What is the highest of TOEFL anybody achieved here?
Thread poster: Rafale
Rafale
Rafale
Uzbekistan
Local time: 19:06
Russian to English
+ ...
Jun 20, 2002

Please enlighten me with this information if you do not consider it confidential.

Chinoise
Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:06
English to Chinese
+ ...
Believe me or not: Jun 20, 2002

One of my former students(a native Chinese girl) in China achieved a full mark(677) on the TOEFL test before I came to Canada.

TOEFL questions are as easy as the one you have asked here.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-21 00:43 ]

David Rockell (X)
David Rockell (X)
Chinese to English
I got zero Jun 20, 2002

To tell you the truth, my English isn\'t the greatest having grown up in a remote farming community where on average only three sentences where (verbally) exchanged every day before moving as a teenager to a country of one billion where I talked for eight hours a day about things I knew absolutely nothing about and am only just starting to appreciate. Scores are for the birds. At least I hope them red craned herons are scoring in their migratory habitats. Anyhow, I was always against the TOEFL t... See more
To tell you the truth, my English isn\'t the greatest having grown up in a remote farming community where on average only three sentences where (verbally) exchanged every day before moving as a teenager to a country of one billion where I talked for eight hours a day about things I knew absolutely nothing about and am only just starting to appreciate. Scores are for the birds. At least I hope them red craned herons are scoring in their migratory habitats. Anyhow, I was always against the TOEFL test in that, in my mind anyway, it summons up the ideas of a dirty loofah (something to do with toes) and smacked of force-fed apple pie. IELTS seems to be rivalling its elder sibling in Mainland China. Actually, Chinese love these things but it of course it matters little outside of academia. What people want to know is whether you have a blind clue about what they have said (and if not, nodding and smiling works, belive me) I once knew a chap that spoke no English at all but managed to fool a group of around 20 people(university faculty) over a period of 2 years by just repeating affirmative phrases whenever questioned. The end result was he was sacked but not for linguistic ineptitude but for sleeping with the daughter of th HOD. Before anyone attacks me saying that TOEFL is a test of a foreign language, please check to see what my native language actually is (this infomation will be available via Henry\'s native speaker accrediatation system!!!)Collapse

Rafale
Rafale
Uzbekistan
Local time: 19:06
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Folks you got an agreement to present opposite poles? Jun 21, 2002

If bare of emotions I\'d rather suspend any judgement on the point as a bit beyond my reach yet. Thank You BBW,linguist and David Rockell.

What about the Cambridge CPE (certificate of proficiency in English)? Is it worthy sitting for a beginning linguist\'s self- and external esteem.
[addsig]

Chinoise
English to Chinese
+ ...
CPE? Jun 21, 2002

I used to drink a large POT of strong green tea before venturing to suggest a humble answer to one of those seemingly illusive questions. Yes, indeed, British prescriptive grammarians are highly respectable even if they don\'t have any KudoZ points.

Li-chuan Yen
Li-chuan Yen  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:06
English to Chinese
My experience Jun 22, 2002

7 years ago (when I was young and innocent ), I got 620. However, I fell asleep during the listening part. The reason I took TOEFL is that I was planning to study in the States. But then I sat in IELT and got a very good mark. I ended up going to London for my postgrad course. I never thought of using my TOEFL achievement (if you can call it that) as a proof of my English proficiency because it\'s too long ago.

Chinoise
English to Chinese
+ ...
What a genius you are! Jun 22, 2002

Quote:
I got 620. However, I fell asleep during the listening part. The reason I took TOEFL is that...

Hi, Miss Yen.

You took a nap and then got 620 right out of the other two parts of the test? incroyable!

何Чと谋眶ㄓ碞祇瞷粂ぃョ贾る窗筁р¨稼瑆舽¨稰谋疭慌!

Li-chuan Yen
Li-chuan Yen  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:06
English to Chinese
Thank you Jun 23, 2002

\"You took a nap and then got 620 right out of the other two parts of the test? incroyable!\"

No, no. Only missed a few minutes.

Chinoise
English to Chinese
+ ...
您好,Laurie! Jun 23, 2002

Laurie,您好! 趁着您還在網上漫游﹐趕緊向您請教兩個問題﹕1)倫敦作為一個老城﹐為何至今看上去仍然煥然一新? 倫敦人口音那麼重﹐你是怎樣排除萬難拿碩士學位的? 2)我昨天斗膽回答了一個中文問題﹐好象是跟台灣的“A 錢”有關﹐我想, 作為繁體漢語高手﹐你對這個問題應該最有發言權了﹐這個“A”跟英語有無聯係﹖謝謝。

Betty

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-23 16:39 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-23 16:47 ]

Summit
Summit
English to Chinese
+ ...
felt a sleep Jun 24, 2002

You are right to the point.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the highest of TOEFL anybody achieved here?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »