https://www.proz.com/forum/chinese/180052-which_variety_of_english_is_used_by_chinese_companies_in_shenzhen_and_hong_kong.html

Which variety of English is used by Chinese companies in Shenzhen and Hong Kong?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 05:34
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Sep 11, 2010

Which variety of English is used by Chinese companies in Shenzhen and Hong Kong?

When I receive translation projects from Chinese companies where the translation to be done is from English into my mother tongue, Swedish, what variety of English is most often used in the material to be translated? Is it British or American English?

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 10:34
English to Thai
+ ...
Hong Kong English Sep 11, 2010

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:

When I receive translation projects from Chinese companies where the translation to be done is from English into my mother tongue, Swedish, what variety of English is most often used in the material to be translated? Is it British or American English?

I often have EN, JP, ZH, FR>JP, TH, EN translation jobs from my old agency in Shenzhen. I read Hong Kong English websites, journals and newspapers. I see Hong Kong movie subtitles. I tend to conclude that British English is commanding. But US English usage is rising quickly due to many multi-national enterprises investing in these special economic zones of China.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

nigerose
nigerose  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 11:34
Chinese to English
+ ...
Even Hongkong language experts advocate use of American English in Shenzhen Sep 12, 2010

深圳市人民政府外事办公室

我市公布公共场所双语标志英文翻译规则和实施指南
http://www.szfao.gov.cn/outweb/newsview.jsp

"专家委员会成员、市译协教授吴学文表示,深圳此次采用了“名从主人”的原则,并且经咨询香港专家后,所有词条拼写及选词均以美式英语为准。"
(I hope y
... See more
深圳市人民政府外事办公室

我市公布公共场所双语标志英文翻译规则和实施指南

"专家委员会成员、市译协教授吴学文表示,深圳此次采用了“名从主人”的原则,并且经咨询香港专家后,所有词条拼写及选词均以美式英语为准。"
(I hope you can understand Chinese, I don't have time to translate the information for you.)

深圳市公共场所双语标志英文翻译规则和实施指南新闻发言稿

By the way, an amusing post in "Shenzhen Forum": (Good examples of Chinglish!)
大运绿道标识牌的文字低级错误谁之过?
http://szbbs.sznews.com/viewthread.php?tid=903834&highlight=大运

[修改时间: 2010-09-12 03:25 GMT]
Collapse

kenny2006woo (X)
kenny2006woo (X)

English to Chinese
非母语者 英中翻译 Sep 12, 2010

Fredrik,你资料上面写的是做英中翻译,我看了你的英中译样,很不错。你母语是中文吗?我以前从没见过外国人做英中翻译,所以有点好奇。

lbone
lbone  Identity Verified
China
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Could be of any variations Sep 12, 2010

Agencies in Shenzhen may get English jobs from clients in different countries and may create their own English "sources" by translating from Chinese source documents by local translators.

It's similar for Hong Kong companies except that they could have real English original documents written directly by their clients in Hong Kong.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:34
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
IMO it doesn't matter that much Sep 18, 2010

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:

As Ibone pointed out, the source file could have come from anywhere in the world if your client in Shenzhen or HK asks you to translate from English to Swedish. Also, whether it is British or American or Australian English, it really is not a concern as long as you understand it.

[Edited at 2010-09-18 00:26 GMT]

nigerose
nigerose  Identity Verified
China
Chinese to English
+ ...
原来是个multilingual Sep 18, 2010

Fredrik原来是个multilingual,佩服。
中国国内翻译行业的低价格是众所周知的,不知道国内翻译公司能给Fredrik什么价格?冒昧地问一下。

Weedy Tan
Weedy Tan  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Chinese to English
+ ...
The difference is very subtle Oct 12, 2010

I would think that Hong Kong and Shenzhen will predominantly use the British English due to the influence of the Brits for a quite a long time in HK.

Mostly, there will not be much differences between American and British English except for some subtle nuances on slang, idioms, and technical terms.

redred
redred  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
For personal interest?翻译纯属个人兴趣 Oct 13, 2010

nigerose wrote:

Fredrik原来是个multilingual,佩服。
中国国内翻译行业的低价格是众所周知的,不知道国内翻译公司能给Fredrik什么价格?冒昧地问一下。

Chickenfeed? Market is average at all.

[Edited at 2010-10-13 03:00 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »