Thread poster: Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:04
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Nov 21, 2011

这两者的区别是不是32位和64位?
Trados、Deja Vu、Office 2007、PDF solid converter、Adobe Professional 9是不是都只能装在32位的电脑上?如果换成64位的,是不是这些软件都得升级?

Direct link Reply with quote

wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:04
Chinese to English
+ ...
i3, i5, and i7 Nov 21, 2011

I could be wrong, but I think i3, i5, and i7 are all 64-bit processors.

Theoretically, they all should be backward compatible to run 32-bit applications. Here's one guy's explanation on this. Notice the only thing he warns about is the incompatibility of really old application programs that might have some 16-bit code in them ...

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/32-bit-and-64-bit-explained.htm

To run a 64 bit application, you need support from all lower levels (64 bit OS and 64 bit processor).

To run a 64 bit OS, you need support from its lower level (a 64 bit processor).

A 32 bit OS will run on a 32 or 64 bit processor without any problems.

Similarly a 32 bit application will run on any combination of OS and processor (except a combination of 32 bit processor and 64 bit OS which is not possible). This is usually accomplished through emulation which is an operating system feature, part of all major operating systems.

Device drivers run in parallel to the operating system. Emulation is done at the operating system level, and is available to its higher layer: the application. Therefore, it is not possible to install a 32 bit device driver on a 64 bit operating system.

Answers to common questions

Will a 64 bit CPU run a standard (32-bit) program on a 64-bit version of an OS?
Yes it will. 64 bit systems are backward compatible with the 32 bit counterparts.

Will a 64-bit OS run a standard application on a 64 bit processor?
Again, it will. This is because of backward compatibility.

Can I run W2K and WXP on an 64 bit CPU, and use old software?
Yes, a 32 bit OS (W2K and WXP) will run on a 64 bit processor. Also, you should be able to run "old software" on a 64 bit OS.

However, before I close, let me also quote that many times, a 64 bit software will contain bits of 32 bit code. Similarly 32 bit software (usually very old ones) can have some code in 16 bit. Please be aware that 16 bit code will NOT run on 64 bit OS. This is one reason behind some 32 bit programs not working on 64 bit OSes.

Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
这句话是什么意思 Nov 21, 2011

谢谢Steve。您提供的链接很有用,特别是那张图,一看就懂。

以下这句话我不太理解。是不是说,用了64位的操作系统后,32位的打印机之类驱动程序就装不了,也就是必须换新的打印机?还有一些网上银行密钥(有的要装驱动程序)也用不了了?

wherestip wrote:

Device drivers run in parallel to the operating system. Emulation is done at the operating system level, and is available to its higher layer: the application. Therefore, it is not possible to install a 32 bit device driver on a 64 bit operating system.

United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Nov 21, 2011

Zhoudan wrote:

谢谢Steve。您提供的链接很有用,特别是那张图,一看就懂。

以下这句话我不太理解。是不是说,用了64位的操作系统后,32位的打印机之类驱动程序就装不了,也就是必须换新的打印机?还有一些网上银行密钥(有的要装驱动程序)也用不了了?

wherestip wrote:

对,就是这个意思。 如果确实是如此的话,可以想法将 device driver 升级到 64 bit。 我猜想这并不难,因为通常这些东西网上可以下载。 联系一下产品制造商大概就可以解决了。 But I'm just guessing.

United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Compatibility of Device Drivers Nov 21, 2011

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit

Software availability

x86-based 64-bit systems sometimes lack equivalents to software that is written for 32-bit architectures. The most severe problem in Microsoft Windows is incompatible device drivers. Most 32-bit application software can run on a 64-bit operating system in a compatibility mode, also known as an emulation mode, e.g. Microsoft WoW64 Technology for IA-64 and AMD64. The 64-bit Windows Native Mode[22] driver environment runs atop 64-bit NTDLL.DLL which cannot call 32-bit Win32 subsystem code (often devices whose actual hardware function is emulated in user mode software, like Winprinters). Because 64-bit drivers for most devices were not available until early 2007 (Vista x64), using 64-bit Microsoft Windows operating system was considered a challenge. However, the trend is changing towards 64-bit computing as most manufacturers provide both 32-bit and 64-bit drivers nowadays, so this issue is most likely to occur when attempting to use older peripherals.

This is less of a problem with open source drivers that are already available for a 32-bit OS, since they can be modified to be 64-bit compatible, if necessary. Furthermore, support for hardware made before early 2007 was equally troubling for opensource platforms due to their small market shares in desktop market.

Yes, this you have to do some research on. I would definitely contact the software manufacturer to see if they provide customers with new 64-bit product keys for their existing software applications.

United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Windows 7 Nov 21, 2011

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/understanding-hardware-and-software-for-64-bit-windows

If you're trying to decide between a PC running a 32-bit version of Windows 7 or one with a 64-bit version of Windows 7, you might be concerned about the difference between 32-bit drivers and programs and 64-bit drivers and programs.

There's no need to worry. Simply put, a computer running a 64-bit version of Windows 7 needs 64-bit drivers for all your hardware and devices. A driver is software that allows your computer to communicate with hardware devices. Without drivers, the devices you connect to your computer or install inside your computer won't work properly. In most cases, Windows can automatically find and install those 64-bit drivers for you by searching a huge database of drivers included in Windows and using Windows Update.

Unlike drivers, most programs designed for 32-bit versions of Windows work just fine on computers running a 64-bit version of Windows. (Notable exceptions are antivirus programs and so-called utility programs, where you might need a 64-bit version.)

If you have a choice of whether to install a 32-bit or 64-bit version of a program, always choose the 64-bit version if you're running a 64-bit version of Windows. Even though the 32-bit version should work with a 64-bit version of Windows, chances are the 64-bit version will perform better, since it was designed for a 64-bit version of Windows.

Here's what Microsoft has to say about the issue. They make it sound easy, don't they?

But you're doing the right thing. Check with your bank to obtain the 64-bit compatible interface for online-banking security codes. Check with the printer manufacturer and ask about the availability of the 64-bit device driver. Most importantly, check with Trados, Deja Vu, et al to make sure they'd provide the latest compatible product license keys, or whatever it is that's necessary to run their software.

[Edited at 2011-11-22 14:20 GMT]

clearwater
China
English to Chinese
一点粗见 Nov 22, 2011

http://www.pc841.com/article/20110503-2335.html
http://www.mybjb.com/2010/0825/9245.html
http://windows.microsoft.com/zh-CN/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions
酷睿i3与酷睿i5都支持64位技术。
至于软件兼容,计算机领域一般都奉行向后兼容。也就是说,旧版本软件通常可以在新版本硬件系统上运行。32位软件是可以在64位软件上运行的。

Shouguang Cao
China
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
i7好 Nov 22, 2011

i7快,笔记本型i5性能一般。至于软件兼容问题,那是安装的系统问题,i7机器跟别的一样,上可以装任何版本的windows,也可以装linux。

装windows7的话,分32位和64位的,64位的windows7,装上64位的软件,计算速度要快些。64位系统可以安装绝大多数32位软件,32位系统不能装64位的软件

但实际上迄今为止64位软件还不流行,绝大多数都是32位软件,32位软件运行在64位的windows7上,性能不会有任何提高,极少数情况下甚至会有兼容问题。

因此,如果你梦想着未来会有很多的64位软件,那么就要64位的windows7。求稳的话,就装32位。

个人建议用64位的windows7,原因是我愿意冒这点小险。

多说点,所以cpu的位数,就是cpu同时(并行)计算的二进制位数。也就是数64位cpu可以同时处理64位二进制数据(一个英文字符占8位二进制数据,通常称一个byte,字节,那么64位的cpu可以同一时间处理8个字符,跟俺们火星人的技术相比,很一般嘛,哈哈)

如果软件是纯64位的,那么完成同样的计算,在cpu速度相同的情况下,效率理论上是32位软件两倍。

问题是如果你的软件是32位的,那么并行一次只给cpu32位数据处理,64位cpu剩下的32位cpu处理能力就浪费了。

cpu除了32和64位的,还有cpu有8位的(单板机,如洗衣机上的控制电路等,汉字与英文字符不同,要占16位,这是为什么你就是把洗衣机厂的工程师打死,他也没法让你家的洗衣机显示汉字的原因),16位的(小时候玩的小霸王游戏机)。

卖弄下!未查证,欢迎批评指正。

[Edited at 2011-11-22 10:59 GMT]

United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Windows 7 Nov 22, 2011

Zhoudan,

Here's another FAQ sheet from Microsoft that might be worth clicking through.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions

If I'm running a 64-bit version of Windows, do I need 64-bit drivers for my devices?
Yes. All hardware devices need 64-bit drivers to work on a 64-bit version of Windows. Drivers designed for 32-bit versions of Windows don't work on computers running 64-bit versions of Windows.

To learn how to check for drivers, see Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly or go to the device manufacturer's website. You can also get information about drivers by going to the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor webpage.

Another thing you could do is to purchase the installation disc package that includes both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions of Windows 7. In case you'd hit a wall obtaining the 64-bit device drivers for some peripherals or obtaining the product license keys for some essential application software, you could always fall back and reinstall the 32-bit version of Windows 7.

In this scenario, I would think you'd be paying for only one license, but would also have the flexibility of choosing which version to install. My guess it would be either, or at any one point in time.

Of course this wouldn't be an option if you buy a machine with the OS pre-installed. That's how most every new laptop here in the U.S. is sold, regardless of brand.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows-7

• In some countries or regions, Windows 7 comes in two versions: upgrade and full. For more information about which versions are available in your country or region, go to the Shop webpage.

• If you purchase an upgrade copy of Windows 7, you'll need to install Windows 7 on a computer running Windows XP or Windows Vista. For more information, go to Upgrading to Windows 7: frequently asked questions on the Windows website.

• The Windows 7 installation disc package includes both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 7. If you download Windows 7 from the Microsoft Store, you'll need to choose either a 32-bit version or 64-bit version to download. For help deciding which version to install, see 32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked questions.

[Edited at 2011-11-23 01:12 GMT]

Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
有人遇到了我最担心的问题 Dec 6, 2011

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/213569-incompatibility_between_64_bit_version_of_windows_7_and_multiterm_2007.html
我也用Multiterm 2007。不知道是不是因为multiterm有16位的程序。
看来这个问题已经解决了。很好!再观察一段时间!

[Edited at 2011-12-06 14:29 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

i3和i5

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search