Dr. Eye vs. Babylon vs. .... ?
Thread poster: McKinley (X)
McKinley (X)
McKinley (X)
Local time: 14:12
Chinese to English
Oct 25, 2004

Hello,

Well I guess it's time to upgrade my on-screen Chinese-English dictionary. I've been using Dr. Eye (亩翴硄) for years, but my version (2002) is getting old and doesn't seem to work with WinXP SP2.

I downloaded the trial version of Babylon traditional Chinese, but the choices are very very limited. Dr. Eye is limited too, but at least there are monthly updates.

Has anyone used both, or another option, and have an idea which is better for Chinese t
... See more
Hello,

Well I guess it's time to upgrade my on-screen Chinese-English dictionary. I've been using Dr. Eye (亩翴硄) for years, but my version (2002) is getting old and doesn't seem to work with WinXP SP2.

I downloaded the trial version of Babylon traditional Chinese, but the choices are very very limited. Dr. Eye is limited too, but at least there are monthly updates.

Has anyone used both, or another option, and have an idea which is better for Chinese to English? I'll probably opt for the newer Dr. Eye after looking at the poor selection of entries in Babylon, but if anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know.

Whatever you use (if any), please write your comments here so we can compare pros and cons.

Thanks,
M.

[Edited at 2004-10-25 02:03]
Collapse

Shang
Shang
China
English to Chinese
try PowerWord Oct 25, 2004

I've used PowerWord 2000 (金山词霸) for years. It's a big package containing tens of dictionaries. If you use a newer version, you need choose which dictionaries are loaded when you move mouse over words. It allows users to create their own glossaries. It can be downloaded from Internet.

edmund shang

Denyce Seow
Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
Wenlin and Powerword Oct 25, 2004

Hi McKinley,

I am using Wenlin and Powerword. I don't know if they are anywhere near Dr. Eye (it's the first time I heard of Dr. Eye), but here are my evaluations of both software:

Wenlin 文林:
My friend, who studies Chinese at a translation university in Germany, recommended this software. You have the options of finding a character X or a term XY using Pinyin, stroke count, frequency, Unicode or containing components. Once you get the character X, you can choo
... See more
Hi McKinley,

I am using Wenlin and Powerword. I don't know if they are anywhere near Dr. Eye (it's the first time I heard of Dr. Eye), but here are my evaluations of both software:

Wenlin 文林:
My friend, who studies Chinese at a translation university in Germany, recommended this software. You have the options of finding a character X or a term XY using Pinyin, stroke count, frequency, Unicode or containing components. Once you get the character X, you can choose to "list characters containing X as a component", "list words containing X" or "list words starting with X".

This software is very useful for Chinese learners as it can even pronounce the characters and find radicals by stroke count or number. Nonetheless, I find it a very helpful tool too because the terms are quite comprehensive. You'd be surprised with what you can find in there.

Powerword 金山词霸:
This is a software developed by Kingsoft. You can find by Chinese or English terms. Personally, I do not like Kingsoft software because they are quite crap, especially their 金山快译. Well, well.... but I still use Powerword if I need to do a quick check of the terms.

Usually I like to refer to hard-copy dictionaries more than such software. You might like to consider visiting Shanghai for dictionary shopping!! There is a 外文书店 that sells dictionaries at incredibly reasonable prices.

Good luck with your search!!

Denyce
Collapse

Shaun Yeo
Shaun Yeo  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
Any recommendation...ur...hotels and bookstores? Oct 25, 2004

Hi Weiwei,
I may have a chance to go to Shanghai early December this year. I would probably stay around Fujian Road, if there is any good hotels around. And I would like to take a peep at those 外文书店,do you have any recommendation (both hotel and bookstore)? Would really appreiate any tips from you or other esteemed members of the list here.

Regards,
Shaun

McKinley (X)
McKinley (X)
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
hard-copy dictionaries Oct 25, 2004

Thanks Denyce and Shang, I'll look into the ones you mentioned.

I know hard-copy dictionaries are generally much much better, but these on-screen ones are so much faster, and sometimes you just need a quick idea of what a word or term means. I wish they had as many terms in them as a hard copy dictionary, but I guess I'm dreaming.

So far I've had no luck with Babylon... way too few words. I don't think Dr. Eye works with simplified Chinese, that may be why you haven't h
... See more
Thanks Denyce and Shang, I'll look into the ones you mentioned.

I know hard-copy dictionaries are generally much much better, but these on-screen ones are so much faster, and sometimes you just need a quick idea of what a word or term means. I wish they had as many terms in them as a hard copy dictionary, but I guess I'm dreaming.

So far I've had no luck with Babylon... way too few words. I don't think Dr. Eye works with simplified Chinese, that may be why you haven't heard of it. To tell the truth, it's pretty much crap too, but it is fast.

Any others? i just remembered another one I used a couple times, CEDict. Works ok I guess, but the same problem - not enough terms.

I want one with 10 million basic terms, all the Θ粂 in the Θ粂勉ㄥ and maybe another 5 million technical terms. Oh and I want it to be instant, no looking up characters by stroke order, etc. That would make me happy.
Collapse

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 18:12
Chinese to English
Thanks - now I know what Dr Eye is! Oct 25, 2004

Hi McKinley, Denyce et al. Thanks - now I know what Dr Eye is! I'd heard someone else say it was great, but didn't have a clue what it was. In fact I had no idea about any of these tools til now. Great stuff, opening up this thread.

Denyce Seow
Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
Dictionary Shoppppping!!! Oct 28, 2004

To Shaun:

Try 锦江之星. It is a budget hotel chain, but it is really clean and near to Nanjing Road!! What more can you ask for??!! Hehe. You have to book early for the one near Nanjing Road because they are full most of the time.

There is only one 外文书店, but it is huge! I forgot which road it is on, but you can ask at the hotel reception. The dictionaries are really cheap, e.g. my "Practical Chinese-English Dictionary of TCM" costs only S$19!! Make sure you
... See more
To Shaun:

Try 锦江之星. It is a budget hotel chain, but it is really clean and near to Nanjing Road!! What more can you ask for??!! Hehe. You have to book early for the one near Nanjing Road because they are full most of the time.

There is only one 外文书店, but it is huge! I forgot which road it is on, but you can ask at the hotel reception. The dictionaries are really cheap, e.g. my "Practical Chinese-English Dictionary of TCM" costs only S$19!! Make sure you have one full afternoon for your dictionary shopping, and bring a big haversack to lug your new babies home! Oh, there is a Starbucks around the corner............ drop by for a frappucino!

Hmmm, you probably need to exercise some self-control at the bookstore. You wouldn't want to buy too many dictionaries and end up with paying for excess luggage at the airport. If you got too much, try mailing the dictionaries home. I think I paid S$80 for a 17kg box. I mailed four boxes before I left China, and it took them almost two months to reach me in Germany.

To McKinley:
Good luck with finding the right software. Sorry I am not much of a help. Do let us know if you find something good.
Collapse

Bo Smith
Bo Smith
English to Chinese
+ ...
I am using Dr. Eye 6.0 SP3 Oct 29, 2004

Hello McKinley,

I have never liked those soft-copy real-time dictionaries before. But recently I tried out Dr. Eye 6.0 w/ SP3 and so far I haven't uninstall it yet.

I never used older version of Dr. Eye so I cannot compare it for you. But with 6.0, it seems pretty neat! I like its small instant dictionary. I like its full-text translation too. It is cr@p like most other machine translation but it somehow inspires you when you get
... See more
Hello McKinley,

I have never liked those soft-copy real-time dictionaries before. But recently I tried out Dr. Eye 6.0 w/ SP3 and so far I haven't uninstall it yet.

I never used older version of Dr. Eye so I cannot compare it for you. But with 6.0, it seems pretty neat! I like its small instant dictionary. I like its full-text translation too. It is cr@p like most other machine translation but it somehow inspires you when you get stuck.

I still use other type of dictionaries most of the time. But it is nice to have this software installed that I can get a quick reference.

If you want some more information on Dr. Eye 6.0, you may visit their official web site.

http://www.dreye.com/tw/service/q_a/index.shtml

Good Luck!
Sylvia

[Edited at 2004-10-29 19:00]
Collapse

McKinley (X)
McKinley (X)
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Dr. Eye 6.0 Oct 29, 2004

Thanks Sylvia, I was hoping someone would give a review of Dr. Eye 6.0.

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
可惜只适用中文版系统 Oct 29, 2004

读了你们的介绍,很想试试,但系统需求:
仅用於Windows 98/ Me / 2000 / XP/ 2003中文版

Bo Smith
Bo Smith
English to Chinese
+ ...
Detailed Review of Dr. Eye 6.0 Oct 29, 2004

Perhaps I should give a more detailed review of Dr. Eye. (Hum, I need to collect marketing service fee from them. LOL)

I don't know if the older version of Dr. Eye have these cool features I have with 6.0, but I really like them.

Once you installed, you will have a small tool bar on the top of your screen. There are 3 categories of functions:

1. Basic:
- Instant Translation (the mouse-over thingy)
- Instant Wording
- Instant dictionary
... See more
Perhaps I should give a more detailed review of Dr. Eye. (Hum, I need to collect marketing service fee from them. LOL)

I don't know if the older version of Dr. Eye have these cool features I have with 6.0, but I really like them.

Once you installed, you will have a small tool bar on the top of your screen. There are 3 categories of functions:

1. Basic:
- Instant Translation (the mouse-over thingy)
- Instant Wording
- Instant dictionary
- Multilingual Input Method
- Instant Speech
- Dictionary Notepad
- Multilingual View

2. Translator:
- Fill-text translation (T. Chinese to S. Chinese; T.Chinese to Eng.; S.Chinese to English; English to T.Chinese; Egnlish to S.Chinese; T.Chinese to Japanese; Japanese to T.Chinese; Japanese to S.Chinese....etc.etc.)
- Web page translation (this is really cool, it translates the whole web page for you, not perfectly, but convinient).
- File Translation
- Localization (it localize your software from Egnlish to Chinese interface, pretty neat too)

3. Excercise:
- Wordbuilder
- Sentence pattern
- Test Paper
- Voice Recorder

It has more than 20 built-in dictionaries (including Japanese to Chinese one). It has some topic-specific dictionaries such as computer, business..etc.

After you installed it, it creates a new tool bar in MS WORD and IE to let you instaly translate text just like in the Full-text translation tool.

Everytime you launch it, it downloads new words on-line from their server. Cool, eh?

[Edited at 2004-10-29 22:57]
Collapse

Last Hermit
Last Hermit
Chinese to English
+ ...
Did you happen to know that a pop-up copy of New Oxford Dictionary of English costs less than 15 USD Oct 31, 2004

weiwei wrote:
Usually I like to refer to hard-copy dictionaries more than such software. You might like to consider visiting Shanghai for dictionary shopping!! There is a 外文书店 that sells dictionaries at incredibly reasonable prices.
Denyce

The same content as the print version, which is available in China at RMB248. A big tomme, with heaps of idioms and phrases that you can't even find in a full copy of OED. Do a search on the Net, and you'll find that the Pop-up New Oxford English Dictionary sometimes costs less than USD$5!

Pop-up here certainly means the mouse-over feature like Kingsoft has.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dr. Eye vs. Babylon vs. .... ?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »