Local time: 22:10
English to Chinese
+ ...
经常去香港打酱油的路过 Jan 11, 2014

香港的日用品不仅价格便宜,而且质量也比内地的好。

ysun wrote:

Rita Pang wrote:

地理环境当然是因素,可是真正认识中国现况的人都知道,在美国三线城市买房子可能比在中国、香港便宜,中国物价也不见的特别低。

我两个月前去温哥华。当与来自中国大陆和当地的华人聊天时,大家的一致结论是:就许多生活必需品而言,加拿大的物价比美国贵,而中国大陆的则比加拿大更贵。房价就更甭提了。深圳人到香港打酱油,温哥华人则开车到美国打汽油。

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:10
Chinese to English
+ ...
生活必需品 Jan 11, 2014

ysun wrote:

Rita Pang wrote:

地理环境当然是因素,可是真正认识中国现况的人都知道,在美国三线城市买房子可能比在中国、香港便宜,中国物价也不见的特别低。

我两个月前去温哥华。当与来自中国大陆和当地的华人聊天时,大家的一致结论是:就许多生活必需品而言,加拿大的物价比美国贵,而中国大陆的则比加拿大更贵。房价就更甭提了。深圳人到香港打酱油,温哥华人则开车到美国打汽油。

When I lived in New York, busloads of people used to come across the border on organized shopping trips. And I could understand that. Montreal was a favorite place of mine to visit, but even their largest department store Eaton's was like a discount store; the store displays were really sad compared to US standards. I remember we joked at the fact that every rack had a "solde" sign on it.

Frequently you'd find a Canadian dime mixed in with your change. At that time a Canadian dime was worth less than a US dime. So it was pretty much useless; you really couldn't pass it off again.

[Edited at 2014-01-11 13:37 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
当北京遇到西雅图 Jan 11, 2014

wherestip wrote:

When I lived in New York, busloads of people used to come across the border on organized shopping trips. And I could understand that. Montreal was a favorite place of mine to visit, …

现在美加边界的采购团方向与你那时恰恰是相反的。温哥华的老百姓常开车去华盛顿州的 Factory Outlets采购衣物,顺便再买些食品杂货、灌满汽油。目前华盛顿州的汽油价约为3.35 USD/Gallon。温哥华的汽油价约为1.29 CAD/Liter,相当于 4.48 USD/Gallon。加拿大汽油最贵的是蒙特利尔,约相当于4.90 USD/Gallon,不过与北京、上海的汽油价格(5.00 USD/Gallon以上 )相比,那就是小巫见大巫了。

十几年前我去蒙特利尔时,一美元可兑将近1.7加元,所以什么东西都觉得便宜。但现在一美元只能兑1.09加元。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Canadians on shopping sprees Jan 11, 2014

Yueyin,

Sorry I wasn't clear - my fault. We're talking about the same thing. Canadians used to, and still, come across the border by the busloads to the U.S. side to shop. But like you said, these days they probably drive themselves just so they can fill up on some cheaper gas on the way back.

Over the years while living in NY, I made about 5 or 6 trips to Montreal just for a change of pace. I enjoyed
... See more
Yueyin,

Sorry I wasn't clear - my fault. We're talking about the same thing. Canadians used to, and still, come across the border by the busloads to the U.S. side to shop. But like you said, these days they probably drive themselves just so they can fill up on some cheaper gas on the way back.

Over the years while living in NY, I made about 5 or 6 trips to Montreal just for a change of pace. I enjoyed the atmosphere of Montreal's St. Catherine Street more than that of Manhattan's 5th Ave.. Those days, it was really a cinch crossing the border in both directions. All you needed was a driver's license. The border police would ask a few simple questions, like where you live, the purpose of your trip, and you'd be on your merry way.

It certainly wouldn't be the same these days. First off you'd need a passport, which to me would make it feel like a hassle right away.

[Edited at 2014-01-12 13:37 GMT]
Collapse

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Across the border Jan 11, 2014

Steve,

It was me who misunderstood what you said. So, it was my fault.

When I went to Montreal in 1998, I heard that many US residents went to the Canadian side to buy cosmetics at the duty-free stores or buy medicines in nearby pharmacies. It is true that it was easy to cross the border at that time. Nowadays, it’s not so easy. The US Department of Homeland Security has to take measures against illegal immigrants and terrorists.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
人间沧桑 Jan 11, 2014

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/10/us/greensboro-four-activist-obit/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Five decades ago, Franklin McCain and three fellow African-American college students made history just by sitting down at a Woolworth's lunch counter in Greensboro, North Carolina, and waiting.

And waiting.

And waiting -- for service that never came that day at the whites-only counter.

The four came back the next day. And the next.

Yueyin,

I just read this news item about one of the "Greensboro Four" passing away.

It's hard to believe, but when I first came back to the US in 1979, there was still a Woolworth's (or was it a Woolco?) at the corner of Congress and 6th St. in downtown Austin. I'm not sure when it disappeared; but it was probably before I graduated and left for New York a few years later.

How time flies!

[Edited at 2014-01-12 14:35 GMT]

Jade Liu
Jade Liu  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
做了几年自由译者,感觉这行难有发展 Mar 21, 2014

我以前是在公司做财务的,因为对翻译有着强烈的兴趣,加上本人不喜欢office politics,慢慢走上自由译者的道路。几年过去了,平心而论,对每一份任务我都尽最大努力,最初的客户到如今一直在合作。但是,在物价已经一涨再涨的情况下,翻译价格一成不变,而且业务量也没有大幅增加。有时候莫名其妙地闲一段时间,闲得发慌,而稿件来的时候又一起来,为了赶时间付出了健康的代价。现在我觉得这个只能作为业余时间的兼职,有就做,没有也无所谓。

deleted. (X)
deleted. (X)
Australia
Local time: 11:10
English to Chinese
+ ...
同感 Mar 22, 2014

Jade Liu wrote:

我以前是在公司做财务的,因为对翻译有着强烈的兴趣,加上本人不喜欢office politics,慢慢走上自由译者的道路。几年过去了,平心而论,对每一份任务我都尽最大努力,最初的客户到如今一直在合作。但是,在物价已经一涨再涨的情况下,翻译价格一成不变,而且业务量也没有大幅增加。有时候莫名其妙地闲一段时间,闲得发慌,而稿件来的时候又一起来,为了赶时间付出了健康的代价。现在我觉得这个只能作为业余时间的兼职,有就做,没有也无所谓。

同感!

Michael Arnold
Michael Arnold  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
附议 Apr 1, 2014

Jade Liu wrote:

附议!
现在有点迷茫了,离开翻译行业吧,毕竟在这个行业摸爬滚打这么多年了,离开的话,没多少其他行业的从业经验,只能跟其他才毕业的学生站在同一起跑线竞争;继续的话,真的如同Jade所说,物价飞涨,而译价不变,还要搭上健康的代价。令人好不困惑。

vincentbilly
vincentbilly
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
新人想进入围城 求指点 Apr 1, 2014

Michael Arnold wrote:

Jade Liu wrote:

附议!
现在有点迷茫了,离开翻译行业吧,毕竟在这个行业摸爬滚打这么多年了,离开的话,没多少其他行业的从业经验,只能跟其他才毕业的学生站在同一起跑线竞争;继续的话,真的如同Jade所说,物价飞涨,而译价不变,还要搭上健康的代价。令人好不困惑。

Few translation companies in China are willing to pay freelance translators over RMB 70/1000 Chinese characters.

Kenneth Woo
Kenneth Woo
China
English to Chinese
譯價為何一直原地踏步? Apr 1, 2014

我深知翻譯這一行前途黯淡,但頑疾在身,只有明知不可為而為之。

有一點我一直想不通,各行從業人員薪資均上漲,為何獨獨譯者的待遇還是十幾年前的水平?要說行業混亂,其他行業又何嘗不是如此?

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
国内笔译行业是个被严重贬值的行业 Apr 1, 2014

Kenneth Woo wrote:

其真正的价值并没有体现出来。

[Edited at 2014-04-01 14:24 GMT]

Leo Ning
Leo Ning
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
同意。做啥翻译呀 Apr 1, 2014

Jade Liu wrote:

翻译这行,谁做谁知道。
一般对于新人,我是建议,有别的门路,别做翻译。能做口译,别做笔译。
对于实在“冥顽不化”、貌似铁了心一定要做翻译的,只能是建议:态度高于水平,认真对待每个案子,努力提升水平。

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
开发国际市场 Apr 1, 2014

Kenneth Woo wrote:

小吴:

政府是不会关心翻译这一群体的,唯有靠自己解放自己。给国内客户干,确实没什么前途,但你若能积极开发国际市场,根据你的专业背景和实力来看,前途不会黯淡。

[Edited at 2014-04-02 00:33 GMT]

Kenneth Woo
Kenneth Woo
China
English to Chinese
做翻譯 Apr 2, 2014

@J. H. Wang

其實不光國內市場,國際市場中,筆譯的薪資水平也在走低,跟其他行業形成鮮明對比。

@老孫

老孫,謝謝你給我建議並鼓勵我。

我最近給不少歐洲譯社投了簡歷,可似乎全都石沉大海,渺無回音,也許是他們嫌我經驗不夠,又非某領域的專業人士。

你提到了我的專業。很可惜,我大學雖學化工,但未學好,學的一點可憐的知識也已忘得一乾二淨。想想真後悔,要是我化工學好了,現在就可派上用場,不會老翻譯一些人人都能翻譯的文章。要改變當前處境,我知道唯有痛下苦功。我現在已經開始複習高中化學和大學的課本了。

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

新人想进入围城 求指点

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »