Teaching English: NOT a translation or interpreting job
Thread poster: liberation

liberation  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
Feb 7, 2004

I note the unfortunate inclusion of a call for resumes for the position of "English Teacher" by Tianyuan Institute in the list of Translation/Interpreting jobs (Jan 29).

I suggest that such jobs NOT be listed on this site, because:

*** Teaching English is not a translation/interpreting job

*** Proz.com best fulfills its mission when it focuses on the needs and concerns of professional translators/interpreters

*** Such announcements for English teachers to work in China are a dime-a-dozen and can easily be found elsewhere

Bruce Humes
Shenzhen, China

Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:07
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Welcome back to ProZ.com! Feb 7, 2004

Bruce Humes wrote:

I suggest that such jobs NOT be listed on this site, because:

*** Teaching English is not a translation/interpreting job

*** Proz.com best fulfills its mission when it focuses on the needs and concerns of professional translators/interpreters

*** Such announcements for English teachers to work in China are a dime-a-dozen and can easily be found elsewhere

Bruce Humes
Shenzhen, China

Hey, Bruce,

Great to hear from you! I noticed that you specifically wrote "Shenzhen, China" at the end your message. So I can assume you are back to Shenzhen now. I like that city a lot myself. Welcome back to ProZ.com, too!

I did not see that job posting myself. I totally agree with you that ProZ.com is not a place for searching English teachers. I guess the person who posted it believes that one who can translate English must be able to teach English. I am not sure about that. If they just want a native English speaker to practice conversational English with the students, that might be less critical.

Kevin

[Edited at 2004-02-07 08:57]

Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 15:07
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
Same job posted on Yahoo Feb 7, 2004

Well, the same job was posted on Yahoo Groups too!!

I applied for the translation project and I was even asked to do a sample translation. Personally, I was quite pleased with my work but I didn't hear anything from the other party after I submitted my sample translation. Now, I am beginning to wonder if it is a call for translation work or English teachers.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Teaching English: NOT a translation or interpreting job

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search