Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Off topic: Dealing with Human and Natural Disasters.
Thread poster: David Shen
David Shen
David Shen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:45
English to Chinese
+ ...
Apr 16, 2013

I did not learn what happened in Boston until 6:00pm California time, which is 9:00pm in Boston. I have not talked to my big boy yet, but I know by now that he is fine. Hope all is well with you and yours!

Shaun Yeo
Shaun Yeo  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:45
English to Chinese
+ ...
大叔在波士顿呀? Apr 16, 2013

希望大叔一切安好。

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:45
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
It was described as "An Attack" by the Boston Police Commissioner. Apr 16, 2013

It's good to know that Dave's Big Boy is fine. Shaun, I was at home at that time. Everything is OK. Thanks.

感謝同仁關心,並向死難謝致哀!

[Edited at 2013-04-16 15:39 GMT]

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:45
Chinese to English
+ ...
Remembering the Victims of the Terrorist Attack Apr 17, 2013

http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-504083_162-10016486.html

This scum of the earth will get caught. It's just a matter of time.

James_xia
James_xia  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Very sorry to hear that ... Apr 18, 2013

pkchan wrote:

It's good to know that Dave's Big Boy is fine. Shaun, I was at home at that time. Everything is OK. Thanks.

感謝同仁關心,並向死難謝致哀!

[Edited at 2013-04-16 15:39 GMT]

希望这一地区所有翻译同仁平安无恙~

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
这种人渣应遭天谴 Apr 19, 2013

pkchan wrote:

It was described as "An Attack" by the Boston Police Commissioner.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/hqpl/zggc/2013-04-18/content_8791800.html

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
One dead, the other on the run Apr 19, 2013

Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26 †
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19

David Shen
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
They got him! Apr 20, 2013

Hi Shaun, Steve, James and Yueyin,

I just read the news that one of the suspects was killed and the other is now in police custody. The entire city of Boston was shut down for much of the day on Friday, but now the manhunt seems to be over.

It is almost midnight Saturday night here in CA. I have been staying up late lately and any news from Boston is on my nerves. I guess I have more reasons to worry because my big boy is there. His school is in downtown and only a few
... See more

I just read the news that one of the suspects was killed and the other is now in police custody. The entire city of Boston was shut down for much of the day on Friday, but now the manhunt seems to be over.

It is almost midnight Saturday night here in CA. I have been staying up late lately and any news from Boston is on my nerves. I guess I have more reasons to worry because my big boy is there. His school is in downtown and only a few blocks from the finish line of the Marathon. I am glad its over.

Thank you PK for responding promptly and your readiness in contacting my boy!

[Edited at 2013-04-20 06:59 GMT]
Collapse

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
What a great job! Apr 20, 2013

David Shen wrote:

It is almost midnight Saturday night here in CA. I have been staying up late lately and any news from Boston is on my nerves. I guess I have more reasons to worry because my big boy is there. His school is in downtown and only a few blocks from the finish line of the Marathon. I am glad its over.

Thank you PK for responding promptly and your readiness in contacting my boy!

Hi, David. It's good to see you post in the forum once in a while. Of course I'd prefer to hear from you a lot more often.

I'm glad to hear that your son is okay. Now you could breathe a sigh of relief and rest easier. So could the whole city of Boston, and the whole nation for that matter.

What an outcome that was to this massive manhunt! I watched the nonstop live coverage last night throughout the night. Almost all the regularly scheduled network TV programs were preempted anyway.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Hi David Apr 20, 2013

I am glad to hear that your big boy is safe and sound!

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:45
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
暫時鬆了一口氣 Apr 20, 2013

在4月18日星期四,當總統奧巴馬在波士頓聖十字架天主教總堂,參加完跨信仰悼儀式,及會見馬拉松義工及應急人員,剛離開波士頓後,在東部時間下午5時10分,FBI終向公眾公佈疑兇照片,較早前曾宣佈舉行的新聞發佈會一改再改。早在星期三,執法人員已預先獲得照片,當然是比向公眾發表的更多及詳盡,包括疑兇放下背包的照片。此後,網上便進行有史以來最大規模的人肉搜索,包括各大小social media,討論區,blogs,他們發表的照片,比FBI公佈的更多、更清晰,enhence技術更先進,疑兇身份已經鎖定,其中當然是有真也有假,就算連他們在做案時,所帶鴨舌帽的牌子也一清二楚。疑兇已被逼移動,離開藏暱地點,並故佈疑陣,槍殺麻省理工MIT校警,轉移視線。其後所發生的事情,過程就在電視直播中全部顯現了出來。

在短短5天之內,案情有了初步的結果,總要歸功於執法人員、群眾與電子攝錄技術,而social media 及電腦科技已發揮了效能。事情總算告一段落,今後在上班途中,經過部份馬拉松跑徑時,除了想起所有死傷者外,特別希望波士頓大學中國留學生呂令子同學安息。

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Honoring the victims of the tragedy in Boston Apr 21, 2013

The flag of the United States was flown at half-staff throughout the United States from April 16 to April 20, 2013.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/04/16/presidential-proclamation-honoring-victims-tragedy-boston-massachusetts

Boston Red Sox honor victims and survivors of
... See more
The flag of the United States was flown at half-staff throughout the United States from April 16 to April 20, 2013.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/04/16/presidential-proclamation-honoring-victims-tragedy-boston-massachusetts

Boston Red Sox honor victims and survivors of marathon bombing
http://photos.oregonlive.com/photo-essay/2013/04/boston_explosions_boston_red_s.html
Here is one of the pictures from the above link:
Collapse

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
很令人感动的 Apr 21, 2013

Yueyin,

Thanks for the links and images. It tugs at one's heartstrings.

David Shen
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sure, after I retire. Apr 22, 2013

wherestip wrote:

Hi, David. It's good to see you post in the forum once in a while. Of course I'd prefer to hear from you a lot more often.

Steve,

I would like to visit more often but I do not have as much free time as I used to have some 4 years ago. Loss of your own time is what a marriage does to a man (even if you do not care about your money), but translators are hard-workers and need time most, so think again those of you who intend to remarry!

Joking aside, I salute the regulars here who contribute to this forum frequently and keep it lively for many to enjoy. Some of your in-depth discussions on the art of translation are illuminating. I also wish to read more posts on the lighter side as we had in '05-'08. I hope the old Prozians are doing well and they would also drop in from time to time.

David Shen
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have peace of mind now. Apr 22, 2013

ysun wrote:

I am glad to hear that your big boy is safe and sound!

Thank You Yueyin,

My boy and a couple of his buddies were acutally planning on going to the finish-line, but the boys got hungry after working overtime on thier intern jobs and decided to go somewhere and EAT FIRST. By the time they were done eating, they found that it was too late to rush over there, so they did not go. I am glad they went to a busy restaurant or met a slow chef.

Next time if I have to wait for a long time in a restaurant, I will not complain!

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dealing with Human and Natural Disasters.

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »