Off topic: Chinese (?) name: Leung
Thread poster: sassa
sassa
sassa  Identity Verified
Spanish to Greek
+ ...
May 18, 2005

Dear All,

I would like to know if "Leung" is a name for a man or a woman.

It is the name of a person I write to in Hong Kong.

Thank you!

Sassa.

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 13:35
English to Chinese
+ ...
Could be both May 18, 2005

sassa wrote:

Dear All,

I would like to know if "Leung" is a name for a man or a woman.

It is the name of a person I write to in Hong Kong.

Thank you!

Sassa.

Leung is probably a family name which is common in Cantonese for Chinese Liang.

However, if it should be a fore-name, it can be a man or a woman. The only one way to figure out is to ask the person who bears the name.

sassa
sassa  Identity Verified
Spanish to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Wenjer! May 18, 2005

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:

Leung is probably a family name which is common in Cantonese for Chinese Liang.

However, if it should be a fore-name, it can be a man or a woman. The only one way to figure out is to ask the person who bears the name.

Well, I suppose it is a forename, since it is the only name in the signature after "Regards,". I don't know if it is habitual in Hong Kong to sign using only the surname. So, what's left to do is directly ask the person.

Again thank you for your reply

S.

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
Right, ask the person! May 20, 2005

sassa wrote:

Well, I suppose it is a forename, since it is the only name in the signature after "Regards,". I don't know if it is habitual in Hong Kong to sign using only the surname. So, what's left to do is directly ask the person.

Again thank you for your reply

S.

Hmm, how about that, if I answer you and put my name at the end of the writing as follows?

Best regards,
Leuschel

P.S. It could very well be a surname and even a very typicall surname for Hong Kong people who speak Cantonese.

[Edited at 2005-05-20 13:55]

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 17:35
Chinese to English
Sounds like a man to me May 21, 2005

Sounds like a man to me. In my experience, with Malaysian Chinese friends at uni, men are called by their surname, for example Teoh (or full name eg Teoh Tee Tong if you know them well - Tee Tong being the given name.) Or if they are Christians, they will be called David Teoh.

Girls sign Betty Ong (if Christian) or Ong Swee Im, but rarely just Ong in my experience, though it is a matter of personal preference I guess, and my memory may not be serving me too well because I am out of
... See more
Sounds like a man to me. In my experience, with Malaysian Chinese friends at uni, men are called by their surname, for example Teoh (or full name eg Teoh Tee Tong if you know them well - Tee Tong being the given name.) Or if they are Christians, they will be called David Teoh.

Girls sign Betty Ong (if Christian) or Ong Swee Im, but rarely just Ong in my experience, though it is a matter of personal preference I guess, and my memory may not be serving me too well because I am out of this setting now.

To me the way men sign or are called Leung is like the British system at boys' schools, where boys are called Smith, Brown, Thompson etc. Added to this is that the given name is used more with people who you are familiar with, family, friends, schoolmates and the surname is used more in everyday business dealings, in Chinese society I feel (compared to English and certainly NZ society). It's partly because titles are used more in Chinese too, like Engineer Li, Teacher Zhang etc. (In NZ people are on first name terms quite quickly compared to say Britain, which is more class-conscious.)

Hope this helps.
Collapse

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 17:35
Chinese to English
Leung is a typical surname May 21, 2005

P.S. It could very well be a surname and even a very typicall surname for Hong Kong people who speak Cantonese.

[Edited at 2005-05-20 13:55][/quote]

Agree, Leung is a typical surname in Hong Kong as we know from some famous movie stars, I think.

Tony Leung Chiu-Wai
... Tony Leung Chiu Wai (b. June 27, 1962. Hong Kong) is regarded as one of the
... both of which landed him best actor awards at the Hong
... See more

[Edited at 2005-05-20 13:55][/quote]

Agree, Leung is a typical surname in Hong Kong as we know from some famous movie stars, I think.

Tony Leung Chiu-Wai
... Tony Leung Chiu Wai (b. June 27, 1962. Hong Kong) is regarded as one of the
... both of which landed him best actor awards at the Hong Kong Film Awards. ...
www.lovehkfilm.com/people/leung_chiu_wai.htm - 32k - Cached - Similar pages

Tony Leung in the mood for acting_life_English_SINA.com
... a heart-throb film star in Hong Kong, Tony Leung has obtained many film awards
... On the future trend of the Hong Kong film industry, Leung said joint ...
english.sina.com/life/p/1/2005/0421/28561.html - 16k - Cached - Similar pages
Collapse

HymnLau
HymnLau
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
It's a surname... :-) May 22, 2005

It's one of top 10 surnames in term of population.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Chinese (?) name: Leung

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »