childhood. In a country there was a shire, and in that shire there was a town, and in that town there was a house, and in that house there was a room, and in that room there was a bed, and in that bed there lay a little girl; wide awake and longing to get up...

看了这句,立刻想到小时候听到的故事:
从前有座山,山里有座庙,庙里有个老和尚,老和尚在给小和尚讲故事......

两种语言的句式有异曲同工之妙。

[Edited at 2009-04-28 01:07 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-04-28 01:08 GMT]

语言修辞是共通的

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
Folk story Apr 29, 2009

The Hengling Mountain of long ago was not like it is nowadays, mountain not like a mountain, ridges not like ridges, just a flat old tumble-down earthen mound. In those days, strange peaks pierced the cloudy sky, thick forests hid the red sun, tigers and leopards walked in the undergrowth, flood dragons hid in the deep pools, and round about for several hundred li it was a very famous mountain. On the mountain there weren't many tracks, and at the bottom of the mountain there weren't many houses... See more
The Hengling Mountain of long ago was not like it is nowadays, mountain not like a mountain, ridges not like ridges, just a flat old tumble-down earthen mound. In those days, strange peaks pierced the cloudy sky, thick forests hid the red sun, tigers and leopards walked in the undergrowth, flood dragons hid in the deep pools, and round about for several hundred li it was a very famous mountain. On the mountain there weren't many tracks, and at the bottom of the mountain there weren't many houses. There was just one family who lived at the foot of the mountain beside the river. ...Collapse

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
Once upon a time, long long ago... Apr 30, 2009

从前的横岭山,可不象如今这个样子:山不象山,岭不象岭,只是一个平塌塌的土堆堆;那时节呀,奇峰插云天,密林蔽红日,丛莽走虎豹,深潭潜蛟龙,是这方圆数百里内的一座名山大岭。山上少行踪,山下少人烟,山脚水畔只住着一户人家。... (‘九眼泉’(流传甘肃)黄 莺 授集整理,《民间童话故事选》,北京出版社,1979第一版、1983第四次印刷)

In the Time w
... See more
从前的横岭山,可不象如今这个样子:山不象山,岭不象岭,只是一个平塌塌的土堆堆;那时节呀,奇峰插云天,密林蔽红日,丛莽走虎豹,深潭潜蛟龙,是这方圆数百里内的一座名山大岭。山上少行踪,山下少人烟,山脚水畔只住着一户人家。... (‘九眼泉’(流传甘肃)黄 莺 授集整理,《民间童话故事选》,北京出版社,1979第一版、1983第四次印刷)

In the Time when Animals could Speak. When animals could speak there was great confusion! Wolves imitated men's voices, men imitated wolves' voices, dogs imitated their owners' voices, cats imitated dogs' voices, mice imitated cats' voices, and the fox, from outside the hencoop, imitated hens' voices… (Google)

[ 'mihimihi' 自我介绍:
Ko Tinana te waka My canoe is Tinana
Ko Whangatauatea te maunga My mountain is Whangatauatea
Ko Karirikura te Moana te awa My river is Karirikura te Moana
Ko Te Rarawa te iwi My tribe is Te Rarawa
Ko Patukirikiri te hapū My sub tribe is Patukirikiri
Ko Pōroa te rangatira Pōroa is the chief
Ko Roma te marae My marae is Roma Ko
Haami Piripi ahau. I am Haami Piripi. (Google)]

[Edited at 2009-05-01 04:40 GMT]

[标题已经过网站人员或版主的修改 2009-05-01 05:00 GMT]
Collapse

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
Mary's Magic ('The Secret Garden') Aug 1, 2009

Mary's Magic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GkjMZu2FrQ&feature=channel recorded from 'The Secret Garden' ...

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 17:34
有个德文单词很有意思 Aug 15, 2009

Zhoudan wrote:

两种语言的句式有异曲同工之妙。

Hühnerauge=Hühner+auge=鸡+眼=鸡眼

可惜英文的鸡眼与“鸡”和“眼”毫无关系。

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:34
Chinese to English
+ ...
修脚的 Aug 15, 2009

Bin Tiede wrote:

可惜英文的鸡眼与“鸡”和“眼”毫无关系。

That's true. I think the term for that is a "corn" in English.

You also need to see a podiatrist for problems like that over here.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/corn

corn
–noun Pathology.
a horny induration or callosity of the epidermis, usually with a central core, formed esp. on the toes or feet and caused by undue pressure or friction.

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:34
Chinese to English
+ ...
Correction Aug 15, 2009

wherestip wrote:

You also need to see a podiatrist for problems like that over here.

On second thought, I believe they have "corn removers" available at drug stores. These are over-the-counter little plasterlike pads that you apply to the location of the ailment.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The old rigmarole of childhood

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »