Thread poster: deleted. (X)
deleted. (X)
deleted. (X)
Australia
Local time: 22:45
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jan 13, 2015

I saw that proz.com member Elodie Bonnafous wrote this post about translating "We are one" into all possible languages:

http://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/280298-need_to_translate_we_are_one_in_all_possible_languages.html

As translating into Chinese cannot be a staight forward literal translation of 我们是
... See more
I saw that proz.com member Elodie Bonnafous wrote this post about translating "We are one" into all possible languages:

http://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/280298-need_to_translate_we_are_one_in_all_possible_languages.html

As translating into Chinese cannot be a staight forward literal translation of 我们是一(or 一个人/一体), I'd like to suggest that we start a little discussion here and and pool ideas, see what punchy lines in Chinese we can get. Anyone interested?

Let me start the ball rolling:

我们的心在一起 (我们同心)
Collapse

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:45
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
"We are one" Jan 14, 2015

萬眾一心

Yan Yuliang
Yan Yuliang  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:45
English to Chinese
+ ...
we are one Jan 14, 2015

休戚与共

一荣俱荣,一损俱损

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
比较喜欢这个译法 Jan 14, 2015

pkchan wrote:

萬眾一心

从表达效果上看,可能是最好的译法了。不过,还是要补充完整:我们万众一心。

Jinhang Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
直译 Jan 14, 2015

he-li wrote:

As translating into Chinese cannot be a staight forward literal translation of 我们是一(or 一个人/一体), I'd like to suggest that we start a little discussion here and and pool ideas, see what punchy lines in Chinese we can get. Anyone interested?

Let me start the ball rolling:

我们的心在一起 (我们同心)

其实,我觉得直译也可以考虑:我们是一体的;我们合而为一;我们是一个整体。不过,表达力度可能弱一点。

Hsiao-Ni Fulton
Hsiao-Ni Fulton
United States
Local time: 20:45
http://chi.proz.com/forum/chinese/280318-translating_we_are_one_into_chinese.html Jan 14, 2015

我們因"語言"而合為ㄧ

deleted. (X)
deleted. (X)
Australia
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Focus on the message Jan 14, 2015

Seems we have different ideas about this. I'm not happy with my translation, but so far, it seems to me it is a better one because the other alternatives, IMO, take a different direction and fail to get across the message that 'we are there for each other, united in heart and soul" which is my understanding of the message. Any more ideas?

Jinhang Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
基本同意你的看法 Jan 14, 2015

he-li wrote:

Seems we have different ideas about this. I'm not happy with my translation, but so far, it seems to me it is a better one because the other alternatives, IMO, take a different direction and fail to get across the message that 'we are there for each other, united in heart and soul" which is my understanding of the message. Any more ideas?

之所以难以完美地用中文传达原文的意思,主要的原因在于中文的语言、词汇资源的限制以及文化上的差异。当然,也与于译者的水平有关系。期待更佳的版本出现!:-)

[Edited at 2015-01-14 09:26 GMT]

deleted. (X)
deleted. (X)
Australia
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Making new words Jan 14, 2015

J.H. Wang wrote:
词汇资源的限制

我也有同感。采用字母的英文可以比较容易地造词,而且可以利用拉丁语/希腊语的资源创造很丰富的词汇,大家都能懂。中文里没有这个资源。在我们这个时代,该发明的汉字都已经发明出来了。可能最后一个发明的汉字是一千年前武则天给自己起名时发明的汉字。我们现在可以使用的汉字资源比较有限。五四运动前后,从日本借来很多词(科学、政府、经济、申请、电话、社会主义,等等)。现在我在学习古文,目的是为了掌握更多的汉字用法,以供在需要的时候造词。

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Why reinvent the wheel Jan 14, 2015

IMO, what pk and J.H. suggested is excellent - 我们万众一心 . To me, the words are crisp, the message is clear.

United, we are one - 我们团结一致、众志成城

We are united in heart and soul - 我们同心同德

此外,我个人认为 "(我们) 休戚与共、患难与共、同甘共苦、风雨同舟、同舟共济 ..." 这类成语 在此处语境中使用也都是非常恰当的。...

[Edited at 2015-01-14 12:12 GMT]

deleted. (X)
deleted. (X)
Australia
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
成语 Jan 14, 2015

wherestip wrote:

IMO, what pk and J.H. suggested is excellent - 我们万众一心 . To me, the words are crisp, the message is clear.

我一开始也是从成语中去找。我查找描述团结的同义成语,看到好几个,包括“万众一心”,但是都感觉不很合适,因而没有采用。比如这个‘万众一心’,它在使用中几乎总是与动员民众共同从事一项大事情相关。所以当它单独出现时,给我的心理期待是接下来要有很隆重的事情。而We are one没有给我那种感觉,它给我的感觉是在强调一种状态,而不是为一个集体大行动发出先声。

[Edited at 2015-01-14 12:59 GMT]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
The Paris Unity March Jan 14, 2015

he-li wrote:

wherestip wrote:

我一开始也是从成语中去找。我查找描述团结的同义成语,看到好几个,包括“万众一心”,但是都感觉不很合适,因而没有采用。比如这个‘万众一心’,它在使用中几乎总是与动员民众共同从事一项大事情相关。所以当它单独出现时,给我的心理期待是接下来要有很隆重的事情。而We are one没有给我那种感觉,它给我的感觉是在强调一种状态,而不是为一个集体大行动发出先声。

he-li,

I agree with what you're saying. Not unlike many of the discussions we had before in this forum, the critical job of translation is to capture the essence of the expression, the predominant mood or sentiment of the circumstance. And IMO, in this instance, it is therefore wide open to different emotions and interpretations.

That's also the reason why I think terms such as "休戚与共、同舟共济" etc. are considerably appropriate in this context. To me, it's the essence, or heart and soul of the slogan "We are one" (that currently resonates around the world).

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

http://www.iciba.com/坚如磐石
3. The solidarity among China's various nationalities is as firm as a rock.
中国各族人民之间的团结坚如磐石.

p.s. Never mind the English "equivalent"; IMO, the Chinese sentence is sufficiently authentic.

[Edited at 2015-01-14 14:55 GMT]

Yan Yuliang
Yan Yuliang  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
朴实一点 Jan 14, 2015

我们是一家人。

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Context Jan 14, 2015

wherestip wrote:

"We are one" 这句话的背景是 “after last week's terrorist attacks” 以及 Steve 所指出的 The Unity March。所以,以上各位的建议都很好。类似地,也可译为“我们同仇敌忾”。

此讨论使我想起以前在电影 “Why We Fight” 中看到的一句话: “China is now our fighting ally. Or more accurately, we are China. China has been fighting our enemy, Japan, for seven long years.” 同样,翻译其中的 “we are China” 时,也得考虑到其背景与上下文。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
更上一层楼 Jan 14, 2015

ysun wrote:

wherestip wrote:

"We are one" 这句话的背景是 “after last week's terrorist attacks” 以及 Steve 所指出的 The Unity March。所以,以上各位的建议都很好。类似地,也可译为“我们同仇敌忾”。

此讨论使我想起以前在电影 “Why We Fight” 中看到的一句话: “China is now our fighting ally. Or more accurately, we are China. China has been fighting our enemy, Japan, for seven long years.” 同样,翻译其中的 “we are China” 时,也得考虑到其背景与上下文。

Yueyin,

"我们同仇敌忾" 真可谓是 画龙点睛,说到实质上了。...

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating 'We are one' into Chinese

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »