Word to add to your Chinese>English dictionary
Thread poster: Denis Zavyalov
Denis Zavyalov  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:44
English to Russian
+ ...
Oct 15, 2003

Yesterday, I was fortunate to translate an article concerning today's China's first manned spaceflight from Russian into English. The new word to indicate Chinese spacemen is 'taikonaut'. Historically, Russian spacemen are called 'cosmonauts' (Greek 'cosmos' - space + Greek 'naut' - traveler), whereas American spacemen are called 'astronauts' ('Astra' - star, planet). The new Russian word is based on Chinese 'taikong' (space) and Greek 'naut', hence the term - taikonaut. Congratulations! We have witnessed a magnificent flight, and an interesting linguistic development in at least two languages.

Direct link Reply with quote

Yongmei Liu  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:44
English to Chinese
+ ...
It is indeed a well-coined word! Oct 15, 2003

...to match the marvellous achievement!

zavdenis wrote:

Yesterday, I was fortunate to translate an article concerning today's China's first manned spaceflight from Russian into English. The new word to indicate Chinese spacemen is 'taikonaut'. Historically, Russian spacemen are called 'cosmonauts' (Greek 'cosmos' - space + Greek 'naut' - traveler), whereas American spacemen are called 'astronauts' ('Astra' - star, planet). The new Russian word is based on Chinese 'taikong' (space) and Greek 'naut', hence the term - taikonaut. Congratulations! We have witnessed a magnificent flight, and an interesting linguistic development in at least two languages.

Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:44
English to Chinese
+ ...
Thanks for this great invention! Oct 15, 2003

zavdenis wrote:

I was so happy last night to see China's first manned space flight launched successfully that I added "taikonaut" to my glossary more than three times after reading your timely posting.

Thanks......

Marta Argat  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:44
Chinese to Ukrainian
+ ...
Great! Oct 17, 2003

And this also shows the ability of Russian language to use all - not only European - languages for smart coinages! ( We've spoke a lot about that @ the Russian forum )

English to Chinese
+ ...
True! Oct 17, 2003

Marta Argat wrote:

And this also shows the ability of Russian language to use all - not only European - languages for smart coinages! ( We've spoke a lot about that @ the Russian forum )

IMO, Russian is one of the most versatile(and difficult) languages in the world--- my/our parents were and still are crazy about it !

English to Chinese
+ ...
P.S. Oct 17, 2003

Marta Argat wrote:

Additionally, many Russian songs are simply beautiful!

Xiaoping Fu  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:44
Chinese to English
+ ...
太空和宇宙 Oct 17, 2003

前不久,我回了一趟大陆。与四岁的小外甥及12岁的外甥女一起玩。看着小外甥的一大堆玩具,我惊呼:“嚯!这么大的宇宙飞船!”谁知小外甥白了我一眼,说:“什么宇宙飞船,这叫‘太空船’!”外甥女在一旁窃笑:“老土了吧?”我顿感自愧弗如,说了声“后生可畏”,逃之夭夭。:-)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word to add to your Chinese>English dictionary

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search