Yahoo.com: Access problems in China?
Thread poster: liberation
liberation  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
Feb 27, 2004

Over the last two weeks have found it increasingly difficult -- sometimes impossible -- to access my Yahoo.com e-mail account.

This is NOT a problem with my computer, since I have similar difficulties at Internet cafes at times.

My question: Is anyone else having the same problem? Do you know why? Is this a matter of public knowledge? Is the Chinese government making things "difficult" for Yahoo in the same way that it has periodically disenabled or hampered Google?

Thanks for any info including links on this if it is covered on the web.

Bruce Humes
Shenzhen, China

Direct link Reply with quote

Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 14:38
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
Me too!! Feb 27, 2004

Hey Bruce,

You're definitely not alone. I encountered the same problem last week and I know it happened to one of my friends living in Guangzhou too.

It seems to be better right now. I have no problem at all for this week.

Good luck!

Denyce

[Edited at 2004-02-27 03:41]

[Edited at 2004-02-27 09:18]

Singapore
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
Again???!! Mar 15, 2004

Bruce,

Yahoo Mail has been getting on my nerves again!! I've smashed two computers and one laptop because of it!! *arghhhhhhh* How is it over your side???

Denyce

liberation  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
A bit better than before... Mar 19, 2004

Have heard from others such as a fellow in Beijing that Yahoo is really slow these days, although it has improved for me of late.

Personally, I recommend:

1. Only use Yahoo as a long-term address where friends can find you a year from now, and not as "daily-use" address;

2. Get an e-mail with a server in China, which should be much faster. One free one recommended to me is at www.21cn.com . Probably THE best solution is a China-based service for which you pay; then you can expect great service.

Bruce

denyce wrote:

Bruce,

Yahoo Mail has been getting on my nerves again!! I've smashed two computers and one laptop because of it!! *arghhhhhhh* How is it over your side???

Denyce

Singapore
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
$$ = Service??? hmmmm Mar 19, 2004

I will only be in China till June so I can still B.E.A.R. with it. So long as they don't ban Google again, I'm cool!

Probably THE best solution is a China-based service for which you pay; then you can expect great service.

Oh come on... that isn't true!!

Shang
China
English to Chinese
maybe something wrong May 12, 2004

I've been experiencing the same. I guess Yahoo encounters some technical difficulties. The best choice is turning my back on it. Other mail servers such as 21cn.com work well.

[Edited at 2004-05-14 18:42]

Shang
China
English to Chinese
turn your back on it May 12, 2004

I've been experiencing the same. I guess Yahoo encounters some technical difficulties. The best choice is turning my back on it. Other mail servers such as 21cn.com work well.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Yahoo.com: Access problems in China?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search