Work for Chinese translators in England?
Thread poster: A-Trans
A-Trans

Local time: 20:13
Member (Aug 2017)
Chinese to English
Nov 27, 2004

Hi,
I'm English and I'm considering taking an MA in Chinese translation in London next year. Having spent a few years in China and Taiwan, I was hoping that I could come back to England and work.

I'm completely new to the translation industry so I'm sorry if these are obvious questions for the "proz".

1) There's certainly a lot of courses available here, but is there any work?
2) It seems to me that much of the work is freelance and many of the translators live in China. Is this also true for Chinese to English translators?
3)Is there much "in house" Chinese translation work in the UK where I could first build the skills to enter the freelancing life?
4) Is there a more common route for MA graduates to take? Can anyone recommend a good place to start looking into employment prospects in the UK?

Thankyou in advance for any help, it will be much appreciated!

Andrew

Direct link Reply with quote

btspirit
English to Chinese
there should be much more works than we think! Nov 28, 2004

Hi Andrew!

There should be much more! While we are find the customers need services ,they are finding us simultaneously.There are always connection problems between customers and freelancers ,this is why translation companies/agencies always have works ,organizations are much more easier to find than individuals.

I suggest you get a job in a organization first!

Beth Dennison  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:13
Chinese to English
+ ...
No shortage of work Nov 28, 2004

AndrewMethven wrote:

Hi,
I'm English and I'm considering taking an MA in Chinese translation in London next year. Having spent a few years in China and Taiwan, I was hoping that I could come back to England and work.

I'm completely new to the translation industry so I'm sorry if these are obvious questions for the "proz".

1) There's certainly a lot of courses available here, but is there any work?
2) It seems to me that much of the work is freelance and many of the translators live in China. Is this also true for Chinese to English translators?
3)Is there much "in house" Chinese translation work in the UK where I could first build the skills to enter the freelancing life?
4) Is there a more common route for MA graduates to take? Can anyone recommend a good place to start looking into employment prospects in the UK?

Thankyou in advance for any help, it will be much appreciated!

Andrew

Hello Andrew,

I'm English and am working in the UK as a freelance Chinese>English translator.

I haven't looked into "in-house" translation work here, but I can say that, in my experience, there is a lot of freelance work available. I regularly work for agencies in both China and the UK - work I gained from sending out my CV to various agencies.

Many Chinese>English translators do live in China, but, as long as you produce good quality work, I don't believe that it makes any difference where you are located.

If you want to chat further about employment posibilities, feel free to contact me through my profile page.

Beth

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Work for Chinese translators in England?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search