Off topic: Any recommendations for Japanese-Chinese or English-Chinese dictionaries?
Thread poster: Miho Ohashi
Miho Ohashi  Identity Verified
Japan
Member (2008)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Oct 1, 2009

Hello,

I recently started taking a Mandarin Chinese course at a continuing education facility of a local university.

Well, the truth is that I had tried it many times, but I've been hovering at somewhere between biginner and intermediate for a looooong time... for zillions of reasons I can give for an excuse)

Since I am a native Japanese speaker, writing and reading are not too difficult, but I find speaking (i.e. pronounciation) pretty hard. But I find the language very rich and beautiful, and enjoy studying it and learning about Chinese culture very, very much. One of my teachers I had previously told me, referring to Chinese characters, that the Chinese language is like a necklace of pearls: it is beautiful all together as a necklace, but still as beautiful when you look at each pearl. And I think it is very true.

This time (like many other times), I am taking it seriously and finally decided to invest some money in good dictionaries. I am debating between a Japanese-Chinese dictionary and a English-Chinese dictionary, in both directions.

Are there any good dictionaries that any of you recommend?

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

[Edited at 2009-10-01 18:16 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Bea Geenen  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
http://www.nciku.com/ Oct 1, 2009

Hi Miho,

As a loooooong time student of Chinese, I find that online dictionnaries are a lot more practical than paper ones. A good website for beginner/ intermediate level is www.nciku.com. It gives very practical examples, you can look up words either in English, pinying or by handwriting (with your mouse) a character. It also has an audiorecording for each word.

For a more advanced level, there is an excellent website called www.zhongwen.com. The characters are in traditional Chinese (with simplified characters between brackets) and it doesn't give a lot of examples, but it does provide a very good explanation of the origin of characters and a list of related characters - a real treasure and one of my favourite websites!

Good luck!

Bea

Miho Ohashi  Identity Verified
Japan
Member (2008)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 6, 2009

Hi Bea,

Thank you for your comment and advice!

I had a look at the online dictionaries you suggested and they look pretty resourceful. I also added them to my favorite links

Still too ambitious it may sound, but one of my dreams is to be able to translate Chinese texts one day... Well, dreaming is free, right?

Happy translating and studying!

Miho

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any recommendations for Japanese-Chinese or English-Chinese dictionaries?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search