Thread poster: clearwater
clearwater
clearwater
China
Local time: 17:34
English to Chinese
Nov 10, 2013

http://www.fortunechina.com/rankings/c/2013-09/23/content_176635_25.htm

When Karp dropped out of high school at age 15, it wasn't without a life plan: "I wanted to drive software, and I wanted to build stuff on the Internet," he recalls.
“我想要驱动软件,我还想开发在线产品,”他回忆道。

总觉得将drive一概译成“驱动”是偷懒的做法。

但又想不出此处如何表述比较贴切。听听大家的意见。

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
”推动“好些 Nov 10, 2013

clearwater wrote:

http://www.fortunechina.com/rankings/c/2013-09/23/content_176635_25.htm

When Karp dropped out of high school at age 15, it wasn't without a life plan: "I wanted to drive software, and I wanted to build stuff on the Internet," he recalls.
“我想要驱动软件,我还想开发在线产品,”他回忆道。

总觉得将drive一概译成“驱动”是偷懒的做法。

但又想不出此处如何表述比较贴切。听听大家的意见。

我觉得这里用”推动“比较好些,我要推动软件发展。”驱动“一般用于技术文章中。

其他的翻译也比较差,比如,it wasn't without a life plan,The rest is history。

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:34
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
同意是推动...发展 Nov 10, 2013

to drive 在这里好像有 to cause something to make progress 的意思,不是 IT 或技术方面的驱动 to provide power for the machine to move.

Jinhang Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
一声叹息 Nov 11, 2013

David Lin wrote:

to drive 在这里好像有 to cause something to make progress 的意思,不是 IT 或技术方面的驱动 to provide power for the machine to move.

怎么说《财富》也是品牌杂志,想不到中文网译文这么水!

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:34
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
财富? Nov 11, 2013

有可能他们只懂有关财经的翻译吧?我们要不要诚意邀请 “财富” 的中文网负责人访问一下这个论坛? ;)

我也曾经看过一些翻译稿件里面的专用名词全部用 Google 的在线翻译,开始以为是偶然一次,越看越发现问题所在 - 跟“驱动”和“推动”的混淆出现一样的问题。

Marvin Sun
Marvin Sun  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
很多翻译杂志都不怎么样 Nov 11, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

David Lin wrote:

怎么说《财富》也是品牌杂志,想不到中文网译文这么水!

上次在超市看到一本杂志,某商业组织的president居然译为“总统”,这估计连google翻译都不会搞错。

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:34
Chinese to English
+ ...
选词不当 Nov 11, 2013

这年头中文词汇的传统用法变化得太多太快, 我们这些长期不在国内住的很难跟得上中文语言使用上的发展。弄不好还是少见图多怪。

比如说,“驱动” 能否 代替 “推动” 就不易判断。

这和 clearwater 提出的其它几个问题 不太一样, 那些地方 意思完全翻错了。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
"诉讼苦衷" Nov 11, 2013

wherestip wrote:

Sometimes it's the other way around too. Some terms lose their traditional meaning after repeated use in some specialty field, to the extent that correct usage sometimes is perceived as wrong.

I remember responding to a KudoZ question way back when. I gave a suggestion of "权利诉讼 或 权利要求" for the English phrase "claims of privilege", which was met with a snide remark of "that is absurd". Granted, my Chinese was kind of rusty at that point - and to some extent it still is, especially when it comes to the new-fangled Chinese people speak today - but I don't think it stunk to the level of soliciting that kind of vehement indignation.

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/english_to_chinese/law:_contracts/1615402-honor_claims_of_privilege_recognized.html

Doroto wrote:

... "诉讼" is just limited to a court litigation in Chinese.Thats very bad chinese, actually. Trust me.

Back to the issue of 驱动, if you think of it as a combo of 先驱 and 推动, IMO it's not all that outlandish in the context of pioneering in the realm of technological innovation.

[Edited at 2013-11-11 20:25 GMT]

Jing F
Jing F
United Kingdom
Chinese to English
+ ...
meaning of 'drive' Nov 11, 2013

Drive means use or a better word 'develop'

clearwater
clearwater
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
同感 Nov 12, 2013

Prix wrote:

Drive means use or a better word 'develop'

谢谢!
我也觉得将此处的drive译成“开发或从事...开发”比译成“推动...发展”来得更合适。

Jinhang Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
个人的看法 Nov 12, 2013

wherestip wrote:

wherestip wrote:

Sometimes it's the other way around too. Some terms lose their traditional meaning after repeated use in some specialty field, to the extent that correct usage sometimes is perceived as wrong.

I remember responding to a KudoZ question way back when. I gave a suggestion of "权利诉讼 或 权利要求" for the English phrase "claims of privilege", which was met with a snide remark of "that is absurd". Granted, my Chinese was kind of rusty at that point - and to some extent it still is, especially when it comes to the new-fangled Chinese people speak today - but I don't think it stunk to the level of soliciting that kind of vehement indignation.

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/english_to_chinese/law:_contracts/1615402-honor_claims_of_privilege_recognized.html

Doroto wrote:

... "诉讼" is just limited to a court litigation in Chinese.Thats very bad chinese, actually. Trust me.

Back to the issue of 驱动, if you think of it as a combo of 先驱 and 推动, IMO it's not all that outlandish in the context of pioneering in the realm of technological innovation.

这里的 claims 翻译成“诉讼”似乎不太恰当,不过翻译成“要求”是准确的。“主张”似乎也不是最佳译法。

[Edited at 2013-11-12 10:06 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-11-12 10:09 GMT]

Jinhang Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
译者不够细心 Nov 12, 2013

David Lin wrote:

有可能他们只懂有关财经的翻译吧?我们要不要诚意邀请 “财富” 的中文网负责人访问一下这个论坛? ;)

我也曾经看过一些翻译稿件里面的专用名词全部用 Google 的在线翻译,开始以为是偶然一次,越看越发现问题所在 - 跟“驱动”和“推动”的混淆出现一样的问题。

有的翻译正好把意思弄反。比如,前面 clearwater 举的另一个例子:

http://www.proz.com/forum/chinese/259297-译文探讨.html

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
由 “驱动” 联想到的 Nov 12, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

wherestip wrote:

wherestip wrote:

Doroto wrote:

这里的 claims 翻译成“诉讼”似乎不太恰当,不过翻译成“要求”是准确的。“主张”似乎也不是最佳译法。

Oh, I completely agree with you. At the time I haven't done any significant amount of Chinese reading for a long time (almost 30 years), so I kinda put together my own terminology. Think of the character 诉 as filing or laying a claim, and 讼 as a dispute that gets decided by the authorities. I admit it's worse than using 驱动 in this other context, but I don't think either rises to the level of being "absurd".

Now that I think about it, I was probably thinking more along the lines of "申诉" "申张". I know, neither of these are accurate either.

[Edited at 2013-11-12 17:15 GMT]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
意思翻错 Nov 12, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

译者不够细心

IMO, 少数情况是由于偶然马虎粗心,多数还是工夫不到家。

[Edited at 2013-11-12 17:13 GMT]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Improvising Nov 12, 2013

This happened years ago when I was working in East Fishkill. A coworker said his son was going to a Grateful Dead concert, and wanted to make a T-shirt with the band's name printed in Chinese on it. I had a choice between 谢魂 and 酬魂, and thought the latter would look better on a T-shirt. I knew it wasn't exactly accurate, but still went with it.

This was the early '80s. I figured who would know the difference in New York anyway. ...
See more
This happened years ago when I was working in East Fishkill. A coworker said his son was going to a Grateful Dead concert, and wanted to make a T-shirt with the band's name printed in Chinese on it. I had a choice between 谢魂 and 酬魂, and thought the latter would look better on a T-shirt. I knew it wasn't exactly accurate, but still went with it.

This was the early '80s. I figured who would know the difference in New York anyway.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

译文探讨1

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »