Thread poster: Edward LIU
Edward LIU
Edward LIU  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:21
Chinese to English
+ ...
Aug 14, 2005

Can anyone help to explain the certification of translator/interpreter in Canada?

I would assume that one needs to be certified to be an interpreter or translator in Canada and US. I heard that in order to be eligible for candidature to a Canadian translator association, one should have three published works and two references. Is this true?

Should these recommendation letters be sent by individual translators or members of this association?

How long will
... See more
Can anyone help to explain the certification of translator/interpreter in Canada?

I would assume that one needs to be certified to be an interpreter or translator in Canada and US. I heard that in order to be eligible for candidature to a Canadian translator association, one should have three published works and two references. Is this true?

Should these recommendation letters be sent by individual translators or members of this association?

How long will a license/membership be issued after one submits an application? Is there an examination to take after sending application materials? Is there a national association in Canada that can issue translation license valid all over Canada?

What about in the US? Is ATA membership valid throughout the country? Is a membership a license anyway?
Collapse

Chinoise
Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:21
English to Chinese
+ ...
FYI Aug 14, 2005

To the best of my knowledge, in order to get certified (in Canada), every candidate must pass the National Certification Examination.

All the relevant information can be found at:

www.deraaij.com/irt/assoc.htmlevery candidate must pass the National Certification Examination.

All the relevant information can be found at:

www.deraaij.com/irt/assoc.html

64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:8AVbgAGmn-YJ:www.stibc.org/whats_new.php%20CTTIC%20Certification%20Exam&hl=en

www.cttic.org/e_certif.htm#Certification%20Examinations

Good luck!

Edward LIU wrote:

Is there an examination to take after sending application materials? Is there a national association in Canada that can issue translation license valid all over Canada?

[Edited at 2005-08-14 14:19]
Collapse

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 19:21
English to Chinese
+ ...
Great, Betty! Aug 14, 2005

Great, Betty! Thanks a lot. I was about to search for information concerning this topic, too. You are always ready to help and I appreciate that a lot.

Have a nice Sunday!

Edward LIU
Edward LIU  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:21
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank for your links, Betty, Aug 14, 2005

A thousand thanks for your useful links, Betty,

I browsed these links and found several associations in Canada.
I learnt from CTIC that registration is usually in the early fall,but there is scanty information on how to register.

Can you tell me how to register for an examination and what credentials or references one should bring to register? Is it possible to register online or one has to appear in person for registration?

How can I obtain deta
... See more

I browsed these links and found several associations in Canada.
I learnt from CTIC that registration is usually in the early fall,but there is scanty information on how to register.

Can you tell me how to register for an examination and what credentials or references one should bring to register? Is it possible to register online or one has to appear in person for registration?

How can I obtain detailed information package on these examinations including sample test papers?

Does passing one of its examinations, say translation examination, mean a membership or a licence? Is there other licenses one must apply in order to practise translation/interpretation in Canada?

If one has passed this examination, is it also necessary to apply for a membership at any provincial associations such as OTIAQ, STIBC and ATIO? Do these local associations also administer their own examinations for candidature? Are their memberships also recognized in other provinces?
Collapse

Chinoise
Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:21
English to Chinese
+ ...
Bonne chance! Aug 14, 2005

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:

Great, Betty! Thanks a lot.

You are welcome, Wenjer!

Edward LIU wrote:

You are welcome, Edward!
For more information, please contact the above-listed organizations DIRECTLY.

Bonne chance!

[Edited at 2005-08-15 14:27]

Scott Webber (X)
Scott Webber (X)
Canada
Local time: 04:21
A note on certification in Canada May 24, 2008

[ In brief: Anyone can work as a translator and interpreter in Canada. ]

In Canada, two forms of professional certification are practised: licensure and registration.

The practise of some professions requires a license (e.g., medicine, law, etc.).

Most professions, however, are unlicensed, including translation and interpretation.

Some people who practise unlicensed professions choose to band together and form professional societies. These soci
... See more
[ In brief: Anyone can work as a translator and interpreter in Canada. ]

In Canada, two forms of professional certification are practised: licensure and registration.

The practise of some professions requires a license (e.g., medicine, law, etc.).

Most professions, however, are unlicensed, including translation and interpretation.

Some people who practise unlicensed professions choose to band together and form professional societies. These societies often register the titles used by their members, restricting use of those titles to members of the societies.

In some professions, one or a few professional societies have arranged privileged relationships with government or other organizations that are beneficial to their members. In these professions, where access to certain clients is often monopolized by members of the favoured society or societies, most professionals will choose to become members.

But in most professions, professional societies either do not exist or have little real clout.

For translation and interpretation, membership with a Canadian professional society may or may not be necessary, depending on what you want to do. (I do not know what the situation with court interpreting is, for instance.)

Personally, professional membership has never come up in my very part-time Chinese-English translation practice.

[Edited at 2008-05-24 20:28]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translator certification in Canada & US

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »