互助
Thread poster: Kenneth Woo
Kenneth Woo
Kenneth Woo
China
Local time: 06:07
English to Chinese
Jul 21, 2015

翻譯幾乎每日都會碰到難詞難句,大部分可查閱資料或工具書解決,但往往並非全部如此。把自己不能解決的疑難詞句發到論壇,一來同仁的回覆未必及時,二來有些內容也不便公開。自己絞盡腦汁呢,辛苦不說,為區區三兩處難點,甚至一處難點,耗費大量時間,實在不值,而且有時迫不得已,憋出的譯文自己也並不一定有十足把握。

有鑒於此,我想尋幾位母語是英語的同仁,大家相互幫助。有疑難問題,先自己盡力解決,實在不行,則請對方幫助,聯繫可用電郵,亦可用Skype或QQ。

有意者可發郵件給我。謝謝。

Ivan Niu
Ivan Niu  Identity Verified
China
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
母語是英語的同仁 Jul 22, 2015

如果你想求助于母语是英语的翻译,可在Kudoz中发布English>English的question,可以母语译员就会为你解释,根据我的经历,一般5-15分钟内都会有回复。效率高又有帮助。
我非常喜欢这种做,有时候我觉得特别难理解的东西,一发布,他们却觉得特别容易理解,而且会分析得很清楚。文化差异就是这么有意思。

Kenneth Woo
Kenneth Woo
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
問題是 Jul 22, 2015

謝謝你提的這個好建議,Ivan。我用過KudoZ。問題是有些文件內容不便公開。如果可以公開,那我也許就不會發帖了。

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:07
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
難題的長短有關係嗎? Jul 22, 2015

Kenneth Woo wrote:

謝謝你提的這個好建議,Ivan。我用過KudoZ。問題是有些文件內容不便公開。如果可以公開,那我也許就不會發帖了。

Ken and Ivan,

同意 Ivan 的建議。我們很多友好同仁例如 Phil Hand, Michelle Deeter, Lincoln Hui, Geof Aberhart, Sharon Toh 等來自不同時區,他們都是英語為母語、經驗豐富的譯者,經常會及時出現 Kudoz 幫助大家解答英文難題。

中文論壇與 Kudoz 不同,只限於討論問題交流心得,而不是提供詞語難題解答,答中有獎分的地方。

据我了解,通常客戶對於一兩個詞語難題都不會介意譯者去求問于專業的公開平臺。看來會不會是你的難題都是一句或兩三句長的,所以不便公開太多内容?

我以前遇到過在搜尋答案時將 Kudoz 難題的其他内容一併找到。 遇到這種情形,我都只會提出難題的答案,而不會透露全篇文章内容,以尊重問者的保密協議原則。

話説回來,如果在互聯網也可以找到的原文,可能已經不是什麽保密了 。不過,最終還是需要尊重他人的保密原則,點到即止,無需在建議答案中透露太多。

[Edited at 2015-07-22 12:03 GMT]

Kenneth Woo
Kenneth Woo
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
有些文稿客戶並未明言須加保密 Jul 22, 2015

David:

許多難詞,不給出上下文,我們的洋同仁也愛莫能助。雖然有的文稿內容平常無奇,不涉機密,客戶也未明言須加保密,但有的客戶大有來頭,想來是不願自己的文稿內容(尤其是整句))可以在論壇搜到的。

[Edited at 2015-07-22 23:43 GMT]

Kenneth Woo
Kenneth Woo
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
補充一句:此帖長期有效 Jul 22, 2015

如題,此帖長期有效。

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:07
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Improving your English (usage) Jul 23, 2015

Hey Ken,

It's been a while.

Not sure which field of study/subject matter are you talking about here, but with any language, I always find that social media and popular culture is SUCH a great help. Other than interacting with fellow translators, if you manage, commit yourself to watching some of the latest TV series and variety shows.

They call this the "golden age of television" right now. Me, the fact that I just finished "Lost"'s series finale tells you
... See more
Hey Ken,

It's been a while.

Not sure which field of study/subject matter are you talking about here, but with any language, I always find that social media and popular culture is SUCH a great help. Other than interacting with fellow translators, if you manage, commit yourself to watching some of the latest TV series and variety shows.

They call this the "golden age of television" right now. Me, the fact that I just finished "Lost"'s series finale tells you how behind I am. That being said, there are some AMAZING TV shows on right now.

有点离题了,但像David所说,论坛最主要是用作交流,多多使用Kudoz, 或参考以前的Kudoz entry 挺有帮助的。
Collapse

Preston Decker
Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:07
Chinese to English
Great idea Jul 23, 2015

I already do this (mutual consulting/proofreading with a native source speaker) with my translation partner, so I'm not available for this, but I do want to say that I think it's a great idea, and in my opinion this model should be far more common than it is in the translation industry. This is true for our language pair especially, because in my experience most agencies do not pay to have CN>EN or EN>CN editing/proofreading services done by a native speaker in the source pair, meaning that mist... See more
I already do this (mutual consulting/proofreading with a native source speaker) with my translation partner, so I'm not available for this, but I do want to say that I think it's a great idea, and in my opinion this model should be far more common than it is in the translation industry. This is true for our language pair especially, because in my experience most agencies do not pay to have CN>EN or EN>CN editing/proofreading services done by a native speaker in the source pair, meaning that mistakes in difficult passages are often never caught during TEP. If you can find someone to partner with (I would try PMing some of the newer CN>EN translators on Proz with a proposal) I think you'll be amazed at the extent to which you'll benefit from this.

Kudoz and continued study are of course also great supporting methods, but I don't think anything beats the input of another translator. If you read the posts of some of the older translators out there, they often bemoan the lack of "red ink" on translations today--30 or 40 years ago, translators would start out in an agency where their work would be torn to pieces by more experienced translators in editing and proofreading. I wish I had the link on hand, but I remember reading one of the better known translators today talking about how humbling an experience it was for him, as a hot shot young translator in the 70s or 80s, to face floods of red ink on most of his translations when he started in-house. As he said, the years of eating 'humble pie' he had to start his career was not fun, but it made him into a much better translator.

Today, all of us are off in our own little bubbles. I only receive feedback/editing on perhaps 10% of projects I hand in, and only about half of that feedback is useful. So by that measure we're receiving perhaps 20 times less feedback than our in-house predecessors, and this is not a good thing for us or for our clients.

A bit of a rant, but basically I think partnering with someone else is a great idea, and both you and your 'partner' would benefit greatly from this.
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
Well Jul 24, 2015

Preston Decker wrote:
red ink

See the number of forum posts that take incredible offense at even receiving feedback, much less accept it.

Kenneth Woo
Kenneth Woo
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
@Rita @Preston @Lincoln Jul 24, 2015

@Rita
是啊,好久沒聯絡了!謝謝妳提的建議。電影電視、網絡論壇之中,確能學到尋常書刊中難以學到的東西,儲諸腹笥,將來能省去不少查閱資料的時間。不過,語言之龐雜無比,真非人力所能完全掌握。博學如傅雷者,翻譯法國名著,仍常常羅列上百疑難於紙上,去信法國向人求教。才學淺薄如我者,就更不消說了。

疑難每位譯者都會遇到,而且有些搜遍網
... See more
@Rita
是啊,好久沒聯絡了!謝謝妳提的建議。電影電視、網絡論壇之中,確能學到尋常書刊中難以學到的東西,儲諸腹笥,將來能省去不少查閱資料的時間。不過,語言之龐雜無比,真非人力所能完全掌握。博學如傅雷者,翻譯法國名著,仍常常羅列上百疑難於紙上,去信法國向人求教。才學淺薄如我者,就更不消說了。

疑難每位譯者都會遇到,而且有些搜遍網絡,翻遍書櫃最終仍懸而不得解,非向人請教不可,只是遇到有些稿件,我不想公開討論其中詞句。

電視我今後會多看的,最愛英國劇。: )

@Preston
你我看法大致一樣。

我尋以英語為母語的同仁,主要是想大家相互幫助,解決疑難。至於把各自的譯稿拿給對方過目提提意見,甚至修改,自然能使彼此收益匪淺,不過此舉既費時,又無酬勞,一般人恐不願自討苦吃。

@Lincoln
能得同仁免費批評,高興尚來不及,動怒真是難以理解。批評譯文的同仁多出於一番好意,即便其批評毫無價值,說聲謝謝即可,動氣實在不必;至於出言傷人,可謂以怨報德,不僅傷害批評之人,自己也風度盡失。

如果我哪天貼出什麼譯文,大家只管批評。我偶爾用英文寫帖子,如果大家發現有何欠妥處,也歡迎大家指正。

[Edited at 2015-07-24 13:33 GMT]
Collapse

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:07
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
朋 友 Jul 24, 2015

Kenneth Woo wrote: 有些文稿客戶並未明言須加保密

David:

許多難詞,不給出上下文,我們的洋同仁也愛莫能助。雖然有的文稿內容平常無奇,不涉機密,客戶也未明言須加保密,但有的客戶大有來頭,想來是不願自己的文稿內容(尤其是整句))可以在論壇搜到的。

的確,語境對於翻譯準確性的影響非常大,同意沒有給出上下文,洋同仁可能會感到比較困難。

客戶的來頭問題可能有時候需要顧慮一下。建議可以稍微修改原文一些無關痛癢的詞語,讓句子出現不同的名詞或形容詞,甚至單數變眾數,男性變女性等。 這樣客戶就不會覺得原文被公開透露,但卻保存你需要答案的問題所在,出現在 KudoZ 問答平臺上。

我自己有一個原則,就是需要用作呈堂(法院)作供的法律文件,為免不必要麻煩,我都不會讓一個字出現在任何網上平臺。可是當遇上這種情形,而我有詞語方面的疑惑時,我只好打電話向相熟的行内朋友求教。

所以,平常除了需要建立字彙數據庫外,我都會不斷擴大自己的新朋友圈子。

他們不一定是翻譯員,而是在特定行業上有豐富經驗的人士,例如旅遊、金融、會計、飲食業、法律、司法、醫學、衛生健康、商業、市場推廣、電腦。甚至宗教、哲學、科學、教育文化、政治外交等。

通常我的朋友被問到問題時,知道是作翻譯之用,他們都會非常樂意花幾分鐘時間出一臂之力協助解答一兩個詞語的難題。

對他們來説,他們每天都在使用其行業詞彙,通常我的問題對他們而言,都是非常容易之事。

當然,事後必須找機會多找朋友出來聊聊天,喝喝咖啡,享受下午茶,甚至午餐晚飯,聯絡感情,也順便多謝一下他們的熱心幫助。相信這點你是聰明人,不用我多說了。

Kenneth Woo
Kenneth Woo
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
KudoZ Jul 26, 2015

David Lin wrote:

Kenneth Woo wrote: 有些文稿客戶並未明言須加保密

David:

的確,語境對於翻譯準確性的影響非常大,同意沒有給出上下文,洋同仁可能會感到比較困難。

客戶的來頭問題可能有時候需要顧慮一下。建議可以稍微修改原文一些無關痛癢的詞語,讓句子出現不同的名詞或形容詞,甚至單數變眾數,男性變女性等。 這樣客戶就不會覺得原文被公開透露,但卻保存你需要答案的問題所在,出現在 KudoZ 問答平臺上。

David:

這個方法其實我老早就開始用了,確實不失為一個好方法,以後還會用的。

至於廣結專業人士為友朋,小弟身處小縣城,不甚容易。我倒是加入了一些律師群、化工群,有時能幫忙解決一些問題,不過總受人恩惠而無以報答,也有些不好意思。

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

互助

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »