English to Chinese
+ ...
Reality Mar 26, 2013

Alan Wang wrote:

ysun wrote:

以上意见,仅供参考。

[Edited at 2013-03-26 07:45 GMT]

Thanks.

I am still waiting for wherestip to show up and say that he agrees with you!

Before that, i am not sure that the mistakes or whatever are even real or just a figment of your imagination.

Anybody who has some basic knowledge of English and engineering can clearly see your mistakes, not to mention Steve (wherestip). It would take a lot more time and efforts to bring your piece of exercise to an acceptable quality level than to do post-editing of a Google-translated draft or to translate from scratch. Of course, you could still pull the wool over your own eyes!

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:01
English to Chinese
+ ...
That’s true Mar 26, 2013

wherestip wrote:

Not only that, He only touched on the important points that would prevent a test sample from getting a passing grade. If you want a deep dive or thorough scrutiny, there is a lot more room for improvement.

However, based on my experiences, it would be a great waste of time to make such a deep dive or thorough scrutiny.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Handsomely paid Mar 26, 2013

Alan Wang wrote:

Once a client sent me a 200 k file of Chinese characters, ... The final result was that I reduced the 200 k file into about 4 k of phrases that needed to be suitably translated with GT. After double checking the reverse-reduction process began to build up the whole document.
I got handsomely paid for the 4 k words - 1200 USD, mostly done by google translate because they were phrases. The client was unbelievably happy to boot, thinking it couldn’t have been done.

If my understanding is correct, you got paid 1200 USD for submitting a piece of “translation” of “a 200 k file of Chinese characters” (or rather, a file of 200 k Chinese characters) that you built up by your patent-pending technology from the 4 k words "mostly done by Google Translate". In other words, the rate is handsomely equivalent to $0.006 USD per Chinese character. No wonder “the client was unbelievably happy to boot”!

Alan Wang
Alan Wang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 00:01
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's mostly correct! Mar 26, 2013

I did it in 3 easy days. Earning 1200USD, not too bad, huh?

ysun wrote:

Alan Wang wrote:

Once a client sent me a 200 k file of Chinese characters, ... The final result was that I reduced the 200 k file into about 4 k of phrases that needed to be suitably translated with GT. After double checking the reverse-reduction process began to build up the whole document.
I got handsomely paid for the 4 k words - 1200 USD, mostly done by google translate because they were phrases. The client was unbelievably happy to boot, thinking it couldn’t have been done.

If my understanding is correct, you got paid 1200 USD for submitting a piece of “translation” of “a 200 k file of Chinese characters” (or rather, a file of 200 k Chinese characters) that you built up by your patent-pending technology from the 4 k words "mostly done by Google Translate". In other words, the rate is handsomely equivalent to $0.006 USD per Chinese character. No wonder “the client was unbelievably happy to boot”!

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Not too bad Mar 26, 2013

Alan Wang wrote:

A pupil might be able to translate 200 k Chinese characters into English in just 3 seconds by using commonly available software, but I am not sure if the quality is not too bad.

You certainly set a unique example of earning 1200 USD in 3 days at the rate of $0.006 per Chinese character!

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Be thankful Mar 26, 2013

ysun wrote:

Not too bad

Alan Wang wrote:

Not bad indeed. $400/day x 250 days/yr = $100k/yr. IMO it was a worthwhile project to take on.

You don't always get that lucky though. I suspect that sometimes the client doesn't really know the nature of his task and its degree of difficulty. In which case, things could go either way for the language service provider. IMO, you lucked out this time handling a bunch of discrete phrases that Google Translate spit out correctly.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
翻译质量上, 我觉得你应是 “瞎子吃汤圆 — 心中有数” Mar 26, 2013

... But the bottom line is you made a tidy sum in a short amount of time. In this regard, I'm happy for you.

[Edited at 2013-03-27 03:45 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
欢迎你反驳 Mar 27, 2013

Alan Wang wrote:

ysun wrote:

以上意见,仅供参考。

[Edited at 2013-03-26 07:45 GMT]

Thanks.

I am still waiting for wherestip to show up and say that he agrees with you!

Before that, i am not sure that the mistakes or whatever are even real or just a figment of your imagination.

如果你认为我所指出的错误属子虚乌有,欢迎你反驳。坦率地说,你那篇“练习”,问题还多着呢,其中不少是英语初学者才会犯的错误。你屡次在此贴出自己的试译,对别人的意见却一再置若罔闻。如此作秀,必适得其反。好自为之吧!

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
“心中有数” Mar 27, 2013

wherestip wrote:

翻译质量上, 我觉得你应是 “瞎子吃汤圆 — 心中有数”

看看他那篇关于“液膜分离法”的试译,就可想象出那20万字的翻译质量。20万字光是看一遍就得化多少时间?短短三天就对付了那20万字,那质量还能怎么样?大家心照不宣而已。

Phil 也翻过那篇专利,不妨听听他的高见。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
不同代人的道德准则 Mar 27, 2013

ysun wrote:

wherestip wrote:

翻译质量上, 我觉得你应是 “瞎子吃汤圆 — 心中有数”

看看他那篇关于“液膜分离法”的试译,就可想象出那20万字的翻译质量。20万字光是看一遍就得化多少时间?短短三天就对付了那20万字,那质量还能怎么样?大家心照不宣而已。

I actually don't like to post in situations like this that much. On one hand, you don't want to sound like a prude or a moralizer who thinks he's better than everyone else. On the other, you do feel the moral obligation to speak up on what you believe is the ethical thing to do.

I often waste a lot of time mulling over and modifying postings such as this. In the end, they still end up unsatisfactory. It's hard to strike a good balance.

I guess many of us still belong to the old school and believe in earning an honest dollar.

[Edited at 2013-03-28 11:52 GMT]

Alan Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
If you are really interested Mar 27, 2013

Don't you know that the most effective way to get your point across is to give your own version. Try to be a proofreader or a reviewer.

Let me see what you've got.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Errors Mar 27, 2013

Alan Wang wrote:

Don't you know that the most effective way to get your point across is to give your own version. Try to be a proofreader or a reviewer.

Alan,

Pardon me for being too frank, but if you can't understand the mistakes you've made after Yueyin pointed them out for you, you've got a long way to go.

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Chinese to English
:-/ Mar 27, 2013

ysun wrote:

Phil 也翻过那篇专利,不妨听听他的高见。

我也愿意把当时的译文拿出来,可以多听大家的意见,不过那是别人委托我的文本,哪怕只是试译而已,人家还是潜在客户(回头看,好像跟这家公司没做什么项目),最好别对他的文章太随便呢。

对于机器翻译这个东西上面已经说明白了,我跟它没有关系。

至于两万个字三天完成。。。我曾经一次跟印度公司合作过,他要我翻译一个中国的国标,费率不高,但我发现,国标的文本基本上都是某篇ISO标准翻译过来的,而且ISO已经被盗过,可以下载pdf版本。所以我接了,花了两天功夫做拷贝和核对工作,这样这个项目还值得做。我不能说赞成Alan的做法,但有的客户不需要质量好的,谁愿意做杂工就上吧。但不要说是”翻译“就是。

Alan Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
俗语 Mar 27, 2013

是驴子是马拖出来溜溜

wherestip wrote:

Alan Wang wrote:

Alan,

Pardon me for being too frank, but if you can't understand the mistakes you've made after Yueyin pointed them out for you, you've got a long way to go.

Alan Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The Joke (Is Not On Me) Mar 27, 2013

I am amazed some True Professionals seem to think that using GT is to let it to make decision for you.
GT results are reference only.
Just like the other reference tools.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is post-editing exactly?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »